New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Orlov
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Okay, this is my last post regarding this subject. I have been saving up and want to adopt one of these systems, and I am literally going insane trying to pick between them. Just when I think I know for sure which one I am going to buy I read something or change my mind. So here is the scenario, I can get a used 5D3 or D800e for $2300, or a brand new a7r for $2300. I like to shoot products and macro in my little studio mostly, and then after that I like to do street / architecture / landscape.

So what do you all think? at first I wanted nothing but the 5DIII, but then I decided that I really like product photography and the d800e presents a true value close to a medium format camera, then the a7r is released and the images look better than the d800e and its brand new for $2300. I read the d800e has had some technical problems with focusing and other stuff, and the a7r has basically no native lenses.

Weigh in, help a neurotic guy out.

Edited on Dec 02, 2013 at 02:08 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:59 PM
cebseb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Hmm. If you can find a used d800e in one piece, I would jump all over it and if you don't like it, sell it for the same price. I usually see them hover around the $2500 range.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:05 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

For what you shoot, I would choose D800e. If you think you might want to play in the Sony fishtank later, then just pick nice Nikon glass that has the aperture ring and you can always use it on Sony later. However, I think D800e will suit you well. ZF glass with a D800e would be a fantastic choice...

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:10 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

I would stick with the Canon or Nikon systems mainly for the lenses. Go play with both and see which feels better in your hands. You can ever through the D610 into that mix, smaller res like the Canon but with the DR of the D800.

IMO, the Sony would be a nice compliment to one of the systems as a lighter option when the situation called for it. I personally wouldn't advise or want it as the main body unless size was the #1 priority.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:24 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

YMMV -

Studio - A7r (I use mostly live view focusing in studio and just a few lenses)
Landscape - D800 (14-24mm)
Architecture - 5DIII for the TS lenses, but, D800 DN range is sooo much better.
Street - GX7 (silent shutter, small and unobtrusive, plus the small sensor gives good "grit" for B&W; I hear the AS7/r is loud?)

Your problem is the same that all of us have.....no camera does it all. Pick what is most important for you and recognize that you may need more than one camera, but, you can always add that later.

Dec 02, 2013 at 04:58 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Orlov, when I read your piece, I see a lot of theory. A7R and the 2 DLSRs are so different you should be able to make up your mind without undue stress. Either you are taken with the small size ans low weight, or forget the A7R. But if the idea of having your camera with you at all times inspires you, forget the DSLRs. It is that simple.
Supposing the Sony is not your cup of tea, either you go for tilt-shift lenses and LiveView, and that means Canon, or you go for resolution and DR, and that is Nikon.
Except of course that you can use Canon Tilt-shift on the Sony A7R..
Just kidding... Seriously, why don't you rent each one for a couple of days, and see with which one you connect. That will tell you more and one thousand opinions.

Dec 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

philber wrote:
. Seriously, why don't you rent each one for a couple of days, and see with which one you connect. That will tell you more and one thousand opinions.

IMO this should be a standard response!

Putting "my money where my mouth is", I just rented a GX7 and an OMD EM-1 for comparison. Sometimes, after all the reading of various websites, review and other online considerations, you just need real life experience with different options to make the right decision for yourself.

Dec 02, 2013 at 05:11 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

You can read all you want here but you need to get each one in hand for a few days...I read great things about the Fuji X, Sony NEX, OM-D but none of them worked out for me.

Dec 02, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Not sure about the flash sync and macro options for the a7r. The only handheld work you seem to do is street, if you are hauling a good tripod taking a dslr along is probably not a big deal. D800 live view isn't great though it must be said.

Dec 02, 2013 at 05:46 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

To make you more crazy I would add the new Olympus EM1 to the mix if you are considering the Sony. I have the EM5 and it is a great camera.

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Orlov
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

I decided to go with the D800e, I will grab a macro and the 14-24 to start and try it out for a month. If I don't like it, I can always sell and get something else.

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

great choice. The D800e is a superlative camera. I have it and also have a A7r on the way. Based on everything I've read and seen, I dont expect the A7r to displace the D800e for my uses. I had a canon 5d 3 up until recently. Great camera but the files from the D800e made me happier, much happier.

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Orlov
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Picture This! wrote:
great choice. The D800e is a superlative camera. I have it and also have a A7r on the way. Based on everything I've read and seen, I dont expect the A7r to displace the D800e for my uses. I had a canon 5d 3 up until recently. Great camera but the files from the D800e made me happier, much happier.

Glad to hear that, I am hoping for the same experience coming from the 5d Mark II.

Dec 02, 2013 at 07:22 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Own the d800, played with the MIII and A7. D800 still amazes me, but the 5DMiii had some great handling and nice high ISO. I'd agree with someone said earlier. The a7 would be a sweet complimentary camera to either of the two big choices. I don't know if I would make it my primary to marry into a system.

Dec 02, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

agree with the handling and ergonomics of the 5d3. Definitely very nice. But high iso perf was pretty much a tie between the D800e and 5d3, raw, downsized, in my experience. The shadow banding and having to bracket frequently to make up for DR was a turnoff with the 5d3.

I do a lot of landscapes and the low-iso DR on the nikon (and I'm hoping with the sony) is plain amazing. I dont bracket shots as much now and its nice to be able to do so much with a single exposure.

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Orlov
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Picture This! wrote:
agree with the handling and ergonomics of the 5d3. Definitely very nice. But high iso perf was pretty much a tie between the D800e and 5d3, raw, downsized, in my experience. The shadow banding and having to bracket frequently to make up for DR was a turnoff with the 5d3.

I do a lot of landscapes and the low-iso DR on the nikon (and I'm hoping with the sony) is plain amazing. I dont bracket shots as much now and its nice to be able to do so much with a single exposure.

Also looking forward to that because photo stacking is not something I'm crazy about having to do with lots of images.

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:30 PM
2of9
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

D800. It's a beast.

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:30 AM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

D800E + Nikon 60mm G Micro = super combo

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:04 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

Don't compare cameras but the systems of which they are a part. Only with Canon or Nikon will you have a virtually unlimited set of lenses and flash and macro equipment to choose from. You will also find that when Sigma or Tamron releases a new lens they will first make it available for Canon and then Nikon, or vice versa, and then maybe for a Sony or other camera.

Lenses last a lifetime and as you go from one camera to the next it is cheaper to be able to use the lenses and flash and filters, etc. that you already own. I would advise anyone who is going to be a serious photographer and wants a DSLR camera to go with either Canon or Nikon but forget about the rest.

Nikon has more autofocus accuracy and better white balance metering and much better flash (including macro flash setups) than the Canon so I favor Nikon. Easy enough to verify the autofocus problems if you scan the various Canon forums.

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:36 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon D800e Vs Sony a7r Vs Canon 5D Mark III

OP has already made a decision.

Dec 03, 2013 at 02:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.