FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Cold Weather photography question

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cold Weather photography question

Damondean wrote:
Gloves, warming packets, and an extra hat are on the shopping list, I think I have everything else covered.

That won't be near enough for 20 below. You need to be talking about base layers, 800 fill, 1,000+ gm boots, etc.

Kent in SD

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:45 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cold Weather photography question

Damondean wrote:
I am headed to the Canadian Rockies this week and it's gonna be freakin' cold. Like between -20 to 10 degrees F. I have never used a camera in those conditions, but have read some references to cold weather challenges.

Does weather sealing make a difference? I have a 5D2 and 24-70 v1, but was really hoping to just take my Olympus EM5 and primes. Thanks for any advice, even if it's "your camera won't work."

Damon

thats pretty dam cold…spare batteries and condensation biggest technical issues but don't forget about yourself. Standing around waiting for shot or just shooting you just get downright cold as you are not moving around producing heat which can severely shorten your time shooting if not prepared. Beanies, snow boots, "thermals" under your pants, hand warmers, headlight if working in low light are a must. I have a pair of mittens and gloves which convert and expose a finger or two if need for camera controls.

Before getting out of my vehicle, I try and get as much ready as possible by stuffing my pockets with accessories, mount correct lens, double check mounting plates for tripod are on, set as many settings as I can. I want to go into my gear bag as little as possible and be as efficient and prepared as possible. If you drop something in the snow, watch your gloves as you pick it up as the snow stays on it like glue and then gets onto whatever you touch (inside gear bag, camera body, etc)

Have fun as shooting in cold temperatures is something you will remember...

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cold Weather photography question

I almost froze my feet off 2 sundays ago just standing for a few hours watching the football game in Foxboro, Ma (pats vs broncos) and it was 19F. I had THESE on and they were no good after a while. If you keep moving then you won't have much issues but as soon as you start standing around and waiting man, one can get cold really quickly.

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cold Weather photography question

I don't think I'd bring my 6D with me on such a trip, but I would have no qualms bringing my 1Ds II.

I just don't trust the weather sealing and useability of a consumer cam in such a cold and wet environment.

I'd have no problem with dropping the 1D in the snow.

I would most definitely wear gloves, long johns, big boots, and bring a few pocket warmers too.

Dec 02, 2013 at 07:09 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cold Weather photography question

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I don't think I'd bring my 6D with me on such a trip, but I would have no qualms bringing my 1Ds II.

I just don't trust the weather sealing and useability of a consumer cam in such a cold and wet environment.

I'd have no problem with dropping the 1D in the snow.

I would most definitely wear gloves, long johns, big boots, and bring a few pocket warmers too.

The 6d will do just fine. Dropping equipment into snow is no big deal, just brush the snow off and you are ready to shoot. When it's cold, the snow does not melt. I use my 5d2 out in very cold, snowy conditions without a single issue. Even when it's snowing, just shake the snow buildup off the gear and everything is just fine.

Dec 02, 2013 at 07:37 PM
SteveF
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Cold Weather photography question

Hi,

All the big points have been covered.

One thing that is incorrect that I've seen frequently in the past (but not on this thread) is people worrying about going from warm --> cold. This is no problem - it is only the cold --> warm transition that causes condensation.

I've used Lowepro bags and now have a Gura Gear - the zippers on these looked pretty darn sealed to me, so I tend to just zip up the gear in those and then bring them in to warm up - I think they are functionally as good as a plastic bag.

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:03 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Cold Weather photography question

chez wrote:
The 6d will do just fine. Dropping equipment into snow is no big deal, just brush the snow off and you are ready to shoot. When it's cold, the snow does not melt. I use my 5d2 out in very cold, snowy conditions without a single issue. Even when it's snowing, just shake the snow buildup off the gear and everything is just fine.

I do the same. My cameras and lenses have been in the snow more times than i can count and show no problems.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:07 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Cold Weather photography question

docsmiles17 wrote:
Standing around waiting for shot or just shooting you just get downright cold as you are not moving around producing heat which can severely shorten your time shooting if not prepared.

Absolutely. A few years ago whilst out XC skiing i noticed a good spot for a sunset shot. Noted down the location and time and returned the next week. Planned sensibly to arrive 15-20 mins early so as to have time to set up etc. Unfortunately i forgot to allow for the fact that sunset moves 3-4 mins a day here in the winter, so in actual fact i arrived 40 mins early. After half an hour standing around at -15C i was so bloody cold i had to pack up and go home without taking a single shot.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:12 AM
Damondean

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Cold Weather photography question

Thanks again everybody, I hope someone benefits from this thread. I had to go to Little Rock on another work trip this week and have been delayed a day and a half due to fog (all flights canceled)....and I had to cancel the Canada trip. What a bummer.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:55 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Cold Weather photography question

To add my experience to this thread (even though OP no longer is an immediately-interested party), I found that my long lens (500 f/4) doesn't much like going out into the cold and giving me wonderful photos right out of the bag.

