New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

Albino_BlacMan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

So I've been using my AB800's on a Matthews Hollywood Stand (C-Stand with boom). This has worked well but at times can be a pain for some things (angling the lights up and down).

I recently read that some people hang their monolights upside down from a boom. This seems like it would be easier but I don't know how strong the AB mounts are. Does anyone do this with the AB800's? Do you have a backup system incase they let go. I'd love to hear everyone's ideas and experiences.

Dec 05, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
So I've been using my AB800's on a Matthews Hollywood Stand (C-Stand with boom). This has worked well but at times can be a pain for some things (angling the lights up and down).

I recently read that some people hang their monolights upside down from a boom. This seems like it would be easier but I don't know how strong the AB mounts are. Does anyone do this with the AB800's? Do you have a backup system incase they let go. I'd love to hear everyone's ideas and experiences.

When you say c stand with boom, are you talking about the 40" grip arm that came with the stand or did you buy a separate boom arm?

Dec 05, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Currently I have the C-Stand with the 40" grip arm. The Grip arm holds an Impact 5/8'' stud. The monolight sits on top of the 5/8" stud.

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:00 PM
tuanvo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

I use an Avenger C-Stand with an Avenger Mini Boom Arm. Connected to the Mini Boom Arm is an Avenger Baby Drop Down Pin. I hang my Einstein upside down, mounted onto the Baby Drop Down Pin. Connected to the Einstein is a Mola Demi 22" Beauty Dish, which is pretty heavy.

The mount hasn't failed me yet. I've been suggested to use a safety cable to secure the Einstein. I'll probably try that out soon.

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:26 PM
zurkzees
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

are you asking how to do it?
you can use an avenger drop down pin, which I use with a profoto head
attached to a 39" elinchrom octa. the pin has a collar at the end just incase
it slips. this is on a 40" grip arm.

alternatively to a dorp down pin, you can use a Avenger F830 Baby to Junior Swivel Pin.

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

Awesome! Thanks for the input. I've never played with E640s. Is the mount any different than the AB's?

Also, does anyone have advice on rigging a safety cable on the AB800s?

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Currently I have the C-Stand with the 40" grip arm. The Grip arm holds an Impact 5/8'' stud. The monolight sits on top of the 5/8" stud.

I'd suggest you get a 6" baby pin with collar, like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Matthews-6-Pin-with-Collar/dp/B001AOPQSG

Put it in the grip with the collar end on top. The light mounts upside down on the bottom, and the collar keeps the pin from sliding out when you loosen the grip to make adjustments. You would keep the pin vertical and use the swivel on the light to make vertical angle adjustments and use the grip to make horizontal adjustments.

Optionally, you can get a baby drop down pin and attach it to the 6" baby pin, then the light will keep the same vertical angle as you change the angle of the grip arm.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/153413-REG/Avenger_E700_E700_Baby_Drop.html

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

I use the E700 drop down pin as well. Works great.

Dec 06, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

Looks like hanging the AB's shouldn't be a problem.

My next question (and it might be a dumb one) is where on the AB800 do I attach the safety cable to?

Dec 06, 2013 at 11:44 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

I have 4 Einsteins, 1x1600 AB, and 1x800 Ab all hanging upside down in my studio. They have been doing fine for over 2 years, always hanging, though I do move them about sometimes.

The lights are attached to Manfrotto friction arms, which are attached to Manfrotto extension arms, which are attached to Manfrotto super clamps, which are attached to Manfrotto Autopoles, which are extended floor to ceiling. You can also go wall to wall but the lights get a bit bouncy and I didnt feel comfortable with that set up but it depends how wide your walls are.

One light is attached the same way -autopole +light stand with wheels.

I attach the safety cable around tightening knob of the stand mount, and that to large eye hook in the ceiling. I sometimes attach a small bungee to the safety cable and that to an eye hook depending on the setup. I never attach the safety cable to any part of the rig that may fail (which is all of it).

Hope this helps.

Steve

*I don't work for Manfrotto, but I think their stuff is worth the extra cost, especially after a knock-off super clamp failure.

Edited on Dec 19, 2013 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

I like the idea of a drop down pin when I want to hang a monolight upside down, but think that the Avenger E700 is a bit weak in the way it clamps at the elbow joint. Instead I some times use the Avenger F830 Baby Swivel like a drop down pin, and like very much that I can securely clamp the elbow joint at what ever angle I want. You can also use the F830 at any angle, so other unusual setups are possible, that the drop down pin would not do well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3616-REG/Avenger_F830_F830_Baby_Swivel.html

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:34 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hanging Monolights Upside Down

I own the Matthews version of the E700, and it doesn't even have the wingnuts at the elbow. A drop-down pin is supposed to swing freely. The baby swivel, meanwhile, is nice for the swivel action. I imagine the lock holding a small load at an angle, but it would not manage a heavy fixture. Another issue is operating angle: drop-downs can support acute angles (30° for the Matthews), allowing a boom near-vertical orientation. Have eyed that F830 for some time but, since your mention, I just noticed it can drop into a junior receiver. That's cool! I have a junior boom (Avenger D650) that would make a perfect pairing. Security-wise, I'm not that happy about baby pins on a boom.

Dec 20, 2013 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.