Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

dansmail26
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

My wife uses a variety of pp tools, including two low end ones, Picasa and Picmonkey. We also have PSE 11, but she really doesn't use it much.
I am confused where CC, LR, PSE and CS all fit together. Should we look at the special deal right now on CC and LR? Should she start with CC and LR, or try and learn PSE better?
Appreciate the advice!

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:10 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

We also have PSE 11, but she really doesn't use it much.

If she's not into using something as simple as Photoshop Elements, then most likely she will be overwhelmed by the full version of Photoshop. I would recommend buying Lightroom 5, which is currently on sale. Besides being a great photo cataloging program, LR has a variety of processing tools -- probably everything you will need, unless you start doing some really specialized or advanced photography.

John

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:24 AM
dansmail26
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

If she is going to truly learn a product, how will lr limit her, des it make sense to really learn (or find classes) in pse?
Thanks!

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

LR's only real limit for the average user is light retouching - essentially removing unsightly stray hairs, cloning, etc.

Otherwise it is a highly capable program.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:24 AM
Ken_K
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

I have both PSE and LR. I find that I do the majority of my PP in LR with an occasional clone maneuver in PSE much like Paul mentioned

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

Another point is that with PSE or Photoshop itself you can do some text/graphics work - stickers, labels, cheap business cards, et al.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:42 PM
dansmail26
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

Thanks all!!

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

dansmail26 wrote:
My wife uses a variety of pp tools, including two low end ones, Picasa and Picmonkey. We also have PSE 11, but she really doesn't use it much.
I am confused where CC, LR, PSE and CS all fit together. Should we look at the special deal right now on CC and LR? Should she start with CC and LR, or try and learn PSE better?
Appreciate the advice!

It's what you like, what you're used to, and the results the thing yields. For example if you try PS and it doesn't feel comfortable but PaintShopPro fits like a glove then PSP is for you and PS is not. OTOH, if PSP produces results that are significantly inferior then just by forcing yourself to use the tool that delivers better results you can get used to it and then it will fit like a glove.

If yall are using different tools than Adobe offers and are satisfied then there is no reason to change. The CC package deal will be available on and off for the life of the product. It's not worth much more than low deals (~ $10/mo) anyway. And I'm not even sure it's worth that much considering you can duplicate PS, Illustrator, and LR for a grand total of about $50 and have a permanent license ta'boot.

You'll hear a lot of hoopla about Adobe CC deals because people are used to it, the payment method has changed, and it looks to be cheaper than before on the face of it. Just know that these things have nothing to do with whether or not CC or LR is a good fit for you. And if you wanna know what is a good fit and not, then pretty much everything these days including CC, has a trial version available you can play with in order to find out.

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:36 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

Does LR offer full viveza support and layers? If not, then those would be pretty big things to be missing eventually.

Personally I think the CC thing stinks. I'd find a perpetual PS CS6 or maybe better just start with LR for now (especially if it does let you use viveza and such to their fullest) and then when she wants more find someone selling off a PS CS6 somewhere (or maybe Adobe will have given in by then).

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:58 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

I will use PS for composites of family photos. In a group it is hard to have everyone smiling with their eyes open in one shot, so I'll take several photos in rapid succession. Then if needed, I'll go into PS and put smiles and open eyes where needed.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Confused! Which way to go - CC, LR, PSE....

skibum5 wrote:
Does LR offer full viveza support and layers? If not, then those would be pretty big things to be missing eventually.

Personally I think the CC thing stinks. I'd find a perpetual PS CS6 or maybe better just start with LR for now (especially if it does let you use viveza and such to their fullest) and then when she wants more find someone selling off a PS CS6 somewhere (or maybe Adobe will have given in by then).

For nearly all photos edited by nearly all of us you can emphasize "eventually", particularly for people who have not already been using layers and high end Ps stuff.

As for Ps CS6, you would have to realise that sooner or later it will effectively be killed off by a change to the OS (Windows or Mac) or rendered redundant by a careful rewrite of Ps code that makes a new Ps heaps faster than CS 6. In the scheme of things $10 a month for Ps and Lr is not a bad deal at all. The downside of buying stand-alone Lr now is that Adobe may be charging a lot more than $10 pm when you eventually do want to upgrade Lr or add Ps. Or they may extend the scheme indefinitely just to keep drawing people who are presently sitting on the fence with their already paid for Lr 5. It's a bit of a gamble but I opted in even though I don't yet use Ps appreciably.

- Alan

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.