Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

speedlight trigger

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · speedlight trigger

I'm new to using strobes and speedlights, so lots of newb questions.

Is there any way I can trigger my Nikon SB700 with the Buff Cyber Commander? I need to trigger the OCF without using on camera flash. Do I need to buy a separate trigger? If so, what works well?

B

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:19 PM
tuanvo

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · speedlight trigger

The free route would be to set your Nikon SB700 in optical/slave mode so that your strobe's flash will trigger your Nikon SB700.

Or if you really do need to trigger your Nikon SB700 with a Cyber Commander, then you will need to get yourself a CyberSync Receiver Plus and a Speedlight Foot Adapter and hook them up to your Nikon SB700.

Cyber Sync Receiver Plus:
http://www.paulcbuff.com/csrplus.php

Speedlight Foot Adapter:
http://www.paulcbuff.com/slfa.php

Note that you specifically need the CyberSync Receiver Plus in order for this setup to work with the Cyber Commander. The regular CyberSync Receivers will not be compatible with your Cyber Commander.

You need the Speedlight Foot Adapter since your Nikon SB700 doesn't offer a PC Sync Port, which is needed to hook up your Nikon SB700 to the CyberSync Receiver Plus.

This is what your setup will look like:

As for myself, I have been successful in optically triggering my Yongnuo YN-560 III speedlights using my Paul C. Buff Einstein strobe. The results have been consistent for me.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:01 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · speedlight trigger

Tuanvo - thank you so much for this valuable information. I already have four CST+ receivers, so all I need is the hotshoe adapter. I want to trigger my SB700 without using another strobe if possible. Thanks again!

B

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:22 AM
tuanvo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · speedlight trigger

You're welcome. Glad to help!

Dec 04, 2013 at 08:44 AM
lifthard2001
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · speedlight trigger

Which camera do you have, you could always use your camera in commander mode to trigger the flash .

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · speedlight trigger

D3s. Even if it did have a built in flash, I wouldn't want to use it that way... kind of defeats the purpose of off camera flash in some situations.

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:41 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · speedlight trigger

Using the cameras flash in commander mode the flash does not contribute to the exposure

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:37 PM
tuanvo

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · speedlight trigger

lifthard2001 wrote:
Using the cameras flash in commander mode the flash does not contribute to the exposure

This is true. However, I think it's a good idea that he is going with the full radio transmission route anyway. In the end, it'll save him the trouble from line-of-sight issues or triggering problems in super bright sunny conditions.

Dec 05, 2013 at 01:27 AM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · speedlight trigger

tuanvo wrote:
This is true. However, I think it's a good idea that he is going with the full radio transmission route anyway. In the end, it'll save him the trouble from line-of-sight issues or triggering problems in super bright sunny conditions.

+1

Dec 05, 2013 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password