Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · The Slow Crumble

Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Slow Crumble

One of the coolest things about being here on a still night, is how you can hear Sunburst peak crumbling from across the valley. Every few minutes you will hear a crack, followed by the sound of small pebbles making their way down the mountain and pilling up on the scree slopes below. It makes me wonder how big some of these peaks originally were, and how long it will take for them to crumble away entirely. At least a couple years I'm guessing!

And yes, This is the last shot I'll upload from this spot. I just like seeing the same scene with different conditions and moods. I added my previous 2 images below for reference incase you didnt see them. The frosty version being my favourite shot I've ever taken.

Thanks for looking. It really helps to be correctly calibrated, and viewing in the dark box for these twilight shots.

http://500px.com/photo/54261848

Dec 07, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Tom Black
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Slow Crumble

You can tell when I really like a shot because I make a little 'Mmmm' noise sitting in front of my PC. You got two

Love the combination of soft light and high-clarity details in the last one.

Dec 07, 2013 at 12:56 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Slow Crumble

Are you sure that noise is not a larger animal moving around over there?
I hear things often, and when I really look I suddenly see an elk, or a bighorn, or simply a deer - picking their way around in the skree.... They are ghosts. Heck, sometimes it's so quiet I can hear ravens and hawks come in for a landing.

Beautiful shots by the way, although number one is my favorite.

Dec 07, 2013 at 01:13 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Slow Crumble

Great set!
#1 is favorite, but they all have something to offer

Thanks for posting

Dan

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Howard Snyder

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Slow Crumble

Justin,

They are all fantastic. If I had to pick I'd go: 3,2 and then 1. But like I said, they are all superb!

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:27 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Slow Crumble

I think they are all very nice, and even nicer as a set.
---John

Dec 07, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Slow Crumble

Really fantastic set Justin! I was going to tell you my fav, but honestly can't pick one. All are top notch.

Dec 07, 2013 at 05:52 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Slow Crumble

Justin,
A superb series. I don't know which one to choose as a favorite because each one conveys a different mood. Great job.

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:58 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Slow Crumble

Justin,

These are a great series. In order I like 1, 3 and 2, but they are all superb.

Ryan

Dec 07, 2013 at 07:54 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Slow Crumble

Three awesome images and I would rank them in the order you posted them first 1, then 2, then 3

Bob

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:09 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Slow Crumble

Beautiful shots individually, and fantastic as a set. You have certainly take maximum advantage of a great location. And don't feel like you need to stop!

Dave

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:45 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Slow Crumble

Hey Justin,

Man... I am disappointed... that these will be your last shots from there... man... what a cool place! I wish I could get there myself, you really have some sweet shots, and I am voting for this thread!!!

I guess I would order them in terms of favorite much as they are listed here, but they are all really cool shots.

Jim

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:46 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Slow Crumble

Wow!! I'm thinking of ordering another print!?

Sweet set of shots....equally gorgeous are all. Cannot pick a favorite.

Carl

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:28 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Slow Crumble

Beautiful location and you've captured the seasonal beauty so masterfully Justin.
It seems a little silly to me to pick a favorite as each image is so well seen and executed... so I won't.
Without being there myself, your composition seems perfect to me... excellent work.

Kirk

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:38 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Slow Crumble

Fantastic Set. I like all 3. I have been there before for a sunset in 2011 ... and I can imagine that was some hike in the winter to get #3. The last is indeed my favorite followed by 1 and then 2. Great stuff!

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:53 AM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Slow Crumble

Hey Justin, my favorites are 3, 2 then 1. Great shot though, all brilliant!

Dec 08, 2013 at 02:52 AM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Slow Crumble

Great shots of a beautiful place. I can see why you continue to return to it.
Thanks for sharing!

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Slow Crumble

Wow thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. Its interesting the hear which mood people like most. I never would have guessed this night shot would be anyone's favourite compared to the other two.

ckcarr wrote:
Are you sure that noise is not a larger animal moving around over there?
I hear things often, and when I really look I suddenly see an elk, or a bighorn, or simply a deer - picking their way around in the skree.... They are ghosts. Heck, sometimes it's so quiet I can hear ravens and hawks come in for a landing.

Beautiful shots by the way, although number one is my favorite.

Oh yeah I'm sure the rocks were falling from near the top of the mountain. On my second trip when there was fresh snow you could see where new rocks had fallen. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that slope!

JimFox wrote:
Hey Justin,

Man... I am disappointed... that these will be your last shots from there... man... what a cool place! I wish I could get there myself, you really have some sweet shots, and I am voting for this thread!!!

I guess I would order them in terms of favorite much as they are listed here, but they are all really cool shots.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I didnt say I'm done posting shots from Assiniboine, but they will have different compositions to this I still have at least 3 others with very cool light that I will eventually process this winter.

CarlG wrote:
Wow!! I'm thinking of ordering another print!?

Sweet set of shots....equally gorgeous are all. Cannot pick a favorite.

Carl

Thanks Carl. So since you can't pick a favourite will I be sending you prints of all 3? :P Haha

dwa652 wrote:
Fantastic Set. I like all 3. I have been there before for a sunset in 2011 ... and I can imagine that was some hike in the winter to get #3. The last is indeed my favorite followed by 1 and then 2. Great stuff!

Thanks! The hike wasn't to bad with snow. A bit slippery on the steep sections, but it didn't stop me from making the trip up there 7 times in 3 days. There was just over a foot of fresh snow when I was there, and we had the path trampled down pretty good. I'm thinking of heading back when they reopen in January for some pillowy snow shots. I'll need to bring snow shoes and extra energy bars for that trip

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Slow Crumble

All three are outstanding but if I had to pick one it would be the third.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:45 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Slow Crumble

an excellent set Justin.. i like them in the order posted

Dec 09, 2013 at 04:31 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.