New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anybody know how to turn off wireless in Canon Pro-100

erichard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody know how to turn off wireless in Canon Pro-100

without redoing the setup from the ground up? I'm on a Mac.

Is there a button sequence on the printer, or something in the software that lets you turn it off? I initially set up the wireless but use the USB and don't want the potential for wireless interference slowing down my other computers, etc.

I tried using "maintenance" in the IJ Network Utility to re-initialize the printer to its original defaults, but the blue light on the front of the printer with the wireless icon is still lit up. So it seems like it is still broadcasting wireless.

Some folks over on DPReview were saying it broadcasts wireless even if the printer is turned off, so turning it off is apparently insufficient to stop wireless transmissions.

I've looked high and low, but all the instructions say how to turn it on, but not how to turn it off.

Edited on Dec 01, 2013 at 08:47 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2013 at 05:13 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody know how to turn off wireless in Canon Pro-100

I don't see how there could be a way that leaving the wireless "on" is a hinderance to any of your other computers and stuff.

I could be wrong, but I don't see it as an issue, even a teeny tiny one.

Dec 01, 2013 at 07:00 PM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody know how to turn off wireless in Canon Pro-100

Well, you may be correct, or possibly not. Of course, it's well known that portable phones or microwaves on the same frequency can greatly affect reception/speed for wireless internet, so I'm not so certain this is a non issue. What got me interested is this thread:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3579153

Apart from that, as I understand it, wireless broadcast requires a fair amount of electrical usage. When batteries were not as good as they are now, it was commonplace to turn off your wireless to conserve your laptop's battery, as that was the main drain on the battery. So why leave it on and consume extra energy for the life of the machine when I have no need for it as it stands?

Lastly, although I use ethernet at home, my wife uses wireless with her laptop, and she has noticed a significant deterioration of performance lately. I think it's probably an inferior router/modem combo, but after reading that thread, maybe it is in fact the the printer, as she sits a couple feet from it when in the TV room.

Dec 01, 2013 at 08:43 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody know how to turn off wireless in Canon Pro-100

Well, anything is possible

I did check the DPReview link provided, and it seems that unplugging it the easiest way to determine if the printer is causing a wireless problem.

If the problem goes away, then delete the printer and re-install it with USB only.

Maybe the printer broadcast is too much, but that seems unlikely due to the FCC licensing this stuff goes through. Out of spec components?

As far as wireless and batteries go, in my experience- cell phones in particular, WiFi draws much less than the cellular radio. I have not noticed a huge change in battery life when turning Bluetooth or WiFi off on laptops.

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:36 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.