New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Random Assingment - Scrambling to depart

rtljr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Random Assingment - Scrambling to depart

That to me, is a great picture. Can anyone tell me how that shot is achieved? The black shoe is in focus but the leg implies motion by being out of focus.

I can blur the background of a cyclist and keep the cyclist in focus with panning and slow SS, but I'm not quite sure how I would get this particular shot.

Not sure what page of the site it's on, maybe the home page, but it's the random assignment #1 titled "Scrambling to Depart."

Would I use a slow shutter speed for this type of shot?

Dec 04, 2013 at 09:55 PM
micht1986

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Random Assingment - Scrambling to depart

Did you mean this one?
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/384971

The EXIF says he used a shutter speed of 1/25. Since the pilot is running it doesn't have to be that slow, just timed well and quick enough to capture the one foot on the ground. The other possibility is that the motion blur was achieved in post processing. You could always PM the OP and see if they'd be willing to share their technique.

Mike

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:34 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Random Assingment - Scrambling to depart

rtljr wrote:
That to me, is a great picture. Can anyone tell me how that shot is achieved? The black shoe is in focus but the leg implies motion by being out of focus.

I can blur the background of a cyclist and keep the cyclist in focus with panning and slow SS, but I'm not quite sure how I would get this particular shot.

Obviously no panning on this one. Foot on the ground and helicopter are stationary and the other foot and leg moving.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Random Assingment - Scrambling to depart

I'm sure it's simply motion blur. The left foot is the fastest moving part of the body, left knee almost as fast, hips and left thigh slower, left calf very slow, and left foot almost stationary. It's a nice little motion analysis within one well-timed well-composed shot. Aperture f/18 with a 24 mm lens, so the whole scene is in focus (as far as can be judged from a 640 pixel web image). A great shot by Jeff!

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Random Assingment - Scrambling to depart

The foot is planted so it isn't moving. The body and leg are moving, so they blur.

The concept is straightforward, but the timing would have to be precise... or lucky.

I've seen a similar thing happen in other situations. For example, when photographing flocks of geese taking off I will get a mass of motion blurred wings (on purpose) but the feet are often not blurred!

Dan

Dec 05, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Random Assingment - Scrambling to depart

Get your camera. Find someone energetic. Shoot.

Dec 05, 2013 at 01:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.