Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2068104/dells-out-new-24-inch-and-32-inch-ultrahd-4k-monitors.html

Man that Dell 24" 4k sounds pretty darn interesting!

I hope it has the 14 bit 3D LUT and not so low bit 2D LUT and doesn't suffer from some of the severe over drive issues some older Dell monitors have had or any color engine bugs as some others have had as well and has at least reasonable screen uniformity.

Man, part of me thinks this may make those new NEC PA242W and even PA272W look out of date already and the latter has barely even started shipping. It will come down to the finer details, but so long as they don't mess it up, man.

4k is a bit tough to drive for some games (although I wonder if you might get away with setting AA to zero, which would help a bit) but I assume you could just send it 1920x1200 and it would just auto-double it, if need be.

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

It's nice that Dell is coming out with three new 4K displays (24", 28", 31.5") but the authors of this article are n00bs IMHO.

2014 will be the year of 4k. More than likely by the end of 2014 everyone who uses computers much will have 4K. This is good as I think we will see some nicely competitive pricing come out trying to get people to upgrade from their low res devices.

Dec 03, 2013 at 06:09 AM
Pandemic
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Bifurcator wrote:
2014 will be the year of 4k. More than likely by the end of 2014 everyone who uses computers much will have 4K. This is good as I think we will see some nicely competitive pricing come out trying to get people to upgrade from their low res devices.

I'm going to have to disagree. I don't know a single person who has upgraded their monitor in the past two years. I also don't know a single person who has a monitor which goes above 1920x1080. Both of these groups include video creation experts, multimedia creators, photographers, videographers, etc.

At these price points, only company budgets can afford them. It's only when they bring out a plethora of monitors under $1,000 that there will be a significant market penetration. It's only when they bring these under $500 that you can rightly claim that "everyone who uses computers much will have 4k."

2014 will not be the year of 4k, 2015 will be.

Dec 03, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Bifurcator wrote:

Pandemic wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree. I don't know a single person who has upgraded their monitor in the past two years. I also don't know a single person who has a monitor which goes above 1920x1080.

Well, now you do.

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:19 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

I for one, won't buy another monitor unless it is at least 4K. Too used to my 15" Retina MBP to go back to 27" monitors with piss poor DPI. I'm hoping Apple will release a 27" 4K Cinema Display soon to go along with the new MacPro that advertises supporting 3 4K monitors.

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:34 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Once 4k hits a price point I can justify for something that equals my Dell U3014 in features, I'm in.

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:36 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Pandemic wrote:
I also don't know a single person who has a monitor which goes above 1920x1080.

Allow me to introduce myself: John Caldwell running a 27" iMac at 2560x1440 here. Seriously, you've oversimplified this argument too much.

May I genuinely ask those more in the know than I: Is there reasonable hope of calibrating this new generation of 4k monitors with the tools we have now. Certainly the additional screen resolution may occasionally be useful to a still image photographer, but only as accurate calibration is realistic.

John Caldwell

Edited on Dec 03, 2013 at 06:02 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:23 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

John Caldwell wrote:
Allow me to introduce myself: John Caldwell running a 27" iMac at 2560x1440 here. Seriously, you've oversimplified this argument too much.

May I genuinely ask those more in the know than I: Is there reasonable hope of calibrating this new generation of 4k monitors with the tools we have now. Certainly the additional screen resolution may occasionally be useful to a still image photographer, but only is accurate calibration is realistic.

John Caldwell

the resolution doesn't affect the calibration tools at all

as to whether this calibrates as well as a NEC or Eizo, I don't know. I've heard Dell has started putting a 14bit 3D LUT in their top models now, I'd hope these ones would have it (well I doubt the 28" version will, if it is to cost less than the 24") and I hope it works well and that they have things as linear as the NECs (and likely EIZOs) are internally and that it doesn't have any bugs and that the over drive doesn't have the old nasty issues Dell was having back in the late mid-2000s

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Pandemic
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Hi Bifurcator!
Hi John!

Another issue that I think that needs to be addressed is if people's current video cards will handle the additional real estate.

Other than that....... price, price, price.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:55 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Usual caveats about early adoption apply here i think.

Not worried about video cards - for 2D work the current ones are up to the job. For 3D work though, it will take a top end card (or two) to drive them. For games, most folk will have to play at reduced resolution whilst we wait for some major innovation in graphics hardware.

Dec 04, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Pandemic wrote:
I also don't know a single person who has a monitor which goes above 1920x1080.

Wow. I haven't used a monitor that 'small' for a long time. 2550x1440 and 2550x1600 have been my stock monitors for several years.

4K is on my wish list, but I'm going to have to see reviews before put any money down. I also think that waiting a few months may see a little more competition in the market and therefore some price pressure too.

TV manufacturers have to find 'something' to make people want to upgrade also, because clearly 3D is a flop. There's no 4K content around yet, but give us the tools at a rational price and we'll start making them

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:22 PM
sparrks
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Dave_EP wrote:
Wow. I haven't used a monitor that 'small' for a long time. 2550x1440 and 2550x1600 have been my stock monitors for several years.

4K is on my wish list, but I'm going to have to see reviews before put any money down. I also think that waiting a few months may see a little more competition in the market and therefore some price pressure too.

