FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Beginners Macro - Nikon

Mike1.6
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beginners Macro - Nikon

A friend has expressed an interest in trying her hand at macro photography and has asked me for a recommendation. As I'm unfamiliar with Nikon gear in general and typically shoot with only my 100L I hoped I could get some starting information from the group. She's shooting with a Nikon D3100 and has a budget of around $500, new or used. I don't think we want to do anything with reversed lenses or extenders. Just a decent macro that she can work with.

I've recommended the Tamron SP AF60mm f/2 DI II LD (IF) but I'd be interested in any thing else that is deemed worthy. Especially if you've got one for sale.

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:48 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beginners Macro - Nikon

Have you looked in the Trading Post forum? Lots of Tamrons there recently.

Different lenses are optimised for different magnification ranges.

Harold

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:21 AM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beginners Macro - Nikon

I use the Tamron 60 f2 + Kenko tubes on my D300 and it's a great lens. Has about 100mm working distance at 1:1 from memory which is excellent for a 60mm and sufficient for most bugs.

Only issue is a stiff focusing ring.

Cheers
Leigh

Dec 03, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beginners Macro - Nikon

Thanks Leigh.

Dec 05, 2013 at 08:12 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beginners Macro - Nikon

Hey Mike, as a general rule most manufacturers make excellent true macro lenses (as in 1:1)

Does your friend have a flash ? Some people only use natural light but most use flash of some sort either full iTTL, some manual, some cheapo led ring flash off ebay etc etc but I would say some sort of flash may need to be factored in. If she already has a flash eg SBxxx then a macro bracket will be needed to get it positioned at the end of the lens rather than on the hot shoe, and a remote cord to connect the two.

Some kind of diffusion will be required too - do a search for LordV's "coke can diffuser".

Of course it is possible to make a bracket yourself and diffusion for the flash. Check out the "post your set up" sticky for ideas !

HTH

Andy

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:57 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beginners Macro - Nikon

Any flash other than TTL-metered will need allowance to vary exposure according to magnifcation factors. This can be done, on the flash unit, with power settings, or, for metering by the gun, setting a lower ISO or smaller aperture than is in use.

Harold

Dec 15, 2013 at 03:12 AM
iJeffG
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beginners Macro - Nikon

Mike, Nikon's 60mm f/2.8 AF-S Micro is a fantastic lens, and can be had on the B & S forum for much less than your budget. Haven't just bought its bigger brother, the 105 VR, I can tell you there are several for sale.

At 60mm, it will perform as a 90mm, and with f/2.8 it's also a fantastic portrait lens

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.