New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom library speed

Greg Schneider
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom library speed

I have to admit I haven't done extensive searching on this topic and wanted to get some input.

I find selecting images in Lightroom is incredibly slow. Even if I shift select a group of 10 images, it takes well over 5 seconds for the interface to then become usable enough to input keywords. Likewise, if I multiselect, there are a few seconds of lag which usually means I don't select the correct sequence of photos.

Any thoughts on what is causing this? I have an i7 machine, 16GB of RAM, with catalog on SSD. I see similar behaviour on my slightly lower spec'd laptop. The catalogue is frequently optimized.

Dec 03, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom library speed

The problem and cause here is… wait for it… Adobe!

LR is just very slow. Many are used to it already and therefor find no reason to complain but LR is probably the slowest PP app on the market. I'm not really sure why people even use it when 100% of everything it does exists in cheaper and faster products from other companies.

Anyway, ya, it's nothing on your end, it's just a poorly written application.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom library speed

Thanks for the verification I tend to use Breezebrowser for culling and LR only for keywording due to the speed.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom library speed

I found something called AfterShotPro that Amazon has for $20 to be pretty awesome. Certainly it's the fastest RAW photo processor I've ever used. There's a thread here on FM about it but it's too difficult to search here. Here it is on GetDPI:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/image-processing/48335-aftershot-pro-corel.html

It does the keywording, labels, tags, and so on… but is also insanely fast.

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:29 PM
edgately
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom library speed

One of the biggest things that can kill its speed is Sharpening and Noise Reduction. I used to have a preset to do this at the beginning of my workflow.. which there are many posts stating its a bad idea. Since changing my workflow it has gotten better. Still not perfect.

Also check out Photomechanic

Dec 14, 2013 at 03:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.