FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              20      
       22       23       24       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Beni
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.21 #1 · p.21 #1 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

No kidding so would I, what I would give for a 'my menu' tab in the menu, or for a minimum shutter in auto iso or for the ability to show image review on the back screen only, etc.

Ain't going to happen though. Even ML has given up pretty much, did the 5D3 hack ever even get out of beta? And that is with a huge and vocal market unlike that of the A7/r unfortunately.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM
vipergts831
• •
p.21 #2 · p.21 #2 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Great thread here!

Aug 13, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.21 #3 · p.21 #3 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

charles.K wrote:
In this bright ambient lighting, I now avoid using the EVF and just the LV screen, set on bright daylight.

I posted here in this thread, hoping that someone else, may have had a similar experience!

Charles, I think you have stumbled upon a brilliant excuse to walk round all day wearing an eyepatch in order to keep one eye dark adapted for the EVF. Apparently pilots used to do this before instrument panels were illuminated.

Trying to explain to people why the A7R forces you to have a parrot on your shoulder and talk in a funny accent will be more difficult, however.

Aug 15, 2014 at 05:38 AM
leetmode
• •
p.21 #4 · p.21 #4 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a way to enable Focus Peaking while using the magnification feature?

Aug 15, 2014 at 09:47 AM
ScottAG

p.21 #5 · p.21 #5 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Peaking does work while in focus magnification, however I've found that it's a bit harder to see the peaking detail in this mode.

Aug 16, 2014 at 04:30 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.21 #6 · p.21 #6 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Hi all. Got a problem, which some of you may have found a solution to. I am using few manual lenses with dumb adapter. As the picture doesn't show FL, is there any way I can mark the pictures as I take them? I know, I can create separate folders, but it seems cumbersome to me.

Aug 16, 2014 at 08:36 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.21 #7 · p.21 #7 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Unfortunately not, that I am aware of. I would love a Nikon-like way to select between some pre-configured focal length/aperture settings.

Aug 17, 2014 at 01:29 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.21 #8 · p.21 #8 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

CalBoy87 wrote:
Hi all. Got a problem, which some of you may have found a solution to. I am using few manual lenses with dumb adapter. As the picture doesn't show FL, is there any way I can mark the pictures as I take them? I know, I can create separate folders, but it seems cumbersome to me.

When I'm shooting more than one MF lens and care about FL retention, when I switch lenses I shoot an image of my hand with one, two, three, four, or all digits up. I've mentally assigned 1 to my widest, 2 to next widest, etc. Shots made with my longest tele I can figure out without help.

In post it's not too hard to select every image for "3 fingers" and key in the appropriate FL.

If you have lots more lenses, you might have to shoot toes.

Aug 17, 2014 at 02:02 AM
mikedefieslife
• •
p.21 #9 · p.21 #9 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Is there a way to set the camera up to allow me use the D-pad to select my focus area?

At the moment it's a bit slow because I have to first press C1, only then does the d-pad become active and allow the focus box to be moved.

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM
grahamb3
• •
p.21 #10 · p.21 #10 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

mikedefieslife wrote:
Is there a way to set the camera up to allow me use the D-pad to select my focus area?

If one keeps the standard setting (labeled "standard" in the menu custom key settings), the center button of the toggle brings up the focus box.

Aug 17, 2014 at 08:32 PM
grahamb3
• •
p.21 #11 · p.21 #11 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

CalBoy87 wrote:

List your lenses individually on blank pages of your shooting diary (you do carry a shooting diary don't you? ). When you mount a chip-less lens, take a shot of the appropriate page.

Aug 17, 2014 at 08:43 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.21 #12 · p.21 #12 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Thank you all for assistance, ideas with fingers or pages with lens name are good. Was hoping for something like Canon implementation of rating the pictures on the fly or Nikon (even better) of registering the lenses. Anyway, I am willing to put up with this inconvenience, considering how small, light and fun to shoot with all those MF lenses are. Thank you all for valuable input.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.21 #13 · p.21 #13 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

grahamb3 wrote:
List your lenses individually on blank pages of your shooting diary (you do carry a shooting diary don't you? ). When you mount a chip-less lens, take a shot of the appropriate page.

