Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

I've always worked with uncompressed TIFFs. I happened to notice that somehow my Lightroom TIFF setting got changed to ZIP compression. (Not sure how long it's been that way.) So it got me to wondering if ZIP or LZW lossless compression might be something to consider as I struggle some to work within my 256 gigabyte solid state drive.

Dec 08, 2013 at 04:52 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

RAW to JPEG here.

Dec 08, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

you don't really need to work with tiffs

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

Both are very common formats that have been around ofr years so I use zip compression. I only ever make a tiff if I need to go into PS, jpg would be nice but if I'm in PS it is usually for heavy editing and I want to stay 16bit.

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:57 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

lossless compression is..... lossless

go ahead and leave it on.

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

SloPhoto wrote:
lossless compression is..... lossless
go ahead and leave it on

I may just try that. As it is, with uncompressed TIFFs, I always run out of room working a single wedding in a 256-gigabyte solid state drive.

For those who don't know, both ZIP and LZW are supposed to be lossless compressions.

Ran across the below chart. (Sorry, I know it's big.) What this shows is a D800 uncompressed TIFF vs. compressed formats. Looks like the uncompressed is about 100 megabytes and the lossless compressed are around 35 megabytes, so about one-third the size.

Dec 08, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

http://i.imgur.com/5wbiWtN.jpg?1

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:21 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

Speak for yourself, Tony. My files are all nefs, unless I need PS for something. I go to a jpg only for a print file.

As software improves, I can go back and do better things with my nef files. you are locked up to your original edits with your jpgs.
(Admittedly, if I was a wedding photog., and didn't give a darn about the files, after the initial sale, I would use jpg.)

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:33 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

Mark_L wrote:
Both are very common formats that have been around for years so I use zip compression. I only ever make a tiff if I need to go into PS, jpg would be nice but if I'm in PS it is usually for heavy editing and I want to stay 16bit.

+1 for portraits and art probably to no practical advantage, it just makes me feel better.

raw then to jpg for events - or straight jpg if I need the burst speed.

*cracking up at Tony's chart* ...well played Mr. Hoffer.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

rodmcwha wrote:
Speak for yourself, Tony. My files are all nefs, unless I need PS for something. I go to a jpg only for a print file.

As software improves, I can go back and do better things with my nef files. you are locked up to your original edits with your jpgs.
(Admittedly, if I was a wedding photog., and didn't give a darn about the files, after the initial sale, I would use jpg.)

You're talking about Raws... Very different than the TIFFs the OP mentioned. I shoot Raw as do most in here.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

Why tiffs? I assume there is an argument for it? I keep my raws and save catalogs in case I want to go back.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:51 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

You only need to work with tiffs if you desire to save LAYER DATA within the file for LR. Otherwise, I agree that it is usually used by those that simply do not know the difference.

PSD offers everything TIFF does, EXCEPT save layer data. I have always used PSD. If I were doing commercial work, I'd consider tiff, but not for weddings. That's just wasting space in most people's cases because they don't know any better.

Laughs aside, I have to agree with Tony's graphic. The last time I worked with tiffs was probably mid 90's when doing commercial design for other entities. In that world, tiffs are still used. Weddings? Not so much.

Dec 08, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

amonline wrote:
...it is usually used by those that simply do not know the difference.

/end thread

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:58 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

Things seem to be geting confused, I doubt the OP is talking about dumping out an entire wedding to tiff.

You can:
Use LR for everything and never use PS - this will then never be an issue
Dump out anything that needs PS as jpg save as jpg and do PS editing on compressed 8bit files
Dump out anything that needs PS as psd/tiff. You do PS editing on uncompressed 16bit files and have the choice to keep your layers in tiff/psd or ditch them saving jpg

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:52 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

Mark_L wrote:
Things seem to be geting confused, I doubt the OP is talking about dumping out an entire wedding to tiff.

You can:
Use LR for everything and never use PS - this will then never be an issue
Dump out anything that needs PS as jpg save as jpg and do PS editing on compressed 8bit files
Dump out anything that needs PS as psd/tiff. You do PS editing on uncompressed 16bit files and have the choice to keep your layers in tiff/psd or ditch them saving jpg

Or use the Edit in option in Lightroom and never export a file to work on it in Photoshop.

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

alohadave wrote:
Or use the Edit in option in Lightroom and never export a file to work on it in Photoshop.

That creates a file in the format of whatever your have set it to in the LR settings unless you re-convert in camera RAW (I think)

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:06 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

Who saves TIFFS anymore? I only use them for layered files and commercial work. There's no loss of data printing JPEG...

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:32 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

I haven't developed to TIFF format in probably 8 years. It's a waste of file space.

Dec 10, 2013 at 09:34 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

deepbluejh wrote:
I haven't developed to TIFF format in probably 8 years. It's a waste of file space.

Say you first do your Lightroom work but then want to do additional work in Photoshop. You do the Photoshop work on compressed JPEGs?

Dec 10, 2013 at 05:09 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Are You Compressing Your TIFFs?

D. Diggler wrote:
Say you first do your Lightroom work but then want to do additional work in Photoshop. You do the Photoshop work on compressed JPEGs?

I right-click the image in LR and it pulls it up in PS in uncompressed format. After the retouching is done, it's then saved back to LR to be developed into a final JPEG.

Dec 10, 2013 at 05:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.