Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Switching to Nikon.. Could use advice on lighting kit.

xdmg

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Switching to Nikon.. Could use advice on lighting kit.

In the middle of switching from Canon to Nikon so starting fresh lighting wise...

Looking for best bang for the buck but I will spend extra if its worth it.

Primarily a event photographer.. this is what I am looking for

-TTL flash that will typically be used on camera only. Thinking SB900/SB910, are there any 3rd parties that are comparable? I want the highest power/recycle times.

-Trigger multiple off camera flashes with the option to use the ETTL flash ON camera as a fill.

-Radio trigger is obviously preferred because this setup would be used to light a wedding reception, etc.

-Adjust power/settings of the off camera flashes wirelessly.

-The actual flashes used off camera do not need to have TTL.

Thanks!

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Switching to Nikon.. Could use advice on lighting kit.

i use a SB900 still. but my main flash is a Nissin MG8000 w/HVPP.
by itself its recycle is slower then the SB but attached to the powerpack it is equal to or faster to task
you can continuously put out extra light w/o issue at high rates (takes more of a beating).
fully compatible in every way to the Nikon system

Edited on Dec 08, 2013 at 10:38 AM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:59 AM
djb663
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Switching to Nikon.. Could use advice on lighting kit.

I use 2 sb 800's and an sb 600 as my wedding kit when not using monolights. I trigger with pocketwizard flex. You will need TTL if you want to adjust power from camera with sb 800,900, or 910 or pocket wizard ac3. Problem with using ac3 is that you can't have that and an on camera flash together. Many argue sb 800 is best bang for buck or otherwise. Mine have been flawless and it will be a sad day when they kick. Roberts frequently has them used on ebay with i think a 90 day warranty for roughly $250 less than the 910. When youre buying 3 or 4... Well, you get the picture.
The new sekonic 478dr allows you to adjust flash power with the light meter for 3 zones. Works very well.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:17 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.