Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon1 V3?

Norm Shapiro

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon1 V3?

Anyone heard what changes this will have?

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon1 V3?

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/11/27/a-very-different-nikon-1-v3-mirrorless-camera-is-rumored-for-january.aspx/#ixzz2luSVLD4Z

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon1 V3?

it better be a lot.

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon1 V3?

Maybe this will drive the pricess of the V2 down to a reasonable level fianlly.

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon1 V3?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Maybe this will drive the pricess of the V2 down to a reasonable level fianlly.

Yeah, but then V1 will be sold at the Dollar Store (if it isn't already!). I still play with my V1+FT1 but the V1's controls are excruciatingly painful to operate. I liked what I saw in the V2 but decided to wait....here's hoping the V3 is my answer to "max-reach" in good light!

According to Thom Hogan though, I'm going to have to buy good glass....meaning the 400/2.8...my lowly 500VR simply ain't up to the challenge.

Dec 02, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon1 V3?

Gary Irwin wrote:
Yeah, but then V1 will be sold at the Dollar Store (if it isn't already!). I still play with my V1+FT1 but the V1's controls are excruciatingly painful to operate. I liked what I saw in the V2 but decided to wait....here's hoping the V3 is my answer to "max-reach" in good light!

According to Thom Hogan though, I'm going to have to buy good glass....meaning the 400/2.8...my lowly 500VR simply ain't up to the challenge.

Hi Gary,

So if I understand you correct, you think the V2 corrects the control issues of the V1 but you are waiting to see if the V3 is even better?

Cheers,
Andre

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon1 V3?

Yup.. PASM dial and EVF pic review toggle for control improvements.

I was waiting for the V2 price to tank also, but if the iso is made better with an improved Aptina sensor; I'll pay full bore for the V3 (but not as an early adopter)

Rags

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon1 V3?

Andre Labonte wrote:
So if I understand you correct, you think the V2 corrects the control issues of the V1 but you are waiting to see if the V3 is even better?

Indeed, the controls on the V2 are vastly superior to the V1...ever try shooting the V1 for BIF in manual mode? Good luck.

The V2's 14MP sensor is no better than the 10MP V1 even after downrezzing, if I'm reading Thom Hogan correctly.

A V3 with Nikon's 1 AF and even better controls and (dare we hope?) a lower noise sensor might actually be worth the price Nikon will want for it!

Of course the downside is that in order to squeeze the best IQ out of these little puppies you really need top-of-the-line pro quality glass -- those tiny photosites are really fussy. My 500VR (naked) can handle my V1 at short ranges, but forget about shooting anything further than 20 metres, and be sure to keep the TCs in the bag. On a side note Nikon really needs to get serious about improving their supertele/TC lineup if they want to capitalize on these increasingly dense sensors with wildlife togs like me.

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon1 V3?

Gary Irwin wrote:
Indeed, the controls on the V2 are vastly superior to the V1...ever try shooting the V1 for BIF in manual mode? Good luck.

The V2's 14MP sensor is no better than the 10MP V1 even after downrezzing, if I'm reading Thom Hogan correctly.

A V3 with Nikon's 1 AF and even better controls and (dare we hope?) a lower noise sensor might actually be worth the price Nikon will want for it!

Of course the downside is that in order to squeeze the best IQ out of these little puppies you really need top-of-the-line pro quality glass -- those tiny
...Show more

Hi Gary,

That's interesting input. I've been thinking it would be nice to have a smaller camera for those times I just want to be a dad and not a photographer. The V2 with a few small lenses would fit the bill but the price has kept me away.

You are the first person I've ever heard say the Nikon 500 VR is not sharp enough! I imagine my 50 f/1.8 and my 300 VR will do fine ... not so sure about my 70-200 VR-I ...

Cheers,
Andre

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon1 V3?

My 70/200 VR1 worked very well on my V1...

