FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

This is a panorama by stitching 12 vertical shots. It is an image of the Monterey Peninsula (in California, not Mexico) taken during sunrise. The rising sun's rays colored the mist/fog golden and the trees and rocks appeared silhouetted. I wanted to compress the different layers and so used the longest FL that I had, 300mm. That means I had to shoot a large number of frames. Actually, I shot about 20, but about 5/6 on the left and a couple on the right did not look nice and made the image look too long. So I decided not to use them for the panorama.

Do you feel that the panorama is too long? If you do, what would you eliminate here.

Thank you for taking the time to view and for any comments/criticism that you may have.

Maji

Sunrise Over Monterey Peninsula _Panorama2 by _Maji_, on Flickr

Dec 07, 2013 at 12:22 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Hey Maji,

What a cool scene you captured here. As to a pano being too long, each one is individual, but I am guessing you would need a custom frame for this guy. But it's a very cool shot. I don't think I could crop any of it. It all works together wonderfully.

Jim

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Well.. Maji, Great shot I do see here. Since the cropping guru said it is okay, I agree with him. No cropping but post it some what larger in size. Again.. great pano!
Kee

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:27 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Very nice, natural sepia layers, with a nice stepwise progression from the cypress trees on the right to the ends of the points on the left--things you would amputate by cropping. In other words, the whole composition works very well as it is: if I were you, I wouldn't chop a thing.
---John

Dec 07, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

I would crop this to emphasize the strength of the silhouettes in the foreground peninsula. I'd crop in from the left to the point where you would "just" eliminate the right-most vertical antenna. IMO everything left of this adds no interest & de-emphasizes the beauty & strenght of the silhouettes and the sense of layering. There is a strong Eyvind Earle sensibility to this wonderful image (especially if you crop as suggested ), that is in keeping with Monterey.

Rand

Dec 07, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Really cool pano - I like it as is though, no cropping.

Dec 07, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Beautiful. I think as indicated above you have a few very good choices on how to crop this panorama and they would work.

Chuck

Dec 07, 2013 at 05:50 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

The more I look at this, the more I think it is an exceptional picture. (Though I wish it were displayed larger, at least twice the vertical resolution.) I would not crop it one bit. The dark trees in the nearest layer have interesting shapes, and start the optical traverse that eventually leads to the low-contrast far left. It is long and thin, but that is its virtue -- it concentrates the attention on the progression of further and further landforms, which is what this scene is all about. Find a wide spot on your wall and print it!!!

Dave

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:26 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Thank you everyone for your kind words and comments.

Here is a crop based on Rand's suggestion.

Thank you,
Maji

Sunrise Over Monterey Peninsula _Panorama3 by _Maji_, on Flickr

Dec 08, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Maji,

I love this rendering! It is less of a "where" photo and more of an impression of "the feeling of a place." At least to these eyes. Were that my image, it would be large and up on the wall.

How do you feel about this rendering? Do you feel it does justice to your intent for this image? Or, do you prefer your first crop? Both are fine images IMO. I'd be interested in your feedback for my own mentoring purposes.

Rand

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Although I liked the first one, I do like the second better. Detail is easier to make out and it removed the poles I was going to suggest you clone out. More manageable aspect ratio, as well.

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:27 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Rand was right. After recommending no crop, I have to admit I like the crop better, at least on my 27" monitor. The crop removes the dilution effect of the bland area at the left and focuses more attention on those beautiful layers and, as Jeffrey points out, the details--especially the nice cypress silhouettes. Good lesson, great photo.
---John

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

First, Magi- I really like the image and appreciate your thinking that went into the creation of it.
That said, I was going to suggest cloning out the vertical man-made things on the left.
Then I came to your cropped version, and I like that better overall.
In any case- nice work.
Charlie

Dec 08, 2013 at 06:12 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Rand,
I cannot make my mind up on which one I like better. I have another longer pano but that is just too long with too many houses on the right hand side. Here are my thoughts on both the images.

1. I like how the two peninsulas in the first image is jutting out are almost symmetrical. That adds a lot of interest in my eyes.
2. The layering effect seems to be more pronounced in the first image.
3. The interesting shapes of the silhouetted trees get more prominence in the second image.
4. The 1:4 crop is more manageable than the 1:6 crop.
5. The stacks in the first image, I believe, are from the old sardine cannery. For someone who has been there, it add interest or make one wonder what they are. For others, it is just a distraction.

Given the above, I can't make up my mind. Actually, all this discussion is really helping me to see the image much better than I could have by myself!!!

Thank you everyone,
Maji

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Maji,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Rand

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:15 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Monterey (CA) peninsula at sunrise

Rand,
You are very welcome. Thank you for helping me with the crop. It is a great learning experience.

Maji

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.