Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              22       23       end

Sony A7/A7R Setup

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

carstenw wrote:
Right, 1/60s for my FE35. I prefer to choose myself though.

Oddly, the RX1 chooses 1/80s.

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:33 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Here's the Manuals link on the North American support site:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7

On this page is a link to an HTML version of the user guide... this may be the source of the "better manual" that was linked to from Google Docs the other day in the other thread. That guide was a PDF which looked to be formed as a print-output file and I'm guessing the HTML version is the source.

Sadly the HTML link currently returns an Access Denied message. Check back some other day.

I've checked some of the other international Sony support sites but haven't found a parallel as yet.

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:48 PM
miklar
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

michaelwatkins wrote:
Here's the Manuals link on the North American support site:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7

On this page is a link to an HTML version of the user guide... this may be the source of the "better manual" that was linked to from Google Docs the other day in the other thread. That guide was a PDF which looked to be formed as a print-output file and I'm guessing the HTML version is the source.

Sadly the HTML link currently returns an Access Denied message. Check back some other day.

I've checked some of the other international Sony support sites but haven't found a parallel as yet.

Was able to download it and it is better than the version located on Google. This one has active links to pages denoted in the index.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers

Dec 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

douglasf13 wrote:
Oddly, the RX1 chooses 1/80s.

Haha, gotta love Sony

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:09 PM
TSY87
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

ISO1600 wrote:
I think the closest you can do is have the EVF do EVERYTHING... Not exactly ideal.

definitely not ideal...

Hopefully this is a feature they can add on with an update.

Also, does anyone else have trouble getting the NFC function working with their android phones?

I cant get it to work with my note 3 on verizon... stock rom.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:08 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

carstenw wrote:
I updated mine. Takes about 3s to transfer a full size image (24MP). It can also auto-focus where you tap on the screen.

That's bizarre. I just transferred 6 images (RAWs) and i took a couple of minutes. First 2-3 min of nothing then a *very* slow progress bar. I do have a fast wifi and fast computer so something else must be wrong. Not that I think it has any impact but I have updated the remote control thingy.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:59 PM
TSY87
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

another question, when transferring files, does there have to be a 3rd party wifi signal? or can the phone and camera link directly?

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:38 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

The camera creates a hotspot which the phone connects to.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Do you need to download an app for your iPad?

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

It's really neat that if you map ISO to a button (which you definitely should, it's way too easy to change accidentally when mapped to the thumb wheel) the front control dial adjusts it by default 1/3 steps but the rear control dial adjusts it by whole steps.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AhamB
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

ISO1600 wrote:
Do the Leica M's do this?

Leica M's are not live view cameras, so the shutter is normally closed. A live view camera has a normally open shutter so that it doesn't use power while showing the LCD/EVF feed.

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Dustobub

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Lee Saxon wrote:
It's really neat that if you map ISO to a button (which you definitely should, it's way too easy to change accidentally when mapped to the thumb wheel) the front control dial adjusts it by default 1/3 steps but the rear control dial adjusts it by whole steps.

Beautiful! I didn't mind the control wheel much, but I much prefer adjusting ISO in full stops. It's now my C2 button. Awesome.

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:10 AM
dennishh
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Has anyone tried tethering their camera to a PC or Mac directly with a USB cable? My camera doesn't show up until tomorrow or the next day I'm sorry to say so I have all of these questions, but I do love this thread. I wonder if the camera will transfer images tethered to a PC and still output on HDMI signal? This way you could have live view all the time on a small monitor and still get your images transferred into light room.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:24 AM
Calidreamin

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Hey everyone,

Just received my a7.

Anyone notice that the power save start time setting even if set to 10 seconds does not seem to activate?

On my NEX to save power the camera would turn off after a period of time... to save battery.

Also, has anyone figured out how to set the memory settings 1 and 2?

Mine seem not to be able to be set, no matter what I tried and the manual as we know is garbage.

Thanks!

Dec 04, 2013 at 08:53 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Jeff Kott wrote:
Do you need to download an app for your iPad?

Yes, it is called PlayMemories Mobile.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:45 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Anyone knows what does display quality do? I can't see any difference.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:59 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Calidreamin wrote:
Hey everyone,

Just received my a7.

Anyone notice that the power save start time setting even if set to 10 seconds does not seem to activate?

On my NEX to save power the camera would turn off after a period of time... to save battery.

Also, has anyone figured out how to set the memory settings 1 and 2?

Mine seem not to be able to be set, no matter what I tried and the manual as we know is garbage.

Thanks!

I have the power off set to 1 minute, and I have seen the camera off (the the power switch on), although I have not noticed if it works consistently.

Download this manual, it is much better:

http://docs.sony.com/release/ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf

To set the memory settings, set up the camera how you like it, then go to Menu>Camera>Page 7>Memory, and press the center button. You need then to choose which bank.

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:03 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

My A7r arrived late yesterday and I am now charging my 3rd battery and will go back to top off the first again. I have been playing a little with the camera and have been trying to work with the camera set-up. But, like many I am not familiar with the NEX and RX-1 menus and set-up. So, I have some questions. The first regards the fact that there was no software included with the camera.

1) I have the camera set to both RAW and JPEG. But since I have no software, how do I download any images from the Memory Card via my card reader to my computer (PC)? I have LR5.3RC and PS6. Do I just let one of my imaging software programs access the files? If I import through LR at least the way mine is configured it only imports RAW.

2) From my reading it is suggested to turn off NR and turn off any of the default settings for the camera to basically "cook" the RAW files. Where do I find these in the menus and how do I turn these features off?

3) Going through the menus and playing with the camera I may have accidentally changed some of the color settings. How do I check if I made the changes and set them back to "normal"?

As I get back to play more with the camera and with both M-mount and R-mount lenses I am sure that I will find more things to ask about.

Rich

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:29 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Answering in the most practical order:

1) I think that is a setting in the Lightroom preferences. Maybe someone else can chime in.

3) Menu/toolbox/page 6/Settings Reset.

2) I have turned off NR (Menu/Camera/page 5/Long Exposure NR and High ISO NR), as well as Distortion Comp. (Menu/Gear/page 5/Lens Comp.), but have left on Shading Comp. And Chro. Aber. Comp.) the results aren't perfect, but are good enough for me not to want to bother with Shading files for the FE35.

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:15 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Carsten,

Thanks very much. Appreciate the help.

Rich

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1       2      
       4              22       23       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell