Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Client admits she's going to copy prints

JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

I have a client that said she plans to copy my prints and give them out to friends etc.
I told her that would be illegal, but she just said everyone does it and doesn't care. I said just
because others does something illegal doesn't make it right or ethical.
Would you: A. Not sell to her, B. Sell to her and say you'll prosecute if she does infringe
on copyright, C. just sell to her and not worry about the law and lost sales, or D. do something else?
Just wondering other's perspective.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:46 AM
rodmcwha
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Have you already done the shoot?
If not, I would probably tell her that, since she has announced that she intended to steal from me, that I decline her business.
If you have, were you planning on giving her hi-res digital files? If she intends on copying your prints, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as the quality will be poor.
No matter what, not someone I would cultivate as a long term customer !

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:17 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Curious @ her mechanism for copying and distributing ... i.e. did you give her a CD of images or is she making a copy from a physical print?

What is the terms of your contractual agreement?

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:21 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

She said she was planning on scanning the print. There isn't a contractual agreement with her. I took formal and candid pictures at a horse show and she wants to purchase some of the pictures that I took of her and her horse. I don't offer images on cd, I only deal with the finished product, prints.

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:54 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

She's just not really a pleasure to deal with, even when I quoted her the price for a few prints that she had finally decided on for $150 she then asked, "could you get that under $100? I said definitely not. Some people take the cake and the brownies too.

Dec 03, 2013 at 02:04 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Give her prints on highly textured paper. Good luck with scanning - ha ha.

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:15 AM
Z_man
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Because you do not have a contract, you are under no obligation to sell her any prints. She did not hire you to photograph the show. So, why sell her anything if you know she is going to copy it improperly. You're only losing one sale.

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:26 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

I doubt if you are going to prosecute her as copyright infringement is a federal offense and needs to be filed in federal court, the local sheriff doesn't come by and give her a ticket.

When she asked to get the price under $100 did you suggest smaller or fewer prints?
How much is loss of the $ from the scanned prints vs the loss of $150?

Edited on Dec 03, 2013 at 06:24 AM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:50 AM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

$150 is better than no sale at all. I agree with Mr. Joe, add texture to the prints and smile inside as you give them to her.

Dec 03, 2013 at 04:27 AM
obscure

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Personally if someone a) tried to push down my price, after b) admitting they were going to rip me off, I would have a hard time taking their money. My first thought would be not to sell to them at all. Second thought would be to say the price just went up to $300 as it now includes a license to make copies.

Of course I am a bit blunt. I think the textured paper idea my be more deviously enjoyable

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

obscure wrote:
Personally if someone a) tried to push down my price, after b) admitting they were going to rip me off, I would have a hard time taking their money. My first thought would be not to sell to them at all. Second thought would be to say the price just went up to $300 as it now includes a license to make copies.

Of course I am a bit blunt. I think the textured paper idea my be more deviously enjoyable

+1

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:13 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

If your contract is solid and she has said she'll be copying - let her run with it. You have a great lawyer don't you?

Edited on Dec 03, 2013 at 02:26 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:35 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Textured prints sounds the best idea

Dec 03, 2013 at 02:18 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

I would politely decline to sell to her. I personally wouldn't want to go down the road of a federal lawsuit for copyright infringement. More time, expense and stress for you than it's worth.

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:16 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

mdude85 wrote:
I would politely decline to sell to her. I personally wouldn't want to go down the road of a federal lawsuit for copyright infringement. More time, expense and stress for you than it's worth.

Good luck finding a lawyer for that!

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Mr Joe wrote:
Give her prints on highly textured paper. Good luck with scanning - ha ha.

+3

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:41 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Textured paper is a good idea.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

Texture paper sounds good (I thought about that too) ... but if that if that isn't representative of what you want people to see of your work, what has that gained you? I'd rather people see my work well represented than keep her from copying.

Raise the price to include license to copy (upsell her on you'll use better paper more suitable for scanning, so she can get the best scan) and agree to put it in writing so she can take the scanned file to Walmart as a chance to "add value". My preferred choice @ go with her wishes (for a price) than fight her on legal/principle.
Pocket the $150 and move on.
Politely pass on principle.

Any of the above ... depends on your temperament.

Edited on Dec 04, 2013 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:07 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

JohnBrose wrote:
Textured paper is a good idea.

Depends if the prints look good on textured paper. After all, it is your work that will be displayed.

Also, do you think sales to other customers don't get scanned? Are we that naive, turning a blind eye on them but making a fuss with this customer.

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Client admits she's going to copy prints

RustyBug wrote:
Any of the above ... depends on your temperament.

Lot's of people around here would rather "cut off their nose to spite their face" (as my mom used to say) and are offended by customer's silly antics than negotiate a win-win solution....

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:21 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password