New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

ChrisGVE
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

Just wanted to shared my experience with Adobe and Creative Cloud. It is not resolved yet but worth a read

http://www.photoanimalium.com/opinion-adobe-the-triumph-of-incompetence-or-just-a-beginning/

I'll give regular updates for those interested...

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:03 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

I've been mulling whether to take advantage of the Photoshop Photography Program offer and have been leaning toward giving it a try for a year, even though I invested in CS6 earlier this year. However, the depth and breadth of the installation, activation, and credit card problems being shown on the Adobe CC forum gives me pause. There is no way to know what percentage of users are having these problems, but it is clear that they are not isolated nor limited to some quirky circumstances unique to only a few users. Adobe's inability to resolve these issues through their normal customer service routes is also disturbing; it seems that the only way things get taken care of is if Adobe staff monitoring the forum intervenes on the user's behalf.

And before some of you start, I'm not an Adobe hater: while I don't like the subscription concept, I'm willing to give it a chance to work, so long as I have the backup option of going back to CS6. However, despite official assurances that previous perpetual licenses are still valid and usable, even that appears to be vulnerable to glitches in Adobe's system -- the activation process sometimes appears to count previous registrations against the limit of two installations of the CC version, and won't let the CC activate. While I might be open to the alternative usage model, I'm not up for a long struggle with Adobe to get what I paid for. Not sure what I'll do at this point, other than monitoring the Adobe forum through this month to see if customer experiences seems to be improving.

Dave

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:36 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

Just to add more info, I've been a CC user for a few months now and have not had a single issue with registration, payment or activiation. Just another view as most people who have a good experience do not tell others.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:13 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

chez wrote:
Just to add more info, I've been a CC user for a few months now and have not had a single issue with registration, payment or activiation. Just another view as most people who have a good experience do not tell others.

+1

Everything with the registration, payment or activiation and the software have been working perfectly for me also. And I have been a member about 4 months.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

chez wrote:

+2

Dec 04, 2013 at 02:09 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

We've bought 3 subscriptions at the $10 month price. No regrets.

Dec 04, 2013 at 02:56 PM
emdog4

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

chez wrote:

+4

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Erik_J
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

chez wrote:

+5 no problems at all

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:53 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

What do you guys like about the cloud version over CS6? I hate subscription based anything.

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Erik_J
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

MRomine wrote:
What do you guys like about the cloud version over CS6? I hate subscription based anything.

It's an upgrade from CS6. It would probably have the CS7 name if it wasn't for the CC. You also get the Lightroom included in the $ 10 deal

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:32 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

Erik_J wrote:
It's an upgrade from CS6. It would probably have the CS7 name if it wasn't for the CC. You also get the Lightroom included in the $ 10 deal

But what does the cloud version do that makes it advantageous over CS6? I've upgraded every version of PS since 3.5 back in the mid 90's as soon as they came out but so far I have not seen any reason to upgrade to the cloud version.

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Erik_J
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

MRomine wrote:
But what does the cloud version do that makes it advantageous over CS6? I've upgraded every version of PS since 3.5 back in the mid 90's as soon as they came out but so far I have not seen any reason to upgrade to the cloud version.

You have to read about the new and different features in CC on the Adobe website. There have also been a few threads here in this forum

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

Sorry, Chris, but I'm not reading your story. I've already ingesting way too much garbage that everyone is spewing out about this stuff.

I really did not find it difficult to do the CC. I heard about it, read about it, thought about it, and eventually went with it. I pay a little dough every month and I have no problems or upgrade issues. I figure if people make informed decisions and use the product enough to justify the cost, everything will be fine. Been a PS user for about 20 years and it works for me.

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

But what does the cloud version do that makes it advantageous over CS6?

Significant Photoshop Advances:
CMYK, Paths (v2)
Layers (v3)
Adj. layers, actions (v4)
History, editable text (v5)
Real color management (v5, sort of; v6 got it right)
ACR (v7)
Scripting, 16-bit editing (cs)
Smart objects (cs2)
Smart filters (cs3)
Refine mask (cs4, I think)
64-bit for Windows (cs4)

That's about where my list stops. Later versions gave us such great advances as Puppet Warp and other fluff along with some useful but non-essential evolutionary upgrades like content aware. Of course, your idea of what's essential is no doubt different than mine, but suffice it to say that I can do almost everything that needs doing in CS3. Hell, I can to 90% of it in v6.

So, for my money, Photoshop stopped seeing real, meaningful upgrades several versions ago. The real question then is, what does CC do that makes it advantageous over CS4? Answer: not a hell of a lot.

Enjoy your cloud. I'm staying on the ground.

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

Ho1972 wrote:
Enjoy your cloud. I'm staying on the ground.

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:02 PM
OzIan

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

At $10/month, CC is a bargain and works like clockwork for me.

I can't understand why some "photographers" have a problem with taking up the offer to gain access to the latest versions of industry standard processing software.

Dec 04, 2013 at 09:09 PM
bigfredtn
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

I have also been using Photoshop CC since August. I have not had any issues with it.

Dec 04, 2013 at 09:37 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

OzIan wrote:
At $10/month, CC is a bargain and works like clockwork for me.

I can't understand why some "photographers" have a problem with taking up the offer to gain access to the latest versions of industry standard processing software.

maybe because they don't believe in (to put it kindly ) the rental model?

and PS CS6 basically does it all at this point anyway so why subscribe to the rental, $10 a month for a few tweaks that don't matter to many at this point?

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

I joined CC last week and so far no glitches. I opted for the full membership as I needed to get the apps for video production. Can;t really beat the price for all the apps I have downloaded so far...Premiere Pro, Prelude, Speedgrade, InDesign, Bridge, Lightroom, Acrobat and PS. We will how it works out at the end of the first year and how far they goose up the price...

It's like leasing a car, not the best way to do things but it is what it is....
I guess the automatic upgrades will happen, I was never one to upgrade right away anyhoo. I was still at CS5 and LR 4.4

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:53 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Creative Cloud fiasco

skibum5 wrote:
maybe because they don't believe in (to put it kindly ) the rental model?

and PS CS6 basically does it all at this point anyway so why subscribe to the rental, $10 a month for a few tweaks that don't matter to many at this point?

Have you tried the new PS? Do you even know what the upgraded features are today. What about in a few months time? For $120, I get a full version of the latest lightroon to keep and a years of the latest PS with all it's new features today and tomorrow. Now that is not bad considering Lightroom 5 run $89 by itself. So for a mere $30, I get to try out CC and the latest PS. That to me is one hell of a deal.

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.