FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Santa Catalina Mountains

manzico
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Santa Catalina Mountains

There was some great winter weather last week. We had two whole days of rain resulting in 2 inches of total rainfall... that's kind of a ridiculously rare thing here. I was stuck in work for most of it, but I managed to get out and catch the storms clearing the mountains on the last day. I didn't have that much time, and the storm was clearing quickly so I found a promising spot on Google Earth that might have a good view of the mountains and went off to quickly get some shots. Here are a few that I processed:

#1:
http://www.pbase.com/image/153594324/original.jpg

#2:
http://www.pbase.com/image/153594319/original.jpg

#3:
http://www.pbase.com/image/153594325/original.jpg

#4:
http://www.pbase.com/image/153594327/original.jpg

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Dec 01, 2013 at 08:43 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Santa Catalina Mountains

Great b&w's! #2 is my favorite of the set

Dec 01, 2013 at 10:11 PM
manzico
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Santa Catalina Mountains

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully there will be some more dramatic skies this winter.

Dave

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:45 PM
another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Santa Catalina Mountains

Nice set! You obviously know how to process in monochrome - as the treatment of all of these is superb in that regard to my eye at least. Compositionally, I like #1 a lot, but #2 is even better and is my favorite. Something about how the shape of the hovering cloud matches the ridge shape, along with the wonderful light glow makes it really pop for me. #1 also has a nice echo of the cloud coloring in the landscape below, along with just a great depth, from the very crisp focus you have achieved - could just walk into that one. #3 lacks a definite subject for me, and so doesn't have the impact of 1 and 2 to my eye. #4 is nice; simply suffering by comparison to the excellent first 2 shots. Overall, a great set, nicely seen, captured, and certainly processed as well! Thanks for sharing, makes me want to try to work on some B&Ws myself a little more.

ML

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:14 PM
manzico
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Santa Catalina Mountains

another_mikey wrote:
Nice set! You obviously know how to process in monochrome - as the treatment of all of these is superb in that regard to my eye at least. Compositionally, I like #1 a lot, but #2 is even better and is my favorite. Something about how the shape of the hovering cloud matches the ridge shape, along with the wonderful light glow makes it really pop for me. #1 also has a nice echo of the cloud coloring in the landscape below, along with just a great depth, from the very crisp focus you have achieved - could just walk
...Show more

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the feedback and comments. A day like that just begged for B&W. I'm happy it came across well in that format.

Dave

Dec 05, 2013 at 11:01 PM
sundevilstorm
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Santa Catalina Mountains

Very nice shots

I think I shall ride my motorcycle up there to Summerhaven

Dec 06, 2013 at 09:32 PM
manzico
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Santa Catalina Mountains

sundevilstorm wrote:
Very nice shots

I think I shall ride my motorcycle up there to Summerhaven

I think that's always a good idea, but not today. The road is closed due to snow right now. There's more weather headed this way too. Maybe next weekend would be a better bet.

Dave

Dec 06, 2013 at 10:07 PM
gilligan911
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Santa Catalina Mountains

Hi Dave, #1 works best for me. I agree that B&W would have been the best treatment for skies like these, but I personally find it a little heavy handed. No doubt this is just a personal thing but but I feel the contrast might be dialled down a little.

Compositionally I like #1 and #2 the best.

cheers,
Glen.

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:31 AM
azbill
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Santa Catalina Mountains

I love southern Az, and you have captured it well. Superb monochromes!

Dec 07, 2013 at 01:26 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.