New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

shayray

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

I love shooting with my nifty 50 1.8 indoors. However, Ive noticed that due to the very shallow DOF, majority of my pictures are mis focused. They are mainly family photos and i try to focus on eyes. This has led me to shoot at a smaller aperture to increase my chances of a keeper.

I really enjoy the increased light/speed of a 1.8, but i find myself shooting at f4+ and higher iso in order to capture the moment.

Any advise? Currently using a D600

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

What focus mode are you using?

Note that due to the shallow depth-of-field (DOF) at f/1.8, you will get only one person in focus if you're doing a group shot (or a shot with more than one person). So, what sort of family pictures are you taking? If you're having trouble with taking a single person's photo, I'm sure we can help out with focus modes and all that jazz. Otherwise, I imagine you're having DOF issues.

Also, dumb question, but which 50/1.8 is this? AFD? AFS? AI/AIS?

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

You can open up your DOF by increasing your distance to subject.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

Sure you can, but unless you live in a mansion, you're going to have trouble getting more than 2 people in focus at 1.8 in a house

Although I suppose if you have an open concept basement, that would work.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:15 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

Fine tune the lens, get the SS up...and try try again. Also try and shoot at f2-f2.5 for a tad more DOF.
I have absolutely no trouble with the 50 f1.8G in horrible lighting on any of my FX bodies. AF-C 9 pt

D3 ISO6400 f2

D3 ISO6400 f1.8

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:31 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

At first glance, I thought it was Loretta Swit "Hotlips" on the set of MASH!

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:11 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

AF mode? I usually use 3D AF Tracking (11 point?) and AF-C. Focus on the eye and the camera will try to track the eye.

If there are more than 1 persons in the photo, chance that f1.8 can cover all person's eyes is low.

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:37 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

+1 to what the guys said regarding group shots where you need to use smaller apertures to get everyone in focus.

If it's one person and you're trying to achieve a shallow DOF with the eye in focus then what mode are you using (Aperture, shutter, etc...)? Do you use Auto ISO? I am just asking cause if you're using aperture priority with low ISO for indoors then maybe the shutter speed wouldn't be fast enough, especially indoors and with people moving.

Try using manual mode with auto ISO, shutter 1/150 or faster at 1.8, AF-C with 21 points. Also as Will said AF tune your lenses...

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:52 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

picking up a 35mm f2 AF-D will increase field of view and DOF while still being a "fast" lens. They can be had for around $220 on the buy/sell forum.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:11 PM
shayray

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just got back from a business trip.

The lens is a 50 1.8G AFS. But im sure its more user error because it happens with the 24-70 as well. I had it set on AF-S 21 pts. Many of my attempts have been with my 4 mo old daughter w/ and w/o mom. I try to focus on her eyes. I understand that I probably wont catch a group picture at 1.8, but its these solo shots that are getting me. Ive not been using auto ISO. Normally shoot in M mode or A. Perhaps its due to slower shutter speed due to being indoors. I would guess that many of my indoor shots are at 1/20 ish handheld.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

shayray wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just got back from a business trip.

The lens is a 50 1.8G AFS. But im sure its more user error because it happens with the 24-70 as well. I had it set on AF-S 21 pts. Many of my attempts have been with my 4 mo old daughter w/ and w/o mom. I try to focus on her eyes. I understand that I probably wont catch a group picture at 1.8, but its these solo shots that are getting me. Ive not been using auto ISO. Normally shoot in M mode or A. Perhaps
...Show more

there ya' go..1/20 isn't going to work on people..I use 1/100th minimum with my 50 1.8 and stop down a bit from wide open..depending on lighting I'll bounce flash on or off cam too

Edited on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

Try single-point autofocus

This gives you more control than 21 point, so you can carefully focus on the eye. 21-point might pick the wrong point.

Also, bump up the iso to get more shutter speed; 1/20th isn't fast enough to freeze subject movement or camera shake, you want at least 1/50 or 1/100

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

Yes, AF-C, single point focus on an eye. No 3D or Auto modes.

Also remember - 'film' is free - try shooting CH bursts of 2 or 3 images at a time.

Due to slight movements, vibrations canceling each other out, the alignment of the planets....one of those will often be sharper than the others. I do this even at shutter speeds that shouldn't work and get perfectly usable shots.

Dec 17, 2013 at 05:56 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

At 10 feet and f1.8, the DOF is only about 6 inches. At 5 feet it's about 4 inches. Some people "rock" back and forth a couple inches when standing still. If both people are rocking back and forth you can easily run out of DOF.

Dec 17, 2013 at 05:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

yeah, you rock they rock. it's the OOF tango

on a D600 you have plenty of ISO to work with so you can get off that last stop and close it down a little.

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

i don't own a lens that is below a 2.8 that's in service. i can do a lot with the proper zoom and iso to reproduce what i want, well for the most part.
f5.6

f5.6

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:09 PM
shayray

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

Awesome! I played around last night with Auto ISO in M mode with a much faster shutter speed and AF-C. Much better improvement. I've always wondered why there is a need for 39 or 51 AF points since you can only focus on 1 target.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

To sell cameras to newbies? :-p

Seriously, 51point etc can be handy for tracking moving subjects (sports etc) but for general photography I normally want control over what I focus on, so I use single point

Dec 21, 2013 at 07:13 AM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

Here's what worked with my wife - a newbie as well. I told her to use the auto everything mode on the camera at first and read the EXIFs to learn what kind of decisions the camera was making for her. Then use just manual focus with all auto and learn how f stops and dof are manipulated artistically and how limiting low dof at close ranges can be. And still look and learn from the EXIFs.

Then go to A priority, Auto ISO and manual focus - by then you should be on the right track - several 1000 photos later with a lot more keepers and a lot less frustration.

Dec 21, 2013 at 08:00 AM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Newbie general ? On fast lenses

trenchmonkey wrote:
Fine tune the lens, get the SS up...and try try again. Also try and shoot at f2-f2.5 for a tad more DOF.
I have absolutely no trouble with the 50 f1.8G in horrible lighting on any of my FX bodies. AF-C 9 pt

As a Sony shooter I am in awe of what other people get at high ISO - I rarely get above 800

Those are sweet for 6400

Dec 21, 2013 at 08:02 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.