New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

Tarocco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

These are all tripod mounted shots comparing the same lenses on a Canon 6D and a Nex-7 with a speedbooster. The Nex-7 shots were resized to the same dimensions as the 6D files for direct comparisons of 100% crops. Exposure was adjusted as required but white balance is auto and unchanged. Sharpening should be the same for both. Each lens was refocussed by magnified live view at every aperture. The lenses were:

Sigma Super-wide II 24mm f2.8 with Sigma hood (OM mount)

Sigma Mini-wide II 28mm f2.8 with Sigma hood (OM mount)

Zuiko 35mm f2 (no hood) - late multicoated version (not MIJ)

Zuiko 50mm f1.4 with Oly hood - >1.1M serial number

Sorry for the many images but I don't have a convenient workflow to combine them.. Any suggestions to improve these tests would be appreciated - it's my first serious go at it.

Included are resized full frame images to show vignetting and 100% center and top right crops.

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

Having some issues with my exported files... Heres the comparison to the Speedbooster / Nex-7. A have so many test shots at different apertures I really need to combine them in single images. Anyone know a good non-photoshop way to do this?

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

Here's one more comparison until I figure things out, this time the 50 1.4 stopped down to f11 on the 6D -

Edited on Dec 06, 2013 at 12:26 AM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

And on the Speedbooster.. Any specific requests for comparisons anyone would like to see?

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:52 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

Thank you Tarocco, this came at the perfect time for me

I have been contemplating an A7 VS nex6 + SB. My shooting is fast, 24-50mm lenses, shot wide open 90% of the time. So corner IQ not being important, my criteria is more focused on the centre performance and transitions. I know what my lenses can do on FF, but were wondering whether you have noticed much change in their wide open performance through the speed booster and if so, can you illustrate?

Thanks again on taking the time to do this.

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:07 AM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

Sure - here's a few wide open comparisons with the 35 f2 and 50 1.4. Infinity wide open shots in bright light are a challenge for any fast lens especially classics like these. I would say that the Speedbooster slightly degrades the extreme corners and has little effect on the center of the image.

Canon 6D with the 35 f2 @ f2

Dec 06, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

35 f2 Nex-7 / Speedbooster:

Dec 06, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

Here's the 50 1.4 @ 1.4 on the Canon 6D:

Dec 06, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

50 1.4 @ 1.4 with Nex-7 / Speedbooster:

Dec 06, 2013 at 12:52 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

Thank you Tarocco, mush apreciated.

There is some degredation in the centre, but it is better than I expected and looks like within my photographic tolerances. The corners are indeed further affected, but that is of less concequence as well.
It looks like it may be worth a try as an investment, instead of jumping into the A7.

Would I be correct in assuming the effect would be less pronounced when focusing closer?

Dec 06, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Infinity Lens Tests - Canon 6D vs Nex-7 & Speed Booster

I think accounting for slight differences in focus, exposure, etc I would have a hard time identifying the center crops as either 6D or Speedbooster in a blind test - they are very close. The corners are a different story and the Speedbooster is almost always visibly worse, and this is more prevalent at large apertures and wider angles where most native lenses suffer anyway. Part of this test for me was to see if the Speedbooster came close to native full frame when lenses are stopped down, and I'm left unsure. Sometimes it's remarkably close, other times not so much.

I might do a close range / bokeh test in the coming weeks but so far the Speedbooster works much better in that context where you rarely care about corner quality. The centers are really good.

Dec 07, 2013 at 12:12 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.