Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

I've had three lenses repaired in the past, and was charged fairly in each case.

EF-S 10-22 dropped, needed parts (barrel, etc.) = $85
EF-S 15-85 adjusted = $130
EF 24-70/2.8L dropped, replaced optics inside, etc. = $137

Now, my 24-105/4L needed some internal adjustments, as the right side was out of focus when the left side was in focus. Not sure why/how this happened.

So assuming that I was going to be treated fairly since I have been in the past, I included my CC info in the box with the repair.

Boy, was that a mistake!

The standard repair charge (out of warranty, obviously) for this lens is $269!!!

Per the documentation, it only needed adjustments, no parts whatsoever. Getting CPS on the phone, they were willing to do absolutely nothing: "You gave us your pre-approved CC info, you got charged." Basically, tough luck (which admittedly, it is).

They had no explanation whatsoever for why the 'standard repair charge' for this lens would be twice what I'd experienced for three other lenses, in the past. I finally got this 'supervisor' to supposedly put me through to 'Canon Customer Relations', but it's been awhile and I think he just put me on terminal hold for the fun of it (still crossing fingers, though).

Has anyone else had a similar experience, either with pre-approving a repair, or specifically with exorbitant charges to fix a 24-105? It sure seems like they are trying to recoup some of the cash they flung out the window when the initial batch of these lenses required a recall.

Thanks for any info,

-Jeff

PS: Boy, if I could, I'd just buy a couple D800's and never look back. I'm tired of waiting for Canon to produce the camera with the image quality I want, especially when Nikon's already done it…[/rant]

Edited on Dec 06, 2013 at 11:45 AM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

All my lens and camera repairs at CPS Canada are fixed rate, which are published in a CPS online document. You get a discount beyond that according to CPS level. Sometimes, the fixed-rate seems a bit steep according to what I think has to be done. OTOH, most times for me (and this is backed up by independent repair estimates) the CPS Canada price is a real bargain. You win some, you lose a few...

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Quit dropping your lenses … They are just making sure that when you drop one of your just repaired lenses … they don’t get stuck with the entire warranty repair costs …

Jefferson

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Jefferson wrote:
Quit dropping your lenses …

No doubt… lol

Only three in 30 years, could be worse.

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

jcolwell wrote:
All my lens and camera repairs at CPS Canada are fixed rate, which are published in a CPS online document. You get a discount beyond that according to CPS level. Sometimes, the fixed-rate seems a bit steep according to what I think has to be done. OTOH, most times for me (and this is backed up by independent repair estimates) the CPS Canada price is a real bargain. You win some, you lose a few...

I guess I understand the 'roulette' thing to a point, buyer beware. I've never seen a document from Canon USA outlining standard repair pricing. It makes you wonder how they set the pricing...

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:14 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Jeff wrote:
Boy, if I could, I'd just buy a couple D800's and never look back.

And then you'd have the pleasure of dealing with Nikon's repair services.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181570
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1101884
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1195099
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1180355

That aside, here is a link to CPS Terms and Conditions. Below is a screenshot of page 6. According to the highlighted section, you should have received an estimate prior to the work being done or had an opportunity to pre-approve a dollar limit for the repairs. Did this not happen?

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Good point about those threads. Probably falls under the category of: Be careful what you wish for…

I just used the CPS form, and didn't add any sort of amount (I thought in the past that the form had a field to add an amount, but now I see some small print saying that $450 is implied by providing the info, apparently).

Thanks for that, might help.

-J

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:31 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

It doesn't sound like that warrants the lead line "cps sucks", maybe Cps charged me more than I thought they should, but that wouldn't get as many looks I guess. Many lenses have a flat rate repair.

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Maybe not, but at the moment, that's certainly my opinion.

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:39 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Interesting on your 24-105, as lately I think I'm seeing the left side of mine is sometimes out of focus when the right is sharp. I can't recall a drop, so not sure why mine is suddenly doing this either.

I may get to test CPS with this myself.....

Mark

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Make sure you use a $100 Repair Voucher for registering certain Canon bodies, it would certainly have taken some of the 'sting' out of this…

Here's an example of mine from a few months ago (it's gotten worse since), 58mm at f/4:

24-105/4L focus plane error

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:50 PM
jaenagle

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Ugh.... Nikons repair services.

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:31 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Is there a Canon equivalent to Nikon APS?