Absolutely no vignetting with the 2.7 crop...

http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Sports/1201-Surf-Hawaii-V1-Test/i-nNLSnf4/0/L/DSC_0230-L.jpg

Rags

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon1 V3?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Hi Gary,

That's interesting input. I've been thinking it would be nice to have a smaller camera for those times I just want to be a dad and not a photographer. The V2 with a few small lenses would fit the bill but the price has kept me away.

You are the first person I've ever heard say the Nikon 500 VR is not sharp enough! I imagine my 50 f/1.8 and my 300 VR will do fine ... not so sure about my 70-200 VR-I ...

Well personally I would never recommend the Nikon 1 as a system -- it's way to overpriced for what you get. But the FT1 option of being able to use standard lenses made it more interesting to me and I bought the V1 when it came out. Unfortunately I quickly became frustrated with the ergonomics of the V1 and as a result have rarely used it. I considered the V2 for a while, but never pulled the trigger and decided to wait to see what the V3 looks like, figuring that Nikon would be forced to launch quick updates since the Nikon 1 system hasn't been a commercial success I wouldn't have to wait long. Looks like my guess was correct.

As for my 500VR comments, OK, I'm exaggerating a little about the 20m limit, but the fact remains Nikon's 500VR (and likely 600VR, definitely the 200-400VR) suffer from CA at distance. You can really see the sharpness drop off when adding a TC -- any TC. Canon's supertele's and TC's, both previous and current versions are far superior in this regard.

Nikon's 400VR is the best on the Nikon side being sharp at all distances, which is why it's relied heavily upon by the likes of pros such as Thom Hogan and Brad Hill etc.

Thom Hogan's latest "pixel madness" blog underscores my experience --as you move to increasingly dense sensors, you are forced to use better glass -- and many of Nikon's "pro" offerings no longer measure up, especially at the telephoto end.

As for your three lenses, I don't think you'll have any problem -- the 50/1.8 is a very good lens. The 300/4 is also very good, but forget about putting a TC on it with a Nikon 1 system -- not even the TC14EII. As for the 70-200VR I, some folks (thinking Trenchmonkey) think the V1 version is actually sharper on axis than the VII, so the V1 should work very well with the small Nikon 1 sensor. But again, keep the TC in the bag.

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon1 V3?

Gary Irwin wrote:
Well personally I would never recommend the Nikon 1 as a system -- it's way to overpriced for what you get. But the FT1 option of being able to use standard lenses made it more interesting to me and I bought the V1 when it came out. Unfortunately I quickly became frustrated with the ergonomics of the V1 and as a result have rarely used it. I considered the V2 for a while, but never pulled the trigger and decided to wait to see what the V3 looks like, figuring that Nikon would be forced to launch quick updates
...Show more

Hi Gary,

Thanks again for the interesting conversation.

I see your point on the Nikon 1 system. I heard the ergonomics issues of the V1 and said no, and the price of the V2 kept me away. The only thing attracting me to the Nikon 1 system is the FT1 option. It means I only need a kit lens for the WA end of things and can use my DX/FX glass for the long end.

As for my lenses ... I have the 300 f/2.8 AFS VF, not the 300 f/4 ... and it take s TC's pretty well ... but I don't see using that lens on Nikon 1 system anyway as I'd be getting the Nikon one for it's compactness and not so much the reach. But things change when you actually get a new toy in hand ... how do you think the 300 f/2.8 AFS VF would handle a TC on the Nikon 1 system?

The 50 f/1.8 AF-D is a great lens and I got lucky with an extremely sharp copy of that lens that easily compete with my 300 f/2.8 AFS VF ... I will never let go of that little lens ... best $100 I ever spent.

Interesting comment on the 70-200VR ... certainly the tests shots I have seen say the VR-I and VR-II are close along the center axis. I know my copy is weak at long distances, especially at 200mm ... zoomed out a bit to 180 or 190mm improves things a bit for far-away subjects. I know other VR-I owners with the same experience. And I keep the TC in the bag for this lens anyway ... I did not use to when I had the D70 but even the 12MP of the D300 shows up the combo as not the greatest. I have the 1.7 TC.

If Nikon would make a V3 at the right price, I'd be all over it ... or if I can get a V2 for a firesale price.

