FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

LSExplorer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Our second first day in Canyonlands NP was basically cloudless most of the time. So we spend our late morning and early afternoon on hanging around for vantage points intended for the next day, especially at the Mesa Arc spot. There were some clouds accumulating late afternoon in the west sky so we headed to the Green River overlook shooting the sunset. Here is the one with 0.9ND hard.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/11262414824_7a04ca62f2_o.jpg

The next morning we got up early around 4:30AM in hoping that we could have a nice spot to shot the Mesa Arc because we have learned that this place had becoming a hot spot for photographers (I forget to mention that we met two people who said themselves as astronomers and were scary to be warned of no space to shoot if arrived later than 5:00AM !!!). When we arrived at the parking lot, we found only 2 cars there before us. So we felt a bit relaxed. After we arrived the Mesa Arch, we were surprised to find out we are the first couple. It was odd to us that being the first also caused some problems because we seemed to have too many choices to put our tripod ).

Anyway, we got some shots of this iconic landmark:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5487/11262414524_c8069f42e2_o.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2864/11262368155_3322f6f823_o.jpg

As always, your C&Cs are welcome, especially on the Mesa Arch, which one do you prefer.

Edited on Dec 07, 2013 at 10:45 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Nice work, I like all of them. Your light for Mesa Arch is rare from my experience. I either get too much cloud cover for either the glow or a sunburst, or if clear, the sunburst causes too much flare unless it is almost completely behind the arch. In your case, the light cloud cover made for great light and provided both a star and a good glow.

I also like the Green River Overlook shot a lot.

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:35 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

ben egbert wrote:
Nice work, I like all of them. Your light for Mesa Arch is rare from my experience. I either get too much cloud cover for either the glow or a sunburst, or if clear, the sunburst causes too much flare unless it is almost completely behind the arch. In your case, the light cloud cover made for great light and provided both a star and a good glow.

I also like the Green River Overlook shot a lot.

Glad to know that you like them.

we did bracketing for the Mesa Arch and some of them I put my hands in front of the lens to eliminate the flare as much as possible. However, in the area around the sun, we still got some flares and I have spent a lot of time in post processing to clean them.

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:41 PM
gilligan911
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Nice work. That first photo of Mesa Arch is one of the best executed images of that type I have seen.

I like #1 as well but can't help but feel it needs a little more light and detail in the foreground.

As for which arch shot I prefer: definitely the first.

cheers,
Glen.

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:30 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Your second image is really great!
Keith W.

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:53 PM
fcomisar
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Beautiful images. I agree with previous comments about your first Mesa Arch image; very well done!

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:53 PM
CarloDidier
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Excellent work!

Dec 08, 2013 at 05:08 AM
Bart Carrig
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Very nice set. I have a preference for the quality of light in the first Mesa image.

Bart

Dec 08, 2013 at 09:13 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

These are precious captures of this iconic place.

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:36 PM
techboy96

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

What luck you have at Mesa! Sun doesn't always show up for sunrise! I think #1 Mesa has stronger composition.

Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

I like the first overlook shot the best, some great dark moody light and you really get a feel for the vastness of the place.

Dec 10, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Great shot of the Mesa Arch. Awesome conditions really, can't get much better than that.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

Nice captures. I like the first Mesa Arch image more if you crop up the foreground just a little to the lowest point where sunlight illuminates the rock. There are many people who dont believe a sunrise can produce the glow beneath the arch, as you captured, but those are the non-believers till I see it types.

Dejan

Dec 11, 2013 at 07:20 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canyonlands NP's Beauty

nice Mesa Arch pics

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:40 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.