1       2       3              19      
       21              23       24       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

nandadevieast
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #1 · p.20 #1 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Hi,
Please solve the mystery of menu item "focus settings" for me.
All it seem to do is put a rectangle in the frame to magnify.
But then there is another menu item called "focus magnify".
And yet another called, "zoom".
??
Thanks,

May 14, 2014 at 08:58 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.20 #2 · p.20 #2 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

nandadevieast wrote:
Hi,
Please solve the mystery of menu item "focus settings" for me.
All it seem to do is put a rectangle in the frame to magnify.
But then there is another menu item called "focus magnify".
And yet another called, "zoom".
??
Thanks,

In manual it's said for
Focus setting = "Allows you to focus using the front dial, rear dial or control wheel."
Focus magnify = "Enlarges the image before shooting so that you can check the focus."

With manual lens these work identically. Maybe there are some differences with AF-lenses, at least "Focus settings" sounds like you could manual focus using mentioned controls. I have never tried, and can't see any point as there is focus ring in the lens.

Could not find "Zoom" from manual or camera (checked A7 and A7r both newest firmware). Sounds like something relevant for reviewing images, thou manual had most references to "zoom"-word on power zoom features.

Samuli

May 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.20 #3 · p.20 #3 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Nanda, if you press the C1 button a second time, the camera zooms in on the rectangle, and a third time even more. A four time cycles back to the beginning. This is really useful for manual lenses, although I have the function on the control wheel centre button. This is for Focus Settings.

May 14, 2014 at 05:49 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.20 #4 · p.20 #4 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Thank you for all the input, great source of info, not found in the sorry version of Sony's manual. I like to ask you all, how do you do PP? I was using Canon before and LR was good enough for me. Now, I follow someones advice and rather than importing ARW to LR, I opened them in IDC (Image Data Converter) and export them as TIFF, then import them to LR. Original ARW imported to LR looks much worse then the TIFF, colors and details. When both converted to jpg, TIFF conversion look better too. Anybody else notice this, or am I doing something wrong here, and getting same quality from LR is possible?

Jun 19, 2014 at 06:10 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #5 · p.20 #5 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Hmm...don't know what would make processing ARWs in LR of lesser quality. Wonder if the IDC is pre-processing so the comparison isn't apples to apples? Currently using LR 5.5 on those from my a7r and when done (ie import and then edited) each photo comes out fine.

Matt

Buck Canyon - Canyonlands NP Moab, UT

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:51 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.20 #6 · p.20 #6 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I also agree that LR 5 is doing fine job. My point was that somehow IDC can get more details and bit different (closer to the original) colors. I will probably end up using LR for convenience and familiarity with it, but I was wondering why IDC seems better, and if is possible to get those details in LR as well.

Jun 20, 2014 at 07:05 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.20 #7 · p.20 #7 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I need to rely to open the Sony A7R RAW file in LR and PS since it makes a huge difference if filters like Nik run with a graphics (JPG,TIFF) or with a RAW file. I didn't observe any drawback so far, I am not using the Sony RAW processing software (tested it, but I found it too cumbersome for further processing work).

Jun 20, 2014 at 07:20 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #8 · p.20 #8 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Just wanted to say that I've learned so much about my A7R by going through this thread. Thanks to all!

Jul 19, 2014 at 07:10 PM
atwl77
• •
p.20 #9 · p.20 #9 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Does anyone know what is the intended purpose of Shot Result Preview?

I'm running my A7R with Live View effect off in order to keep the lens wide open while focusing, but as we already know the side effect of this is that histogram, exposure compensation, etc do not apply to the live view display.

So I thought Shot Result Preview might be useful in this scenario, but it doesn't seem differ from Aperture Preview at all. Even if I dial exposure compensation up to +3EV the image doesn't brighten up as expected.

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:12 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.20 #10 · p.20 #10 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

jhinkey wrote:
Just wanted to say that I've learned so much about my A7R by going through this thread. Thanks to all!

I'll second that sentiment. I'm still going through the process and tinkering with the custom settings. As a landscaper shooting from a tripod, I have now set C3 to "drive mode", where I can quickly set a 2-second self timer. C1 and C2 are still works in progress while I figure out the best options to suit my shooting style.

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:48 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.20 #11 · p.20 #11 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

deleted

Edited on Jul 20, 2014 at 06:46 AM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2014 at 06:40 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.20 #12 · p.20 #12 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

rji2goleez wrote:
Anyone using 3rd party batteries successfully?

I have two Halcyon batteries that work fine in the NEX-5N. However, using the a7R gives a compatibility errorr message and shuts down. Fortunately, I have 5 OEM batteries.

I picked up a few spares from Sterlingtek...about $14.99 USD each, and the same price for a charger which Sony doesn't include with the camera (why?). The OEM battery charges up just fine in this charger. These non-OEM batteries are 1500mAh.

Jul 20, 2014 at 06:46 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.20 #13 · p.20 #13 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Very informative thread, thanks to all who have contributed!

Edited on Aug 07, 2014 at 01:10 PM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2014 at 06:32 AM
Steve464

p.20 #14 · p.20 #14 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

On the A7 does anyone know of a way to turn off the info screen that pops up when changing from A to M etc.

Thanks

Aug 07, 2014 at 08:21 AM
robbie36
• •
p.20 #15 · p.20 #15 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

What is the difference between 'face detection' and 'eye af'? Well I imagine that face detection focuses on the face while 'eye af' focuses on the nearest eye. But is their anyway to automatically focus on the nearest eye when using face detection?

And in any case, when face detection is on, where on the face does it focus?

Aug 07, 2014 at 08:57 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.20 #16 · p.20 #16 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Eye AF is a submode of facial detection. I am not sure what it normally focuses on, maybe whatever it finds.

Aug 07, 2014 at 11:58 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.20 #17 · p.20 #17 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Steve464 wrote:
On the A7 does anyone know of a way to turn off the info screen that pops up when changing from A to M etc.

Thanks

This maybe:

MENU → Gear (Custom Settings) → [Exposure Set. Guide] → desired setting.

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Hexonxonx

p.20 #18 · p.20 #18 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Don't remember if it has been mentioned but you can't charge the batteries in the grip via USB, you have to put back the batteries in the body.
I have a charger on its way so I won't care anymore but cumbersome behaviour nethertheless ...

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:39 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.20 #19 · p.20 #19 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

carstenw wrote:
Eye AF is a submode of facial detection. I am not sure what it normally focuses on, maybe whatever it finds.

I read about eye detection in the manual but do not use it. I only spot focus which allows face detection but I recall reading that you need to use the largest focus area for it to subsequently perform eye detection, if enabled. Too many buttons/menus for me to toggle eye detect easily, but I do have a custom button assigned to access face detect quickly. I find face detect works well for those that do not know how to focus a scene (random tourists graciously taking a photo of my entire family during vacation). I usually just leave it on spot focus and put it on an eyeball.

David

Aug 07, 2014 at 02:14 PM
leetmode
• •
p.20 #20 · p.20 #20 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Man just went through all 20 pages, a lot of stuff I already knew, but there were some great ideas when it comes to the custom buttons and settings, very informative thread!

I have a question though, what would it take to create a custom firmware for these cameras? Maybe something like Magic Lantern for Canon? Or maybe even modify the current one just to address some of the issues we are all having? Is there anyone out there that could do this? I would be willing to pay for this if it works well and the price is right.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.