Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Death Valley

vieri
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Death Valley

Hello everyone,

last January I spent some time shooting in amazing Death Valley with the D800E. I finally finished editing all the images out of that wonderful trip, images that I posted HERE for those interested.

Death Valley is one of my favourite places on the planet to shoot, the only problem is that I live on the other side of the Atlantic, which makes it a bit difficult to get there whenever I'd like to :wink:

Below some samples for you to enjoy:

http://medias.photodeck.com/ccb5bff2-5770-11e3-beba-27ae7ccda67c/_D8E2914_large.jpg
The Devil's Golf Course's watchdog (click HERE to see it larger)

http://medias.photodeck.com/65dd6a5a-5770-11e3-9c51-c540fb96c918/_D8E2524_large.jpg
Mesquite Dunes, IV (click HERE to see it larger)

http://medias.photodeck.com/131a1174-5770-11e3-bc32-31ddeb003221/_D8E2234_large.jpg
Zabriskie at dawn, I (click HERE to see it larger)

http://medias.photodeck.com/3c057cae-5770-11e3-a782-2764146d6a46/_D8E2329_xlarge.jpg
Golden Canyon geometries (click HERE to see it larger)

Best,

Vieri

Edited on Dec 05, 2013 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2013 at 09:20 AM
vieri
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Death Valley

Two more:

http://medias.photodeck.com/a1a10ba0-5770-11e3-a72c-c72be8d548fc/_D8E2709_large.jpg
Mushroom Rock, II (click HERE to see it larger)

OK, this is really it for now See the rest of the images in my DEATH VALLEY gallery.

Edited by JimFox on Dec 05, 2013 at 02:44 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2013 at 09:20 AM
96Brigadier

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Death Valley

Second image of the Devil's Golf Course for me. I think it would look great in a black bordered frame.

Dec 05, 2013 at 09:25 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Death Valley

Very nice series. I am surprised you did not get more comments.

Dec 05, 2013 at 10:16 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Death Valley

Your Mesquite Dunes photograph is really wonderful, especially in the way it links that beautiful sky to the curving forms of the dunes. At the inclusion of the darker area at the upper right provides just enough visual dissonance to set off the other parts of the image.

Dan

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Death Valley

That Golden Geometries shot is awesome. Perfectly composed, and well seen. The others are also good, but this one just stands out to me the most, and is also different compared to the typical shots you see from this area.

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:45 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Death Valley

An excellent series overall. I definitely love #3 a lot. The colors really draw me into the image.

-Nick

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:57 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Death Valley

Hi Vieri,

It looks like you had a good time there, #1 is my favorite from this group with #2 being second. For me I am not so sure I like the style in several of the shots though. The tinting and use of the heavy vignette are affects used in people portrait shots, but they have less appeal in landscape shots since that's not what the scene looked like.

Jim

Dec 05, 2013 at 02:49 PM
quinnk
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Death Valley

I love the deep blues you captured in mushroom rock!

Dec 05, 2013 at 05:10 PM
vieri
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Death Valley

Thank you very much everyone!

@96brigadier: thank you! I think you mean the Dunes image, which is a favourite of mine as well. I just printed a 17x24" poster of it for a customer and it looks great!

@Dan: the Dunes is one of my favourites as well. I have been lucky with the sky, and I am glad that my composition there works for you with the inclusion of the dark "rocky dune" on the right

@Justin: thank you! It is always stimulating for me to go to well-photographed places and trying to find new images and new compositions

@Nick: the morning colours at Zabriskie, with the dawn light and the badlands, are really something otherworldly...

@Jim: thank you for your honest comment and critique. I understand that my style is not for everyone

@quinnk: after dusk light on a cloudy day and the dark rock colour of Mushroom Rock worked really well for me here.

Thanks again everyone, best

Vieri

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:59 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Death Valley

Nice series. Like No.1 and 3 the most. Beautiful skies.

Dec 06, 2013 at 10:59 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Death Valley

Well thought out shots!

Dec 06, 2013 at 12:24 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Death Valley

Love all the images!

Dec 06, 2013 at 07:39 PM
vieri
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Death Valley

Thank you guys for your time and your nice words, much appreciated. Best,

Vieri

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:03 AM
CarloDidier
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Death Valley

Very nice pictures. I love the unusual color on Zabriskie. Never saw that watchdog when I was there. Must have missed it.

Dec 08, 2013 at 05:14 AM
vieri
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Death Valley

CarloDidier wrote:
Very nice pictures. I love the unusual color on Zabriskie. Never saw that watchdog when I was there. Must have missed it.

Hello Carlo,

thank you very much, glad you enjoyed. The watchdog in the Devil's Golf Course is quite a bit inside the field, it is evident only from a certain angle, and is one of the amazing, weird formations you find if you explore a bit - however, it is very uncomfortable to do so and it takes a lot of time to walk in between all the salt and despite marking its location during my recon still when I came back for it it took quite a bit to find it again

Dec 09, 2013 at 04:19 PM
CarloDidier
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Death Valley

vieri wrote:
Hello Carlo,

thank you very much, glad you enjoyed. The watchdog in the Devil's Golf Course is quite a bit inside the field, it is evident only from a certain angle, and is one of the amazing, weird formations you find if you explore a bit - however, it is very uncomfortable to do so and it takes a lot of time to walk in between all the salt and despite marking its location during my recon still when I came back for it it took quite a bit to find it again

Well, it's now on my to-do list if I ever get back there!

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM
vieri
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Death Valley

CarloDidier wrote:
Well, it's now on my to-do list if I ever get back there!

You should, it's an amazing, other-worldly location. Works great both at sunset and sunrise, btw.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.