Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

ahender
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

My daughter wants a DSLR for Christmas. My budget is less than $500.

The Canon T4i + 18-55 kits lens is about $469 refurbished.

Decent camera? Any better options?

Thanks...Alan

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:07 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

If your child needs or will benefit from a DSLR, one of the Rebel models with the kit lens is the go-to solution. The flexibility of the zoom is perfect for a child who is exploring the game of photography and having fun doing it, and it is a great way to not only get a variety of photographs but to have fun doing it.

You can save a bit of money by getting a slightly earlier version of the t-series bodies, too.

And because this is a camera forum and we occasionally see parents who are living their lives through their kids... I'll at least mention that it is good to make sure that she really wants a DSLR. Some kids see Mom or Dad using such a camera and do want one. On the other hand, sometimes parents who (bless their hearts) "want the best" for their kids can sometime overdo it - and where a decent point and shoot might be a better option.

Take care,

Dan

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:33 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

The T4i has the articulating touch-screen, and the kit lens is the competent STM version- nothing to lose there, unless your daughter would be comfortable with you welding the mode dial to 'M', then the 70D would be a reasonable upgrade at 3x the price .

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:41 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

I agree with Dan, why not a T3i kit refurb or like new? Even cheaper in case interest wanes.

David

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

The refurb T4i is out of stock at Canon. However, you can get the refurb SL1 kit for $450.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-sl1-18-55-is-stm-lens-kit-refurbished

I bet she'd prefer the wee SL1. If you want a bigger Rebel the T5i is $510.

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:03 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

Having used the touch-screen on my EOS-M, the convenience at the Quick menu is outstanding, and something that a younger person new to DSLRs would appreciate- it really is as good as your cellphone.

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:25 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

gdanmitchell wrote:
If your child needs or will benefit from a DSLR, one of the Rebel models with the kit lens is the go-to solution. The flexibility of the zoom is perfect for a child who is exploring the game of photography and having fun doing it, and it is a great way to not only get a variety of photographs but to have fun doing it.

You can save a bit of money by getting a slightly earlier version of the t-series bodies, too.

And because this is a camera forum and we occasionally see parents who are living their lives through
...Show more

I have a 7D with grip and a 1D mkIIn, so yes, she has been around "large" DSLRs.

She's 14, has a cheap P&S, but decided she wanted something smaller than what I have but not a pocket camera.

Dec 01, 2013 at 03:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · T4i+kit lens for daughter -- decent camera?

ahender wrote:
I have a 7D with grip and a 1D mkIIn, so yes, she has been around "large" DSLRs.

She's 14, has a cheap P&S, but decided she wanted something smaller than what I have but not a pocket camera.

With a 14-year-old daughter who has already gone through the P&S stage, it sounds like you are not one of "those parents" who live out their own personal gear dreams through their children by getting their 10-year-olds very expensive DSLRs and lenses... but instead just moving your daughter along to the next logical point on the journey that is already underway. :-)

This reminds me of my (very positive) experience with photography from my father when I was young. He shared various cameras with us - at first really cheap equivalents to today's point and shoots. But as we showed more interest and progressed he gradually made somewhat better gear available to us. It was never state of the art, but as kids we didn't care - from our perspectives it was great to have one of Dad's old cameras with whatever lenses were available.

Sounds like one of the t-series Rebels will be a great choice for your daughter. :-)

Dan

Dec 01, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.