Falling back on my astronomy experience, in which you need to let the telescope's mirror/objective lens (as applicable), and interior of a refracting telescope, cool down before you can expect to get and keep good focus (and avoid convection currents inside the refractors), I took precautions to let the lens interior and glass cool down to ambient before using it. That solved the problem.

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Langran
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Cold Weather photography question

Your 5D2 should handle the cold fine, what no camera will handle is changes in temperature (getting warmer, getting colder isn't an issue) - the glass will inevitably mist up. To minimise this bag the camera before you go back inside/inside a car. If you use a plastic bag too then that can help avoid too much condensation. When moving back inside leave the camera on a window or the coldest part of the indoor space to let it acclimatise better. Try to avoid changing lenses too much when the temperatures are different - you'll get mist on the rear elements which is a nightmare when you want to shoot. At least the front one you can wipe! Others seem to have covered the other points well. Have fun!

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Cold Weather photography question

All good suggestions, especially about keeping one warm. If you are not comfortable, you won't be shooting for long. I also use 2 pair of gloves - form fitting under glove and mitten over glove. The Mittens have a 4 finger flap where I can pull it over the fingers when needed for warmth or remove it from the fingers when I need to use the camera. That's where the under gloves shine. I also wear a balaclava. (just for illustration purposes)

As far as condensation goes. If you drive to and from the site, your gear will get acclimated to weather changes via your car. What I mean is the car inside temperature is like the outdoor temperature, but as you drive, in this case for winter, with the heat on your gear will become acclimated to the warmer temperature over time. Now when you get home you transfer your gear from car to house with a similar temperature. If the drive is short, then this may not be the case. I've found that between the car and just keeping my gear in the backpack, roller bag etc when I go from inside to outside or outside to inside, I have no condensation issues. I don't use any type of sandwich bags, plastic bags etc., just my regular camera bags have been good enough to keep my gear from immediate temperature swings and therefore condensation issues. Just leave the gear in the bags and it's all good.

Oh yeah, shooting in the winter is a good time to shoot, especially wildlife. Plus, you don't have to worry about other people getting in the way of things.

I also Cycle in the winter and one thing I've learned is you don't need as much clothing as one would think. You need layers and you need to protect the extremities (toes, fingers etc). The first layer should be tight to your body. Granted when cycling, you generate heat, but I've transferred what I've learned to dressing for the cold. That base layer is very important as well as keeping the extremities warm.

Just One Man's Opinion.

Al

Dec 05, 2013 at 06:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Cold Weather photography question

I agree with Al that you don't need a ton of clothing in cold weather, if you remain active. OTOH, if you're going to be stationary for significant time, then you do need extra care. Last winter, I was standing more or less still at the edge of a field for about two hours, in -25 C. I was wearing plenty of clothing, but my "winter boots" (i.e. normal, -30 or so boots) weren't up to the task. I got some excellent photos, but I also got chilled to the core (i.e. onset of hypothermia). That night, I ordered a pair of Baffin Boots (-75 C) and the next shoot in similar conditions was comfy and warm.

Dec 05, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Cold Weather photography question

As Jcolwell said. Also, get some nice Hikers Wool Socks. Backcountry is where I do most of my gear shopping. They always have decent sales, just get on the email list. You can also can 12% cash back if you go through Mr. Rebates. I put a hurting on them last year around this time.

Dec 05, 2013 at 02:51 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Cold Weather photography question

If you want really warm boots at a decent price look at the "bunny boots" the military uses. http://www.colemans.com/bootsandshoes.htm the link will show you what they are.

We use them ice fishing and hours standing and sitting on bare ice does tax things in sub zero weather. These keep the feet warm.

Ice fishing bib overalls or snowmobile overalls help a lot as well.

As others say, standing around is the real danger - that and exposed skin or extremities in windy conditions. Frostbite and sucking heat from you is dangerous.

Windproof fleece hats work well. Neck scarves and facial balaclave type protection makes a big difference. I wear a big badger fur 'mad bomber' type had with added face protector and it works to 60 below - from experience.

Just don't breathe on the lenses, viewfinder and glass in the cold tho the thin ice later flakes off pretty easily.

When exposed skin starts going numb within a minute or two you are in danger if you aren't protected. This morning we were 8 below(farenheit) but 25 mph winds. A real nasty situation if you aren't protected. Both the Canon 1D MkIII and the Fuji X-Pro1 worked just fine. Batteries on the Fuji don't last nearly as long as those on the Canon no matter what one does.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy the trip.

Dec 05, 2013 at 02:59 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Cold Weather photography question

Few years back we went in Utah (Bryce Canyon) at winter. It was between -10 to -25 C. )Our two Nikons D90 showed error every few minutes (on a 2 hours hike). My Olympus E-510 never stop working.

Dec 05, 2013 at 03:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.