Cheers,
Andre

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon1 V3?

Hi Andre; Yes, a discounted V2+FT1 would be cost effective and should work well with those lenses. Sorry I mis-read your first post Re: the 300 -- the 300/2.8 would be great, if a little unbalanced, but 810mm @ f2.8 would be pretty sweet.

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon1 V3?

Gary Irwin wrote:
Hi Andre; Yes, a discounted V2+FT1 would be cost effective and should work well with those lenses. Sorry I mis-read your first post Re: the 300 -- the 300/2.8 would be great, if a little unbalanced, but 810mm @ f2.8 would be pretty sweet.

810mm f/2.8 hmmm on a tripod that would be very sweet ... I wonder how it would do with the 1.7 TC ... that would be a 1377 f/4.8

What I am really looking forward to if I get a V2 or V3 is my 50 f/1.8 on it ... but I'm afriad I have to have AFS lenses with the FT1 .... It might be time to buy an extra 50mm .

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Norm Shapiro

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon1 V3?

I don't understand the "ergonomics" issue with the V1. Are you talking about " holding" the camera or the " cost"? I recently put together a V1 system to use for a particular portion of my work. With the system 1 lenses the V1 is very easy to use. If I were to get an FT-1 to use with longer/ faster glass I would hold the camera up by the lens. If it's cost you are talking about I waited until Nikon lowered the prices and released refurbished gear at a good cost factor considering what I can use the V1 for professionally. I had considered a coolpix A but felt it was over priced-not so now with the V1.

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon1 V3?

Norm Shapiro wrote:
I don't understand the "ergonomics" issue with the V1. Are you talking about " holding" the camera or the " cost"? I recently put together a V1 system to use for a particular portion of my work. With the system 1 lenses the V1 is very easy to use. If I were to get an FT-1 to use with longer/ faster glass I would hold the camera up by the lens. If it's cost you are talking about I waited until Nikon lowered the prices and released refurbished gear at a good cost factor considering what I can use
...Show more

"Ergonomics" might be a misnomer here... it is not easy to control all the exposure setting manually as you can with an SLR. Basically there are lots of people (myself included), that like to have full manual control over ISO, shutter speed, aperature and WB via an easy button and wheel approach rather than through menues.

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Norm Shapiro

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon1 V3?

Got it, thanks. I just adapted to it.

Dec 04, 2013 at 09:42 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon1 V3?

Norm Shapiro wrote:
Got it, thanks. I just adapted to it.

I guess it all depend how and what you shoot. I shoot 99% manual exposure and I do fast action sports, so I need to be able to change settings while shooting.

Of course sports is not my need for this camera, but it's still anoying not having the controls at my finger tips as I like.

I'm Spoiled!

Dec 04, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon1 V3?

Andre Labonte wrote:
I shoot 99% manual exposure and I do fast action sports, so I need to be able to change settings while shooting.

Of course sports is not my need for this camera, but it's still anoying not having the controls at my finger tips as I like.

I'm Spoiled!

Indeed, that was my mistake. Be careful. Be very, very careful. Expecting the Nikon 1 to "supplement" higher end DSLR's without very careful thought will likely lead to disappointment. This coming from the owner of a V1, D4 & D800. I'm not willing to give up on the Nikon 1 system yet because I think it has promise...the V1 (and V2 to a lesser extent), are strikes against Nikon. For me, the next move (V3) is will determine whether Nikon gets on base or is send to the dugout!

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon1 V3?

Gary Irwin wrote:
Indeed, that was my mistake. Be careful. Be very, very careful. Expecting the Nikon 1 to "supplement" higher end DSLR's without very careful thought will likely lead to disappointment. This coming from the owner of a V1, D4 & D800. I'm not willing to give up on the Nikon 1 system yet because I think it has promise...the V1 (and V2 to a lesser extent), are strikes against Nikon. For me, the next move (V3) is will determine whether Nikon gets on base or is send to the dugout!

Well said...

Rags

Dec 05, 2013 at 01:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password