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Jeff -- You don't list the dates of your repairs, so it is kind of difficult to assess the "fairness" of the costs for your past repairs. It sounds like it was quite a while ago from those prices, and that Canon had done you a really good deal (seems the repair/CPS had more discretion for charges in the past).

I've gotten some great deals in the past, including free replacement of shutters on older 1D series, which totally blew me away! So, I'm in Canon's debt from the past, and they would have to do something completely outlandish and unpredictable for me to get upset with them. They've purchased my goodwill through their fairness.

In the past few years there have been published increases and at least the one warning of the change to the overall CPS program. I took that last opportunity to test any of my questionable lenses at home, then sent several in for repair/adjustment before I lost that 10%, going from 30% to 20%. It cost a bit, but my 16-35L II had drifted out of adjustment in a couple years of use and needed a tune-up.

Did this latest repair get your CPS discount?

As has been said, Nikon is quite a lot worse for cost and turn-around. So, good luck if you decide to shift to that platform! Maybe you should think about splitting your investment with a few Nikon pieces to go along with your Canon gear?

Nothing is perfect, and there are always trade-offs. Good luck!

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:48 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

I had what sounds like the same issue with my 24-105 a few years back, and that price doesn't really surprise me. (Sorry I don't have my records handy to verify.)

Mine came back in better than new condition, optically speaking.

Dan

Jeff wrote:
I've had three lenses repaired in the past, and was charged fairly in each case.

EF-S 10-22 dropped, needed parts (barrel, etc.) = $85
EF-S 15-85 adjusted = $130
EF 24-70/2.8L dropped, replaced optics inside, etc. = $137

Now, my 24-105/4L needed some internal adjustments, as the right side was out of focus when the left side was in focus. Not sure why/how this happened.

So assuming that I was going to be treated fairly since I have been in the past, I included my CC info in the box with the repair.

Boy, was that a mistake!

The standard repair charge (out
...Show more

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Canon has a HARD time correcting issues like this... I have tried a few times. If I get one, I just send it back ASAP.

I had a refurb 17-40 that arrived that was decentered. Tried to have Canon NJ fix it, twice, and did nothing to improve it. They replaced an optical assembly and did adjustments but they basically called me and said that lens is very difficult to "correct". So I exchanged it for another, problems solved.

Another time with a brand new 24-70 II... right side always softer then left... Again, sent to Canon NJ and they could not improve it at all. I ended up exchanging for another after their failed attempt.

I had a 70-200 II long ago that was bad at 70mm on the right side. Sent to them (3) different times and they failed to correct anything. I understand its not easy to do, but come on... They should have equipment to do this properly. Why send it back if its no better then it arrived? Got rid of that lens eventually.

But yeah, don't rely on Canon to fix decentering issues... If they improve it any, consider yourself lucky! Anytime I get new/used equipment that is the first thing I check for anymore usually.

Dec 04, 2013 at 08:24 PM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

I fell and broke two lenses at the same time -

10-22 was $153 to repair
24-70/2.8 II was $671 to repair

CPS repaired them and got them back to me in about 9 days, door to door. The lenses are perfect as far as I can tell and I've been using both regularly.

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:36 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Sorry to hear man, but these *are* the going rates for these repairs. I had the misfortune with a number of lenses in the not too recent past, and this is how much it cost me.

I had a 28-300 that had the same problem after some abuse. They charged me about as much (a while back), but didn't fix it. Long story short, the lens went back and forth 4x with no improvement, until a good soul at Canon simply sent me a new one. They kept their $250 or so, I got a new lens, box and all.

As for the grass being greener on the other side - as far as D800 is concerned, yes. As far as repairs are concerned, rest assured not the case. I have stories from a friend who shoots both systems...

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:44 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Invertalon wrote:
Canon has a HARD time correcting issues like this... I have tried a few times. If I get one, I just send it back ASAP.

I would agree with your advice to get back to Canon if a repair doesn't really fix the problem.

To add to the listing of anecdotes... my luck with the Irvine repair center has been very good. Every time I've sent something in it has come back correctly repaired and in good adjustment. :-)

Dan

Dec 05, 2013 at 12:56 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · C.P.S. is marginal! (24-105 repair)

Canon CPS service appears to be the best of the lot and quite frankly you should not give your CC info if you dont want to pre-authorize a charge. You got lucky before with the low repair bills, it is has been close to your amount every time I have needed to pay. (Sometimes they just took care of an issue as good will).

Dec 05, 2013 at 01:07 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.