New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

I'm not up on all the switching and changing of gear/models from Nikon.. It's all too overwhelming for me to read. And I don't use but 1 DX body. I am looking to upgrade my girlfriend from her really crappy (I'm so ashamed) Christmas present I got her last year of a D3000 body & kits lens.

Seeing the ISO limits, and all the things not allowed by buttons or settings on this D3000.. I felt so bad seeing her efforts get blown away with noise and internal limitations, it has to go right in the bin. Anyway, If anyone here could list out the current DX offerings in order of quality and why's.. I'm looking for ISO and then logical settings as I've have in my D(single digit) pro body a priorities..

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

Best one out at the moment is the D7100. The D5200/5300 has the same sensor and is smaller. However, I personally would have no trouble getting photos I like from your girlfriend's D3000 for that matter.

Kent in SD

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

Like Kent said the D7100 or even a d7000 which has slightly less res. I don't know too much about most of Nikon's DX bodies since I haven't shot DX in some many years.

Nov 30, 2013 at 01:54 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

+2 for D7100. It was on sale today on Amazon for $799

Nov 30, 2013 at 02:16 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

If you want the same external controls and intuitive handling as a pro body with a DX sensor the only current option which can be bought new is the D300s.

Alternatively the D90 offers solid handling as well.

Both are not as good at higher ISO but I never found high ISO performance or noise a factor that outweighed handling.

Nov 30, 2013 at 03:51 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

Who in their right mind would buy a new D300s for $1,697 ?

Nov 30, 2013 at 09:17 AM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

+3 for the D7100 although some people like D7000 sensor better. The D3200 is a great camera too, a lot cheaper (I don't know in CA but it was sold in the US for $499 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses yesterday at B&H and Target).

Nov 30, 2013 at 09:24 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

I made reference about ISO as she really uses this at the kids baseball and soccer night games. So in seeing the limited ISO results of images in that environment. This was enough to cause the move. I had no issue with the daytime shots, but took great exception on the controls of the body itself.

Very limiting. But all food for thought here.. I appreciate everyone who took time to assist me in this.

Nov 30, 2013 at 03:58 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

ckcarr wrote:
Who in their right mind would buy a new D300s for $1,697 ?

Letīs just say that if my D300 breaks down before a usable replacement is released I would be more interested in spending money on a camera that works for me then spending money on a camera where I get the feeling the camera works against me.

That said, I bought my D300 used and if it breaks Iīd buy a used D300 to replace it (not D300s but D300)

Nov 30, 2013 at 04:10 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

John Skinner wrote:
I made reference about ISO as she really uses this at the kids baseball and soccer night games. So in seeing the limited ISO results of images in that environment. This was enough to cause the move. I had no issue with the daytime shots, but took great exception on the controls of the body itself.

Very limiting. But all food for thought here.. I appreciate everyone who took time to assist me in this.

Given that - I'd go with a D7000 (D5100 is she wants a smaller body with fewer controls to fiddle with) which probably has the best high ISO SOOC right now. Maybe what she really needs though is a faster lens . . .

Nov 30, 2013 at 04:48 PM
patrick04

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

I also suggest the D7000. It has nice external controls (buttons, knobs, dials, etc) for making adjustments and it's going for $699 new at B&H right now, which is a real deal. I love mine and I bought it for $1200 new a couple years ago.

You might be able to find the D7100 for $800 if you catch one of the sales (which usually sell out quickly) but typically they're closer to $1100 right now.

Some people say that the D7100 has faster AF than the D7000, while others say that it has worse AF accuracy. Both of these could be true I suppose. I've also heard that neither of the D7xxx models can touch the D300 in terms of AF speed, but they do have better high ISO capabilities.

Nov 30, 2013 at 05:19 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

I am mainly an FX shooter, but I REALLY like the D7000 for the weight and relative compactness. I have been a huge fan of the D40x and its form factor so that if I had to choose a new DX body - I might surprise some people - I might go for a D5300, next to my workhorses, the D4/D3 and D800.

Guy

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:14 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Opinion on current DX class bodies

Thanks for all the input guys.. I popped for the 7100 at B&H with a 18-140VR and hopefully regain a little face with this purchase.

The high ISO (examples were seen at 6400) weren't too bad considering the body type. I think she'll be able to get those baseball shots now.. Buffer was/is a bit concerting though. But hell.. it's not a D4 !

Thanks again.

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.