Whenever I'm going to mount a non chipped lenses, I just take a photo of the lens immediately before I mount it to the camera.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.21 #14 · p.21 #14 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I've had a lot of trouble shooting with manual lenses stopped down in the studio on my A7r. The light is low and when you're at f5.6+ it's very hard to find focus on your model, even when you zoom in, due to the low light exacerbated by the closed aperture, the noise from the gain is very distracting, you can hardly see the focus sometimes. Last night I did a shoot and went old school to try and get around this problem. I put the camera on a tripod, focused wide open then manually closed down for the shot. Slow and rather old fashioned but it does work. Manual stopped down focusing. Outdoors it's easier of course, there's plenty light.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:40 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.21 #15 · p.21 #15 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Here is the other issue, or am I a moron? First, here is the link to A7 help guide, from Sony:
https://docs.sony.com/release/ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf
Page 118: Using the "Quick Navi"
You can change the settings directly using the Quick Navi screen when using the viewfinder.
1. Press the DISP (Display Setting) button on the control wheel repeatedly until the screen is set to [For
viewfinder].
2. Press Fn (Function) button to switch the screen to Quick Navi screen.
3. Select the desired function by pressing the up/down/left/right side of the control wheel.
4. Turn the front dial to select the desired setting.

Now, my understanding was that this screen will show up in the viewfinder and I can make all the changes without taking my eye from it. But...my viewfinder stays the same, the screed from LCD never shows in VF. Am I doing something wrong here, or I simple misread:
" You can change the settings directly using the Quick Navi screen when using the viewfinder."

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:24 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.21 #16 · p.21 #16 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Beni wrote:
I've had a lot of trouble shooting with manual lenses stopped down in the studio on my A7r. The light is low and when you're at f5.6+ it's very hard to find focus on your model, even when you zoom in, due to the low light exacerbated by the closed aperture, the noise from the gain is very distracting, you can hardly see the focus sometimes

The Metabones smart adapter lets you choose whether to keep the lens wide open for manual/autofocus or not. There are situations where you want to focus wide open (such as the one you mentioned) and there are other situations where you want to see the real DoF in the viewfinder/LCD, for example when doing macro work.

Yet another plus for shooting Canon lenses on the A7R!

Aug 18, 2014 at 07:34 AM
grahamb3
• •
p.21 #17 · p.21 #17 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

CalBoy87 wrote:
Here is the other issue, or am I a moron? First, here is the link to A7 help guide, from Sony:
https://docs.sony.com/release/ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf
Page 118: Using the "Quick Navi"
You can change the settings directly using the Quick Navi screen when using the viewfinder.
1. Press the DISP (Display Setting) button on the control wheel repeatedly until the screen is set to [For
viewfinder].
2. Press Fn (Function) button to switch the screen to Quick Navi screen.
3. Select the desired function by pressing the up/down/left/right side of the control wheel.
4. Turn the front dial to select the desired setting.

Now, my understanding was that this screen will
...Show more

Holding the camera to your eye, press the FN button. You should see the quick nav screen at the bottom of the EVF.

Aug 18, 2014 at 08:47 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.21 #18 · p.21 #18 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Afraid that's not it. I can see quick nav screen at any time by pushing fn. button. I was hoping to see the same screen as LCD display in [for viewfinder] mode. As manual said, why would I bother to change LCD display mode, if I can see quick navi screen at any time?

Aug 18, 2014 at 09:01 AM
grahamb3
• •
p.21 #19 · p.21 #19 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

CalBoy87 wrote:
Afraid that's not it. I can see quick nav screen at any time by pushing fn. button. I was hoping to see the same screen as LCD display in [for viewfinder] mode. As manual said, why would I bother to change LCD display mode, if I can see quick navi screen at any time?

Under the "gear" (sprocket) icon, page 2, "Disp Button". One has options as to what is displayed on the EVF and LCD.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.21 #20 · p.21 #20 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

grahamb3 wrote:
Under the "gear" (sprocket) icon, page 2, "Disp Button". One has options as to what is displayed on the EVF and LCD.

And I have checked the [for viewfinder] box. I was expecting to see same screen in VF as on LCD, but this is not happening. I guess I misread the manual. Thank you for help

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.