Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Looking for interesting places within a few hours to take photos

xsv21
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for interesting places within a few hours to take photos

Hello everyone,

I am a student at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI and am currently looking for some new locations to take photos. I was thinking somewhere in the Dakota's, something with better landmarks or terrain/elevation. If you guys have any suggestions that would be great. We are looking to go around the beginning of Jan.

Nov 29, 2013 at 08:18 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for interesting places within a few hours to take photos

I live in Iowa but have visited the Dakotas many times and IMO the best areas are the western parts of both states. In South Dakota the badlands and Black Hills while in North Dakota the Enchanted Highway and Theodore Roosevelt National Park were what I most enjoyed. Of the two states I prefer South Dakota, lots of photo ops there concentrated in a relatively small area and not far away just across the state line into Wyoming is Devils Tower.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM
xsv21
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for interesting places within a few hours to take photos

Thanks! And any ideas on places to stay with access to higher elevations? I'm very interesting in star trails and am limited to the flat low elevation of central Wisconsin

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
photonanax3
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for interesting places within a few hours to take photos

Have you considered Lake Superior on the MN side, lovingly referred to as the North Shore by the natives? Lots of opportunities for frozen waterfalls, possible crashing waves and plenty of opportunity for star trails along the shore.

Dec 02, 2013 at 04:20 PM
xsv21
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for interesting places within a few hours to take photos

I drive up to Central Ontario every year and definitely agree with you, but what Im looking for is elevation. Higher elevation means I'm getting closer to the stars resulting in clearer pictures.

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Vince Muehe

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for interesting places within a few hours to take photos

The highest point in Minnesota is near the North Shore at Eagle Mountain (2301')

Meanwhile, Badlands National Park has an elevation range of 2,443' to 3,255'

You may want to look at this link for elevations across the U.S. http://weather.unisys.com/usgs/

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.