Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18              22       23       end

Sony A7/A7R Setup

Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

taemo wrote:
is there anyway to use only the viewfinder but when you want to review the images, it displays on the monitor instead of the viewfinder?

If you have the camera set to show review images, just take your eye off the viewfinder and you will see the review image in the rear LCD.

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:46 PM
taemo
• •
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Jeff Kott wrote:
If you have the camera set to show review images, just take your eye off the viewfinder and you will see the review image in the rear LCD.

wheres the setting for review image?
i set auto review to off too but i like taking pictures and pictures. then maybe after a while go through them.

if i have the camera set for viewfinder only, it playbacks on the VF only

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:57 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

taemo wrote:
wheres the setting for review image?
i set auto review to off too but i like taking pictures and pictures. then maybe after a while go through them.

if i have the camera set for viewfinder only, it playbacks on the VF only

Sorry, I'm at work and don't have the camera or manual here. You need to have image review set to on (you can choose the amount of time it stays on) and you have to have the camera set so the LCD with auto eye detect which switches the view automatically to the EVF when you place your eye up to it. If you can't find these settings, send a PM to me and I'll get back to you later today when I have access to my camera.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:23 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Well, I finally broke down and got my first AF lens for my A7r - the 55/1.8. Of course, I'm having to reconfigure my camera settings for AF. In particular, I want to see if using Eye Detection AF will allow me to get some more critically focused shots of my fast moving toddler. As she get older, she sits still less and I'm getting fewer in focus shots using MF.

I'm a little confused as to how Eye Detection AF interacts with the other focus settings. Here are some of my questions and maybe some of you with more experience using that setting have already figured it out.

I assume it's best to have Face Detection enabled because Eye Detect will not work if the AF system doesn't detect a face and if you've got Face Detect enabled you can at lease see when the camera has detected a face. Correct?

When the AF system detects a face and you push and hold the Eye Detect button, does it make any difference whether you're in AF-S or AF-C?

Similarly, when you push and hold the Eye Detect button, does it make any difference whether you've got the camera set for flexible spot or wide area AF?

Any other tips for using Eye Detect AF?

Thanks!

Mar 07, 2014 at 09:24 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Well, it appears that there's not a lot of interest in the workings of Eye Detect AF, but I've done some research, worked with the camera and answered my own questions. I'm posting the following in case someone does a search for this topic.

To use Eye Detect, you must be in AF-S mode. It will not work in AF-C and of course not in MF mode.

Eye Detect will work (by holding down the assigned button) whether or not you have Face Detection enabled and irrespective of your focus area setting. In other words, as long as you are in AF-S mode, Eye Detect will work even if Face Detection is not enabled and even if you are using flexible spot and the spot is no where near the eye.

It seems to me that the best settings to use if you're trying to do a portrait, want to use AF and Eye Detect are to enable Face Detect and use Wide Area AF. That way the Face Detect automatically focuses on the face and then by pushing the Eye Detect button you are fine tuning. BTW, when you push and hold the Eye Detect button and if it focuses on the "wrong" eye, if you release and then repress the button it is supposed to focus on the other eye.

I'm going to see how all this works this weekend with my 20 month old and see if I feel like I can get more keepers than with MF.

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:02 AM
Mikko Haapasaari

Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I am wondering how is it possible to assign manual focus/magnify aid to shutter button as suggested by Nandadevieast? Cannot find in the manual.

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:30 AM
nandadevieast
• •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Hi
Let me be clearer:
You assign AF on to rear AF/MF button and deactivate the focussing with shutter button. Now you can focus with rear button and click with pressing the shutter.

But in this method you cant manual focus by magnifying...it needs AF S for it to work.

There is another way you do the above but you also can manual focus.

Put focus mode to MF
AF/MF button to focus hold
Deactivate focus with shutter

Now even if focus mode is MF...for some reason (which i cant understand) the AF/MF button will autofocus the camera...without even assigning AF On to it. As above you can trip the shutter to take picture.

But, if you rotate the focus ring, you can also manual focus by magnifying because the focus is already set to MF.

Mikko Haapasaari wrote:
I am wondering how is it possible to assign manual focus/magnify aid to shutter button as suggested by Nandadevieast? Cannot find in the manual.

Mar 09, 2014 at 07:16 AM
nandadevieast
• •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I have 2 questions:

After AF if we want to fine tune the focus by MF...suppose we rotate the focus ring to magnify the shot...
Will it throw off the AF already achieved?

I am adking this because i have assigned C1 to magnify...and i want to free up that button.

Mode dial 1 and 2:
These memory functions cant remember the functions assigned to buttons and dials Is it possible to do that?

Mar 09, 2014 at 07:22 AM
IJG_DR

p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I find the Fn button to be extremely useful. I have set it using Function Menu Set (gearwheel icon menu tab, 6 sub-tab) to:

First row: Quality, Aspect Ratio, Picture Effect, DRO/Auto HDR, Creative Style, Grid Line
Second row: Metering Mode, Focus Area, Peaking Level, Zebra, Flash Mode, Flash Comp.

It provides an easy way to set key functions on the VF using the wheels.

Mar 22, 2014 at 03:35 PM
wingsdomain

p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

AGeoJO wrote:
Can someone help me how to enter copyright info/owner info into my Sony A7r, please? I tried and tried but couldn't figure it out. I downloaded PlayMemories Home and connected my camera to my Mac and still no luck. Thanks!

BTW, the Mac version of the PlayMemories Home is very buggy. It started out OK but after the file download, my MBP froze a few times, even after the restart . It simply froze too many times for may taste.

