New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Focus settings for sports

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus settings for sports

I primarily use my D7000 for soccer with the following settings: AF-C, Single focus point, 9 point dynamic. My main lens is a Sigma 100-300mm f/4. The combo works well but I am never happy with my hit rate of in-focus. I shoot in aperture mode and so long as the shutter speed stays at 1/1000 or faster I will stay in that mode. If the shutter speed slows down to 1/500 I switch to Auto ISO and go to Shutter priority with 1/1000 sec.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus settings for sports

Prob a combination of the D7000 not having the greatest AF engine, and the sigma 100-300 not being the fastest/most accurate focusing lens ever...

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus settings for sports

I shoot some U12 to HS soccer. 10-20 games/year. Not doing it professionally, but doing it for fun.

Depending on whether I shoot landscape or portrait orientation, I usually use the focus point that is two above the center. That gets me about chest height of the center/main subject in the frame. AF-C, release priority, 21 point dynamic, matrix metering, 1/640 or faster, wide open aperture, ISO as needed on a D700. 9 or 21 point dynamic doesn't seem to affect keeper rate. What I find really affects my keeper rate is the focus tracking duration. I use "short".

I have found it really helpful to occasionally open all the shots from a game in Nikon's View NX and look at the focus point. View NX shows you where the dynamic AF "latched" on. It also shows you when the "release priority" fired without focus being acquired; you can actually see how often your camera acquired focus, or not, on your "keepers".

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focus settings for sports

Center point only. No expansion.

Nov 30, 2013 at 01:10 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focus settings for sports

lara_ckl wrote:
I shoot some U12 to HS soccer. 10-20 games/year. Not doing it professionally, but doing it for fun.

I have found it really helpful to occasionally open all the shots from a game in Nikon's View NX and look at the focus point. View NX shows you where the dynamic AF "latched" on. It also shows you when the "release priority" fired without focus being acquired; you can actually see how often your camera acquired focus, or not, on your "keepers".

I have been using ViewNX for the same reason.

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:57 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focus settings for sports

What I find really affects my keeper rate is the focus tracking duration. I use "short"
This ^ There are lots of settings that can slow down the ability of the D7K to spew out keepers.
Focus Tracking is one of them. Cleaning contacts (body/lens) on a regular basis. The AE-L/AF-L
button is also your friend in this regard vs. using the shutter button to AF. Faster glass will help
but I enjoy an obscene keeper rate with the old AF-S 300 f4 for BIF & rodeo assignments. Shoot
me a PM if you need more info, Graham

Nov 30, 2013 at 07:13 AM
Anthony Labbe
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focus settings for sports

AF-C, 1 up from Center focus point, 21 point dynamic - Mostly hockey shot landscape, so the one up from center lets me focus at face not torso.

Nov 30, 2013 at 09:56 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Focus settings for sports

This brings up a question that I have wondered about at times. On cameras that have settings of 5(long) down to 1(short) and OFF, What does off actually do. Does it turn off tracking entirely or just revert to some default value? And what would that default value equate to, 3 maybe??
If tracking is turned off entirely, wouldn't that be the same as shooting in single shot in that all/any shots would be taken at the initial focus acquisition?

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Luftwalk
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Focus settings for sports

As I understand the setting, it's basically a delay before the AF kicks in. So if you track a bird and it flies across some tree and branches get in the way, the AF will either immediately refocus (OFF setting) or wait a certain amount of time (5 - longest amount of time) before attempting to refocus.

When shooting sports I have the setting on OFF, so it immediately refocuses, when the object moves.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Focus settings for sports

So, it's like a refresh rate.

You learn something new every day....
Just changed my settings...

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Focus settings for sports

The Nikon D3s Pro Technical Guide is almost all about autofocus and sports.

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/archives/pdf/D3S_TechnicalGuide.pdf

[Edit: Link fixed.]

Edited on Nov 30, 2013 at 06:19 PM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2013 at 02:29 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Focus settings for sports

@lara Thanks, but the link is for the D3 guide, not D3s. But either way, it still doesn't really answer my question.
@Luftwalk Yes, That's the way I understand it too. I now realize I said it wrong in my post. What I mean is does any of this affect INITIAL focus acquisition, as opposed to re-focus acquisition. I think not, but just ain't 100% sure.

Nov 30, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Focus settings for sports

egd5 wrote:
....What I mean is does any of this affect INITIAL focus acquisition, as opposed to re-focus acquisition. I think not, but just ain't 100% sure.

You have it correctly.

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:17 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Focus settings for sports

egd5 wrote:
@lara Thanks, but the link is for the D3 guide, not D3s. But either way, it still doesn't really answer my question.

Link fixed.

IRIC, Thom Hogan describe focus tracking OFF as extra-short. ie: 5=long, 1=short, OFF=extra short.

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:20 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Focus settings for sports

Thanks Gaylon

Lara, that sounds like a good description.

Nov 30, 2013 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.