p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One family portrait with x100s

Love this camera.

Edited on Dec 04, 2013 at 10:25 AM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:31 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One family portrait with x100s

Maybe it' just me mate, but I'm not seeing anything special from it. i actually considered one at one stage but ended up buying a lens lol.

Regarding the photo. I would like some darkening on the grass in front of them.
Regards
Bud

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:47 AM
Rbedw

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One family portrait with x100s

This is a family portrait and regardless of the technical areas that subjectively need fine tuning the ultimate value is what it means to the family. For this it is an A+.

There are several technical areas that I believe would help the image. First I suspect the dpi setting for the posted photo is blown past it's resolution quality. A higher dpi or smaller size would prove if this is correct. Next, the entire image has way too much flash. Areas are blown out by too much light. It's the "deer in the headlight" effect. If the image quality could handle some cropping I believe the image would benefit from it.

Great looking family and all are well prepared for the flash!

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:22 AM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One family portrait with x100s

Great expressions from the kids...that's the hardest part.

Looks a little soft in comparison to other photos on this forum, but that's not the be-all-end-all. Consider desaturating the red part of his face slightly - looks like it was cold outside.

FWIW :-)

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:46 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · One family portrait with x100s

I appologize guys.. The resize command on this forum does not work. This is linked straight from FB.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · One family portrait with x100s

ok.. figured out how to resize.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · One family portrait with x100s

Robin,

I'm curious about your choice of camera for this shot. I also have a Fuji X110S, which I've had for a couple of months and I like it a lot. I haven't yet had the guts to pull it our for a commissioned job, though I know other great photographers like Zach Arias and David Hobby have. So did you make that choice here, or did you also pack your Canon gear? Or was this even a commissioned work? Just wondering.

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · One family portrait with x100s

Just saw your blog; it was certainly a commissioned work. So have you made a jump to the Fuji for all such projects now?

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · One family portrait with x100s

Steve Wylie wrote:
Just saw your blog; it was certainly a commissioned work. So have you made a jump to the Fuji for all such projects now?

Steve, I just got this camera a couple of weeks ago. I did shoot that family photo with mostly Canon. I was just testing the camera. Now that you mentioned it, maybe I will give that a shot. Maybe I will do a whole portrait session with the x100s.

I wanted to use the camera more but the settings were so different than my Canon that I had to adjust the power of the flash every time. The canon had 3 stop ND filter but the shutter was limited to 1/200, where as the fuji can go to 1/1000 or faster with the aperture I was using (plus the internal ND filter). So it was hard for me to switch back and forward with the 2 cams. Maybe if I force my self to only use the x100s, that would work better.

Dec 05, 2013 at 12:38 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · One family portrait with x100s

Robin Usagani wrote:
Maybe I will do a whole portrait session with the x100s.

why?

Dec 05, 2013 at 09:42 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · One family portrait with x100s

why?

Here's one scenario where I'm going to do it. Next spring I'm traveling to Spain to chronicle a youth choir performance tour. I did it last year in Italy with two Canon bodies (5D and 7D) and three lenses. Weighed a ton. With that experience under my belt, I know that I need the 5D3 and 70-200mm to capture performance photos at standoff distances, but I don't need it for much else. The X100S has stellar rendition and performance in low light. The only limitation I've felt is the fixed focal length at 23mm (35mm equivalent on a full-frame body). So would I use it for a family portrait project like Robin's? Still unsure; that's why I asked. But for travel or casual work, absolutely.

Dec 05, 2013 at 05:00 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · One family portrait with x100s

Steve Wylie wrote:
Here's one scenario where I'm going to do it. Next spring I'm traveling to Spain to chronicle a youth choir performance tour. I did it last year in Italy with two Canon bodies (5D and 7D) and three lenses. Weighed a ton. With that experience under my belt, I know that I need the 5D3 and 70-200mm to capture performance photos at standoff distances, but I don't need it for much else. The X100S has stellar rendition and performance in low light. The only limitation I've felt is the fixed focal length at 23mm (35mm equivalent on a full-frame
...Show more

Who's answering whose question... to whom?

Dec 05, 2013 at 05:08 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · One family portrait with x100s

Steve Wylie wrote:
Here's one scenario where I'm going to do it. Next spring I'm traveling to Spain to chronicle a youth choir performance tour. I did it last year in Italy with two Canon bodies (5D and 7D) and three lenses. Weighed a ton. With that experience under my belt, I know that I need the 5D3 and 70-200mm to capture performance photos at standoff distances, but I don't need it for much else. The X100S has stellar rendition and performance in low light. The only limitation I've felt is the fixed focal length at 23mm (35mm equivalent on a full-frame
...Show more

totally agree. i have an x100 and soon getting a sony rx1 for personal work. but would i use these for a portrait session when I have a 5d3 + lenses? probably not.

Dec 05, 2013 at 05:49 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · One family portrait with x100s

I use my x100s at weddings all of the time...not sure I would use it for a whole session unless I was doing something where I wanted to be as discreet, though. I just really like working with a slightly longer lens to use only this.

Great image, Robin!

Dec 05, 2013 at 08:08 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · One family portrait with x100s

Light looks a little hot on their faces.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:40 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.