TV manufacturers have to find 'something' to make people want to upgrade also, because clearly 3D is a flop. There's no 4K content around yet, but give us the tools at a rational price and we'll start
...Show more
My phone & laptop is 1920 x 1080, my monitor is 2560 x 1600 which I've had about 4-5 years.

Agree with 4k being on the wishlist but at the right price.

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Up until last month, my largest screen was 24 inch LCD with a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. The monitor was at least 6 years old. I had it paired up with an ATI 4850 video card which has been and continues to function nicely in the photographic realm.

I'm a penny-pincher, so I spent a considerable amount of time selecting a replacement monitor, deciding on a Dell U2713H for which I've ended up paying $650 plus 12% tax and got a 4 year total parts and labor warranty as well.

I will upgrade to a 4K monitor at a 30+ inch size when they are available at a price point of around $1000 and otherwise offer similar capabilities to the Dell U2713H.

That may be a few years down the road, probably not until at least 2017, unless I miss my guess.

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Darn, I don't know what 4K is. I wonder how many K I currently have. How many K do I need? Will I suffer from K inadequacy? Will my friends have more K than me? I'm getting nervous now….. but somehow my images still look good.

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

I just upgraded from a 17" HP laptop with 1620 X sumpin to a 27 iMAC with 2550X1440 and to me it's awesome and enough K..don't need to cash in my 401 'K' for more K. I went with the iMac over the retina macbook. I also chose the D610 over D800 recently...sometimes less is more...now I'm sure there will be many many happy campers in the more is better camp, just not one of em'

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:44 PM
ChrisGVE
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

I would have to agree that 2014 will be the year of the 4K. Not because everyone will buy one (price points seem way too high for mass distribution) but because there will be a massive marketing effort around 4K. Then after you admire the new 4K monitor on the shelf, the salesman will skilfully introduce to you a super duper but traditional 27" with a few additional options, more reasonable for most people budget.

I must say that the quality of my 15" retina is just great and I see some benefit at having such high density, but my 27" is good too even with a lower density (the 27" tends to be farther away than the 15" laptop anyway). So beyond some comfort I also wonder if the price we are likely to see when these come out will justify the jump. Maybe in 2015-16?

The only guys I can imagine benefiting from 4K are those in the movie industry (mind you I'm only guessing because that's not my field) as res is going up and up there to entice us to watch movie in the big theatre rather than with our big 1080p...

Still the arrival of 4Ks lets some of dream of a better tomorrow but I'm not desperate to replace the current technology (Maybe I'll think differently at 8K or 16K but that's long in the future...)

Dec 05, 2013 at 01:29 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

arbitrage wrote:
I for one, won't buy another monitor unless it is at least 4K. Too used to my 15" Retina MBP to go back to 27" monitors with piss poor DPI. I'm hoping Apple will release a 27" 4K Cinema Display soon to go along with the new MacPro that advertises supporting 3 4K monitors.

Yeah it's really night and day difference. It's amusing how some of the same people who mock higher-res screens go on and on about the detail in prints .

I waited on tablets until they got the res up, makes all the difference in the world. Can't wait for these higher-res displays. So much easier on the eyes and so much nicer for viewing images (and after all printing takes a lot of time and money and only a modest fraction of your shots get printed).

I don't know about the Apple 4k screens though. My impression is they don't calibrate so well, necessarily and they certainly won't have internal 3D LUTs and ultra-quality sRGB emulation modes and so on and maybe not even wide gamut.

Dec 05, 2013 at 04:24 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

Dave_EP wrote:
TV manufacturers have to find 'something' to make people want to upgrade also, because clearly 3D is a flop. There's no 4K content around yet, but give us the tools at a rational price and we'll start making them

I have a TV that does 3D, probably first year the option was availabe in consumer products.

That said, I bought the TV because of everything but 3D. I was not looking for a 3D TV.

When it works, it's great. Mine is an active system.

But, I wear glasses, and the included glasses are smaller than the regular glasses I wear.

The picture also becomes dimmer due to the 3D glasses.

Another irritant is I have a 1920 x 1080 TV, yet I still get those top and bottom bars, reducing the picture size.

I enjoy 3D movies at the theater, but what I see at home is not quite there, and I'm not planning on buying a new set for a while.

Dec 05, 2013 at 06:54 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

I would love to view my images at native res - about 23 megapixels. I'd love a high res screen, but one where I can change the res. instantly by using the up and down arrows, but then I'd have to learn how to focus a lens.

Dec 05, 2013 at 07:15 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wow Dell announces 99% AdobeRGB 4k monitors with internal LUT!!!!

danski0224 wrote:
Another irritant is I have a 1920 x 1080 TV, yet I still get those top and bottom bars, reducing the picture size.

Probably because you're watching a movie that's being shown in the theatrical 2.35:1 instead of the domestic 16:9. It's hard to blame the TV manufacturers for that, they build them to broadcast standards which are different to theatrical releases. OTOH, your TV probably has a smart zoom function that can crop a 2.35:1 in to a 16:9 and you'll lose the bars top and bottom while also losing the edges of the screen instead.

4K/QHD TVs are still going to be 16:9, so that's not going to change for you.

Dec 05, 2013 at 09:30 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.