Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

lostinjapan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

HI All,

Quick trip on family business near Mt. Fuji was only able to get out for a few hours. Taken from a very unusual vantage point above Lake Yamanaka where it was freezing. This is not an area where many people go, it seems. Taken on the 5d3 and the CZ 35mm Distagon.

Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Ryan

© lostinjapan 2013

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:58 PM
quinnk
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Needs a bit of sharpening. Did use bracket the shot? Cityscape looks blurry. The mountain and skyline looks good.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:40 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Thank you. No it is a single shot on a tripod, no bracketing. It looks very good printed and on a high resolution monitor, but I am not happy with the way it downsized. The city is sharp on the print. I will play with the sharpening again.

Thanks for the helpful input!

Ryan

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:05 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Hey Ryan,

What a cool looking shot. It is different than anything I have seen from there before. Nice work with that. As for the sharpness, it looks sharp to me.

Jim

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:17 AM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Thank you Jim. When I look at it on my desktop here at home it looks okay, but not on my laptop....strange. It really was a strange night and unlike anything I have ever seen on that side of Fuji before. I am going to spend more time down here around New Years, maybe I will get lucky again.

Thanks!

Ryan.

Dec 04, 2013 at 08:07 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

It is really a very cool and unique image. Have not seen Fuji-san from this POV.

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

I like this shot. I try not to judge sharpness on these images because they are often quite a bit smaller than the printed version. The only thing I would change is to perhaps clone out the single star (planet?) top right and the very faint one above the peak. They are a bit distracting in this sky. Other than that, nice work!

Dec 05, 2013 at 02:11 PM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

This brings back good memories of hiking that mountain. You're right though, I haven't seen too many (if any) shots of this vantage point of the mountain.

Dec 05, 2013 at 04:29 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Thank you all for the kind words. I may try to clone out those little star trails later one. This overlook is not in any guidebooks English nor Japanese that I have read. I was clued into it by a local when I was out shooting the mountain last year. It took me a while I find it, but I really think it is one of the better spots I have found(which don't require all night hikes to get to). It was a five minute walk from the car, and at -10C that is fine with me.

Thanks again!

Ryan

Dec 05, 2013 at 09:14 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Lovely!

Dec 06, 2013 at 07:41 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Thank you!

Ryan

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:54 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Ryan, very neat shot of fuji. I have shot at Yamanaka several years ago when the lake was frozen with some really interesting ice but we were right on the lake shore with the Mt right in front of us for a sunset. I like your vantage point, it really shows how settled the area is and I especially like the color in the sky.
Overall a beautiful fuji image, the sharpness looks fine to me.
Will you be heading north to do any winter shots ? I have not been to Sapporo but will make it there one of these days.
regards,
Dean

Dec 08, 2013 at 02:24 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Quick trip down towards Mt. Fuji

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the kind words. Actually though you can't really tell the lake was frozen over this night. I can guess the are where you have been, most of the shoreline is pretty much full of vantage points. I used to live in Sapporo during my graduate studies, and I occasional visit several times of year. I doubt I will be heading to Hokkaido this year but I will do some traveling around nothern Japan this winter, mainly because I live several hours north of Tokyo.

Rrgds.

Ryan

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:01 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.