Dec 01, 2013 at 08:27 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Door ...

Camperjim wrote:
Open the door to faith?

+1

Has the door been unlocked, or is it still locked?
Or is faith (in God, in yourself, in others, etc.) the key to opening doors?

Could go either way ... struggling a bit with an optimal way to title or pose the question that is strong yet open to realm of possibilities for different perspectives.

Is there a key needed to have faith, or is faith the key? Are we on the outside, looking in or is it already in us when we do have the key. Even when we already have the key, do we sometimes struggle to use it properly to open the door (key marks). Does everyone have a key, or only a select few? Or do the opportunities present themselves only when the doors are unlocked for us? Does our faith become unfocused, when we so clearly focus on the locked doors?

Just a few things (likely more, others welcome) that were going through my mind as I was looking at the relationship between the door and the sign.

What is it that you see represented here?

Dec 01, 2013 at 08:32 AM
gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Door ...

This was cool to look at and try to interpret.

I went from the door lock and it's scratches to the "Faith" sign and back the whole time. It was obvious to me that "FAITH" had some meaning in the image, as well as the door and it's scratches. Nothing else seems to draw my attention as much, so I'm getting the message that nothing else matters as much.

But that was the easy part. It might be related to some american saying or some kind of cultural thing you have going on in english speaking countries, but it was not trivial for me to make the jump to the meaning. One of the interpretations I found: the scratches might mean there were various attempts to open the door, but you never give up trying to open it (faith), until you finally do and reach your goal. So yeah, keep trying and reach your goals by having faith.

Also, you may look at the whole thing as the door still being closed despite the attempts to open it (it seems it is, given the apparent glass in front of the FAITH sign), and then things turn around a bit. Now I've been trying to open the door but with no success, and my faith is behind it, kind of out of reach... or maybe stored away? Anyway, faith seems out of reach in this second case, and the message gets darker to me.

Anyway, it's a puzzling and engaging image, it keeps telling me "there must be a meaning in here", and keeps inviting me to try to interpret it, which is fantastic. Few images had this effect in me to this day. I know you want to tell me something, and I actually enjoy trying to figure it out, decipher it. Many interpretations are possible, and that's beautiful by itself; depending on my current feelings, I come out with something different.

---------------

On other notes, I'd try to make the glass of the door a little bit more obvious, not sure it's possible, but took me some time to realize the door was closed and I was looking through the glass. Or perhaps that was just me, and others grasped this concept faster/easier. But I was much to distracted by the "FAITH" sign and the door lock, I guess.

Loved it.

EDIT: oh yeah, I didn't read any other posts before writing this. Now I did and some comments are similar to yours... so I guess you conveyed your message beautifully!

Dec 01, 2013 at 10:21 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Door ...

Gustavo,

Thanks for the elaboration ... you pretty much nailed the same things that were there for me as well, even including the (too ) sublime aspect of the glass and the variety of puzzling contemplations.

Dec 01, 2013 at 10:56 AM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Door ...

FWIW, what I see is that the faith sign is out of focus and battered up/damaged -- AND behind a locked door. Faith is fast becoming, courtesy of our government and an increasingly anti-religion public, a thing of the past. Is this the "message" you intend for the image? Is the commentary of the image intended to be sad or joyful. Heavy sigh, and "FINALLY we can get rid of those religious kooks." Is that it?

And what do you see as the purpose of publishing this image? Are you wishing to further the religion-bashers' cause or combat it?

Just things to think about.
Keith

Dec 06, 2013 at 11:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Door ...

Thanks Keith,

Those are certainly viable perspectives to be considered from the image. Again, this presents the multiple perspectives. While I recognize the variety of perspectives that this can be derived toward, it is this aspect that I aspired for as I made the image.

On a very personal note, my perspective for the image is a reminder that while some have thought that faith existed behind a locked door, those who have found it may have tried more than once to find the right key that unlocks it for them. Still others may have come to find that the door was really never locked (even though it has the capacity to be locked) and yet some others have given up after trying to apply a key that doesn't fit or simply had trouble getting it aligned to the narrow pathway of the keyhole.

Certainly, many ways to see this one ... some are very religious oriented and some are very goals oriented. Can it be interpreted as commentary on the present state of affairs as perceived by some, certainly. But my goal for the image is mostly rooted in the ethos of how people approach or view the attainment of faith differently. Some will find a way to go get it, others will stand outside and look through the glass at it, never really taking it with them as they go along. Some stop and look, others go in, some with a key, some without, some try more than once ... etc.

On a more personal note ... at "advancing or bashing", I would certainly not be one to be advancing religion bashing, yet the history of humanity is presenting parallels that I may not be able to deter. The image is not meant to be combative, but rather contemplative to represent how vastly different one person can perceive the prevailing issues and perspectives from another.

Not sure if that made much sense in words, but I certainly appreciate the contemplation that you raised as well. I suspect that this could be one of the more potentially "controversial" images I've made to date.

Thanks again.

Dec 07, 2013 at 01:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.