Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A few NCAA basketball

canav844

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few NCAA basketball

Full Gallery here: http://www.dcanavanphoto.com/p1046149952

C&C is very much welcomed, I feel like these images are missing something that I can't quite put my finger on, but that might be the fact I felt like I was missing this game with the black and white roving AF point (ref) blocking me no matter where I moved to on the baseline (this game it just got to comical can't catch a break). Also seemed like while I'm generally a fan of the action on the boards, looking at my results, those images in thumbnail form look quite repetitive.

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Eric Smith
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few NCAA basketball

I'll jump in.

1. Crop the top way down, and crop the right of the image tighter. Exposure looks fine (as all the rest, by the way)
2. Your horizon is tilted (a very easy fix in post), and half the ball is out of the frame. An easy "dump it."
3. The shooter is way too far away from the basket.
4. Total pass. He's moving right-to-left, you cut his legs off, and it's just an awkward frame. To be expected when he's four feet in front of you when you're shooting with (I'm assuming) a 70-200 or small tele.
5. Stock shot.
6. This needs to be cropped much, much tighter.
7. Crop the top and bottom of this one.
8. Crop the right of this frame out.

Shoot across the court, focus on defense, look for loose balls, try the benches, get a coach freaking out, look for emotion (cheers and tears), stand up and get near the post. Try getting off the floor and moving up in the arena for a different perspective next time if you can. Shoot looking at the goal, then move down to mid-court. Etc., etc., etc...

Hope this helps. Sorry, but basketball is next to impossible to bleep up, even when a ref's ass is in your frame all night. That's why you need to move around and mix things up.

Cheers!

Eric

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:07 AM
canav844

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few NCAA basketball

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I needed to kind of put together a mental check list to be looking for, whatever the reason I feel like basketball has been a little go through the motions and I haven't gotten the mental process I can fall back on as Id do in other sports.

Is it ok to crop the basket out? I'd been making an effort to avoid doing that to try and give the images a sense of place, it seems like the prevailing thought may be to just get in tighter to get the players and not worry so much about it.

For this game I used a 16-35 on my 7D and then during the game rotated the 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and 135 f2 on my 5D. (#4 was with the 50) The game before, which I don't think I posted here (http://www.dcanavanphoto.com/p591550883), I had the 70-200 for a while but it's an f4 version and was just way too much noise to be worth while (I'm pretty sure I was on ISO H1 and H2 with it), I used the 300 2.8 for down court action, and of those ~500 or so shots, I had one worth turning in for the paper, and it was a blah shot to me, partly because it felt long while the short game felt like I was actually part of the action. It really shouldn't be too much effort to pull it out and try again though.

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few NCAA basketball

Eric nailed my thoughts, but I'd differ a bit WRT #5, that's soft so I'd toss it as well.

I'd try to keep a little of the basket, even the net in your crop. You can def lose more of the backboard.

Chris

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:17 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few NCAA basketball

A lot of good action captured an I really like most of them, but you need to correct your horizons. They make the photos look worse than they really are.

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:59 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.