New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

BobnJake
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

Thanks in advance, we're planning to use the attached picture as the back cover on my granddaughters soon to be released CD. I'm still making changes to the picture , BUT in our preliminary work we're having trouble adding text to the lower section of the tree trunk where we just want to list the titles of the songs that are on the CD, the text is coming out sort of waving, if that makes sense. We can use CS5, or InDesign, can anyone help to show us a workflow that would do this, or will the tree trunk present a problem that can't be overcome??
Thanks, Bob

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think I would burn the tree a little first, then use white text with a black shadow.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:26 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

Thanks Tim, trying a few options, I'll add that to the list
Bob

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

Let us know what you come up with.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:57 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

You definitely want to use InDesign to do the text, but you should be downloading the templates for where you're going to print the packaging at. That will save you a lot of time in re-doing your art layout, particularly if you're not completely at home with InDesign - which can be a bit obtuse at times.

White type should be fine over this, especially if you do darken the right side a bit, but the weight and style of type matters a lot as well. Something like TradeGothic Medium. I would stay away from outlined text especially in the small sizes you generally use for CD packaging content. A black outline on a background like that will get super busy really fast and probably not help you out. Better to burn and use an appropriate font for legibility.

You can also work with color in your type as well but that introduces other printing issues that may or may not be a good thing.

I often do quick comps in Photoshop for type ideas, but you really have to do the final in InDesign so you might as well start there. The type tool in ID is quite a bit different than Ps, so there is a learning curve. Sometimes recreating a type effect from Ps in ID is super easy, but other times it's not even possible.

Nice shot of your granddaughter by the way.

You also have to plan for the UPC and any other obligatory logos, credits, addresses, etc. that have to go on the back. The replicating company will be able to supply the proper UPC.

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:30 AM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

+1

Readability is the issue; going over such uneven tones makes many type combos very hard to read. Sans serif type over a flattened background makes good sense.
the art is making it look normal, not jarring.
Readable.....

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:04 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

Appreciate everyone commenting on this issue, Peter has taken the time to really explain some of the pitfalls, that are being created. Since we are going to have very little print on the back cover, only a listing of the songs and the CYA statements, as far as CD producers and the mastering on the CD, I'm "hoping" maybe I can get away using CS5. I'm using the "Printed Wallet" design, so we will have two inside covers that will be designed using InDesign, as they will have just some random shots plus a fair amount of text. See how it goes

Thanks again everyone, Bob

Dec 08, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need Help on Adding Text to this file

I guess if you're already doing the rest in InDesign, then why not the back cover too? The template already has the page there and it's just a matter of making a text box and typing. Judging by the jpeg Bob sent me, I'd strongly consider a slightly heavier font than the one he used in Ps, and to set it justified right, then working it to align with the UPC and work within the framework of the roughly square format. Also remember that font size on screen can seem a lot bigger than it actually prints, so the best proofing is a hard copy.

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:39 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.