Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is my Metabones Leica M to Sony NEX adapter defective?

eightfold

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is my Metabones Leica M to Sony NEX adapter defective?

I just received my M-mount Minolta 40/2 M-Rokkor (CL version) and my Metabones adapter. I'm planning to use it on my A7.

This is my first M-mount lens ever. When I screw in the lens into the adapter, is it supposed to "click into place"? I hear no click whatsoever. It just goes very tight before I reach a click. I'm able to unscrew the lens from the mount quite easily (without touching the adapter lever).
I've tried applying quite a lot of force to get it better into place, but it feels like I'm going to break something. Is this really right
Is it possible to adjust the adapter to make it more loose?

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:47 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is my Metabones Leica M to Sony NEX adapter defective?

On the back of M lenses there is a small U shaped depression. On the lens side of the adapter there is a small metal pin that is sprung and protrudes above the surface of the flange. The pin should not only be proud of the flange but should also move in and out as you depress the lever on the adapter. As you couple the adapter to the lens the pin should engage in the depression in the lens (with a small click)

1) Is that metal pin actually sticking out above the flange surface? I've had 2 adapters where the lever mechanism has become stuck and the pin does not stick up.

2) Watch on the side of the lens as you twist it onto the adapter. Does the pin make it to the depression in the lens? I've had adapters (not LM) that are so tight that they would not twist far enough to engage.

I would guess that it has to be one of these issues.

Mike

Dec 07, 2013 at 07:20 AM
eightfold

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is my Metabones Leica M to Sony NEX adapter defective?

mcbroomf wrote:
On the back of M lenses there is a small U shaped depression. On the lens side of the adapter there is a small metal pin that is sprung and protrudes above the surface of the flange. The pin should not only be proud of the flange but should also move in and out as you depress the lever on the adapter. As you couple the adapter to the lens the pin should engage in the depression in the lens (with a small click)

1) Is that metal pin actually sticking out above the flange surface? I've had 2 adapters where
...Show more

Thank you for your reply!

1) The metal pin seems to be working just fine. It protrudes above the surface of the flange and it goes into the flange again when I push put pressure onto it.

2) The pin does not make it to the depression in the lens. It's at least another 3-5mm to go before the pin reaches the depression and the adapter is really tight.

I was arguing with myself about buying a Novoflex before I ordered the Metabones adapter. But I had a hard time justifying the price and thought to myself that it couldn't possibly be that hard to manufacture a working adapter. I mean, some new and cheap lenses are actually cost less than the Novoflex.
Well, I guess I was wrong.

I wonder if I can do anything to fix this myself. I'd rather not send the adapter back and wait 2 weeks more (I already waited one) before I can actually use the A7 that is standing in my shelf.

Does anybody have any tricks for fixing this? I just found this:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3272245

Dec 07, 2013 at 07:48 AM
eightfold

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is my Metabones Leica M to Sony NEX adapter defective?

OK, I applied A LOT of force and it eventually snapped into place. If I ever get the lens off the adapter is the next question. I'll leave in on for the day and will just enjoy shooting some. Tricks for releasing the tension of this (and other?) adapters are still welcome.

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:18 AM
stronics

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is my Metabones Leica M to Sony NEX adapter defective?

If this was mine, I would take some Johnsons paste wax in the yellow can and a Q tip and apply a light coat of wax on the mating surfaces. Let it dry overnight if you can and buff it with a soft cotton cloth.
I think you'll be amazed at the difference.
David

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:44 AM
eightfold

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is my Metabones Leica M to Sony NEX adapter defective?

stronics wrote:
If this was mine, I would take some Johnsons paste wax in the yellow can and a Q tip and apply a light coat of wax on the mating surfaces. Let it dry overnight if you can and buff it with a soft cotton cloth.
I think you'll be amazed at the difference.
David

Thanks! Not sure what the equivalent of paste wax is in Sweden, but silicone grease was mentioned here:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3272245
Perhaps that would be fine too?

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:52 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.