Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best lens for astro panoramic?

RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best lens for astro panoramic?

At some point I will be putting together a robotic head astro kit.

It will likely be a 6d with a gigapan epic pro and a chunky feisol tripod with their levelling base.

The gigapan will likely have it'd bed replaced with the rrs arca platform because the original is frankly poor. (I am looking at alternative robotic heads like the kolor panogear )

I plan to use this with one lens -the question is which?

Somewhere between 20 and 50mm fast and all round good. Thinking canon 24l or sigma 35 or even samyang? Doesn't need autofocus or even electronic aperture just sharp, low CA and comma etc.

I assume I will be stopping down from 1.4 a bit

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:23 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best lens for astro panoramic?

I think it all comes down to how many seconds of exposure you need to capture enough stars. Because the Gigapan isn't an equatorial head (which you wouldn't want anyway, since the foreground would "move"), you'll probably be limited to no more than 10-20 seconds, depending on how large you want to print.

I found a post on DPReview by Royce Bair (http://intothenightphoto.blogspot.com/). I think his work is probably similar to what you are looking to achieve (although I didn't see anything stitched):

"...I keep my 8mm - 16mm lens shots under 30 seconds, my 17mm to 28mm shots under 16 seconds, and my 35mm to 50mm shots under 10 seconds."

"Some astro-photographers use the "600 rule" for determining the length of their exposure time: dividing 600 by the focal length of the lens (using a full-frame 35mm equivalent). I adjust this to my own "450 rule", which produces less blurring on larger prints. Thus, the maximum exposure time for a 28mm lens would be 16 seconds (450 / 28 = 16)."

It will be interesting to see how well the stitching works. I guess it will depend on now long it takes you to complete the pano, since the stars will be moving throughout.

Mark

Dec 08, 2013 at 11:41 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best lens for astro panoramic?

Thanks! I tend to go with a '500' rule at my current latitude, but modify given the area of sky, size of image, lens etc. I can push a 14mm to 43 seconds at times for a single shot.

The shutter time is the key really, need a balance between longer shutter (wider angle) and better to stitch (though I have stitched 14mm shots 20-50mm is better. A 24mm is probably great but I think the sigma 35 is likely optically better bar vignetting.

As for stitching it works well, I have had a gigapan on loan for a while and know others who use it.

This is an 8 frame stitch from a canon g16 from a gigapan.

Gibraltar Rock nightscape by robjdickinson, on Flickr

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:05 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best lens for astro panoramic?

Wow, beautiful. Looks like you've got much of the technique down. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the 6D.

Mark

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:25 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best lens for astro panoramic?

Thanks yes kinda have my technique sorted but still looking for that perfect gear setup?

No suggestions? Would I be better asking in alt?

Dec 09, 2013 at 06:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.