New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Mola dish with buff strobe

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mola dish with buff strobe

I want to use a Mola Demi with a Buff x800 White lightening strobes. I can't seem to find a speedring designed to do this. Any help?

B

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:24 AM
Strobo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mola dish with buff strobe

blutch wrote:
I want to use a Mola Demi with a Buff x800 White lightening strobes. I can't seem to find a speedring designed to do this. Any help?

B

Both Mola and Kacey make rings that fit, with the Kacey ring being a much better value:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759613-REG/Mola_SRAB01_Mola_Speed_Ring_for.html

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=361

You might also want to consider the Kacey dish instead of the Mola if you plan to use the dish outside of the studio. It's lighter and being made out of polycarbonate it travels better and is less likely to incur dings and dents.

Dec 02, 2013 at 10:46 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mola dish with buff strobe

I haven't head of that dish. Everyone raves about the Mola, but I won't spend the money if it is the same with another product. Thanks for the information!!

B

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mola dish with buff strobe

Don't White Lightnings have 250 watt modeling lamps. Not a good recipe with a plastic dish unless someone else knows differently. The Mola dish is worth every penny.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:29 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mola dish with buff strobe

I have 200 watt modeling lights in mine. So, the modeling light is really close to the diffuser part? I've never seen one in person.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mola dish with buff strobe

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Don't White Lightnings have 250 watt modeling lamps. Not a good recipe with a plastic dish unless someone else knows differently. The Mola dish is worth every penny.

You're just speculating here. Hotlights are not recommended but a 250 watt modeling light with the Kacey dish is fine, according to the designer. And plastic doesn't absorb heat like metal so it won't get as hot as a Mola would.

Dec 03, 2013 at 02:42 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mola dish with buff strobe

Honestly, I think I will just get the Buff beauty dish. It works perfectly with my lights and is basically the same thing. I don't have to spend extra on a speedring either.. It is $100 and comes with a diffuser sock too. The Mola is $300, plus $80 for a ring of metal so that it will work with my lights. This way I can buy a grid and still be WAY ahead financially.

B

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:31 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mola dish with buff strobe

Beauty dishes are tough to use on the average person. They point out every flaw on the subject's skin. I only use the dish for young women who've been cleaned up by makeup artists. I presume that you're a beginning photographer, so getting the Buff dish is your best bet because at this point your skill set won't allow you to utilize the Mola to distinguish it from the Buff dish.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:16 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mola dish with buff strobe

I'm not a beginner, but I have not used a beauty dish before. I typically shoot young men and women who have the looks for it. Can you tell me what the differences are when one does have the skill you mention? Thanks.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mola dish with buff strobe

blutch wrote:
I'm not a beginner, but I have not used a beauty dish before. I typically shoot young men and women who have the looks for it. Can you tell me what the differences are when one does have the skill you mention? Thanks.

The Buff dish would be an inexpensive way to get a taste of what a beauty dish can do. If after using it for a while you decide to upgrade to something else you can always sell it and get most of your money back.

The differences between similar dishes are often subtle and other factors that go into the making of an image, such as the skill of the photographer, makeup, styling, etc. are far more important.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:37 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mola dish with buff strobe

blutch: build quality of the current PCB BD isn't great. You'll see if you do order it. Their old one was much better. I'd recommend the Kacey if the Mola is too expensive for you...I have the Speedotron so that's another option...

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:44 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mola dish with buff strobe

Thanks for the warning kenyee - my problem is the speedring connection to the PCB lights... does Kacey or Speedotron have one that isn't ridiculous in price? It was hard to tell on Kacey's site.. plus, it looks like they are back ordered.

B

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mola dish with buff strobe

blutch wrote:
Thanks for the warning kenyee - my problem is the speedring connection to the PCB lights... does Kacey or Speedotron have one that isn't ridiculous in price? It was hard to tell on Kacey's site.. plus, it looks like they are back ordered.

B

Kacey dish $143 + speed ring $21.

Dec 03, 2013 at 04:49 PM
tuanvo

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mola dish with buff strobe

Good luck with your decision.

I'm just here to chime in and give a +1 to the Mola Demi. The dish is heavy duty and works like a dream. I use it in conjunction with a Paul C. Buff Einstein with modeling lights at full power and during prolonged periods of time, the dish becomes only slightly warm to the touch.

The cool thing I like about the Demi is the optional Opal Glass diffuser kit you can get for it. You can use it alone or stack it on top of the perforated aluminum diffuser for additional diffusion and softening of the beauty dish's center spot.

I hear the PCB buff dishes are a bit flimsy. It seemed to be the unanimous opinion when I searched online on the topic of PCB beauty dish vs Kacey dish vs Mola. I think if you want to save money, then at least get the Kacey. Otherwise, I think the Mola is probably going to be the best investment long-term.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:06 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mola dish with buff strobe

blutch wrote:
Thanks for the warning kenyee - my problem is the speedring connection to the PCB lights... does Kacey or Speedotron have one that isn't ridiculous in price?

I use the Kacey speedring on my Speedotron BD. It's only $21...and it's steel so it's actually a lot sturdier than the Speedotron BD.
Only reason you might not want to get the Kacey is if you get into video and shove a video hotlight into it. I've seen this done w/ the Speedotron BD so I know it'll survive that amount of heat (video lights get hotter than the 250W modeling lamps). Mola is better build quality than the Speedotron...I handled a friend's and it was definitely gear lust afterwards even though we couldn't see a different after comparing photos w/ the two BDs, so I'd get that if I had a do-over

The old PCB BD was pretty solid/sturdy. They came out w/ the high output one which was more cheaply built and unpainted was silver. Then people whined about the white one being more expensive ($120 vs. $80 IIRC) but the people never handled both so they only cared about price. So PCB had to give in and paint the cheaper one white

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:41 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mola dish with buff strobe

I ordered the Kacey and the AB speed ring and a diffuser sock. We'll see how it works. Hopefully if it works with Alien Bees it will work with my White Lightenings.

Thanks for all the advice here!

B

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:26 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mola dish with buff strobe

I use a Kacey with my Einsteins (250w modeling bulb) and it works fine with the modeling light on full power. I've had it on for days at a time with no problem.

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:38 AM
tuanvo

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mola dish with buff strobe

hondageek wrote:
...modeling light on full power. I've had it on for days at a time with no problem.

Wow! Is this really okay to do? I'm legitly curious. Can I use the modeling lamp as an everyday house lamp?

I wouldn't mind having a grid'ed beauty dish lighting my work desk at night.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:54 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mola dish with buff strobe

I used my Kacey with an Einstein as a work light for a few hours while I was tearing apart my NAS in my studio. I needed some bright, direct light to work with. It worked great with no heat issues.
There are benefits to the Kacay being plastic. I travel with it a lot. If it were aluminum it would be dented like crazy. As far as I can tell, it's nearly indestructible.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:40 PM
tuanvo

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mola dish with buff strobe

Hmm. Sounds like I need to get myself a Kacey dish for on location work. I bet it'll work well with a run-n-gun boom pole setup.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.