Did you ever find a Sony solution to adding copyright info to the Sony A7r images? Would be nice if there was a Sony solution, short of that I may have to use something like IrFanView to add it on the jpg's, just adds another layer of things to my workflow and don't think it works for arw's.

-W

Mar 23, 2014 at 02:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alwang
• • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I just picked up an A7 thanks to the great deals available right now, and I'm pretty satisfied with most things handling-wise. I thought the double-button press to get to a magnified focus was going to be really irritating coming from my NEX-5N where I could just tap anywhere on the screen, but I've found the C1 button firm enough that the double tap is not a big deal.

What is a huge deal for me is how sensitive the proximity sensor is for switching between EVF and LCD. When I shoot LCD, I'm mostly shooting waist-level, with the edge of the LCD pressed against my stomach for stability. Even though that puts the eyepiece a good two inches from my body, it's enough to trigger the EVF. Has anyone come up with any workarounds for this? The fact that there is no control for switching between EVF and LCD is killing me.

Mar 23, 2014 at 09:26 PM
systema

p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

nandadevieast wrote:
There is another way you do the above but you also can manual focus.

Put focus mode to MF
AF/MF button to focus hold
Deactivate focus with shutter

Now even if focus mode is MF...for some reason (which i cant understand) the AF/MF button will autofocus the camera...without even assigning AF On to it. As above you can trip the shutter to take picture.

But, if you rotate the focus ring, you can also manual focus by magnifying because the focus is already set to MF.

Thanks for this, I have no idea why it is a complicated set up to achieve this method of AF/MF toggling, but it is exactly what I was looking for.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:18 PM
systema

p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

taemo wrote:
is there anyway to use only the viewfinder but when you want to review the images, it displays on the monitor instead of the viewfinder?

Love to figure this out too.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:37 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

alwang wrote:
I just picked up an A7 thanks to the great deals available right now, and I'm pretty satisfied with most things handling-wise. I thought the double-button press to get to a magnified focus was going to be really irritating coming from my NEX-5N where I could just tap anywhere on the screen, but I've found the C1 button firm enough that the double tap is not a big deal.

What is a huge deal for me is how sensitive the proximity sensor is for switching between EVF and LCD. When I shoot LCD, I'm mostly shooting waist-level, with the edge of
...Show more

i agree, this is super annoying. i had the same issue with the nex-7 too. i don't know why sony won't let you assign one of the custom buttons to toggle between evf and lcd.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM
leterpee

p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I have just purchased a Sony A7r with CZ 55 and 35 mm lenses.In Australia all A7r come with the Metabones 3 Adaptor - I elected for the Canon EOS mount as I will be looking for an 85 mm and possibly a 24 mm lens.
Still getting used to it but have a question for the Forum.I would like to do some stitches (and yes I print really big) but am not certain how to (a) lock exposure and AF.It was really easy on my DP2 & DP3 Merrills as you pressed the AF/AE button.Can't seem to find where in the complex menus -its probably buried somewhere deep in them.Any ideas ?
PS I have just purchased Brian Smiths A7/A7r book and this should be here in a few weeks, thank goodness.

Mar 26, 2014 at 05:53 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

leterpee wrote:
I have just purchased a Sony A7r with CZ 55 and 35 mm lenses.In Australia all A7r come with the Metabones 3 Adaptor - I elected for the Canon EOS mount as I will be looking for an 85 mm and possibly a 24 mm lens.
Still getting used to it but have a question for the Forum.I would like to do some stitches (and yes I print really big) but am not certain how to (a) lock exposure and AF.It was really easy on my DP2 & DP3 Merrills as you pressed the AF/AE button.Can't seem to find where in
...Show more

you can program most of the customizable buttons to be either AF or AE lock. i don't think there is a way to make one button do both (though you can use just the AF/MF AE switch button to do it all).

for AEL lock assign a button to the custom fuction "AEL toggle", for the AF lock i believe you should assign a button to the custom fuction "AF/MF control toggle" (i don't actually have any AF lenses so i haven't tested this).

Mar 26, 2014 at 06:24 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

oh, i had a question too.

face detection still works with manual focus lenses, is there a way to get the focus zoom to automatically go to the detected face instead of the center? i'm guessing not, but that'd be super cool...

Mar 26, 2014 at 06:30 AM
darrellc
• •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

That would be a great feature. Therefore, by definition, Sony won't do it in a firmware update to the A7/R.

Mar 26, 2014 at 06:35 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

alwang wrote:
What is a huge deal for me is how sensitive the proximity sensor is for switching between EVF and LCD. When I shoot LCD, I'm mostly shooting waist-level, with the edge of the LCD pressed against my stomach for stability. Even though that puts the eyepiece a good two inches from my body, it's enough to trigger the EVF. Has anyone come up with any workarounds for this? The fact that there is no control for switching between EVF and LCD is killing me.

How often do you switch between waist-level and eye-level shooting? If you keep the menu at the FINDER/MONITOR item, it takes 5 seconds to switch from AUTO to MONITOR. If you remember that it is under the settings pane (the wheel symbol) and sub-menu 3, it takes another 3 seconds to find it.

I would want it to be button assignable too, but it isn't killing me.

Mar 26, 2014 at 07:44 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I use the EVF for shooting and the monitor for menu stuff. I could live with review in the EVF, but not menu work. I also tend to walk around with my A7 in my hand, and every time I swing the camera past my leg, the EVF goes on, if I am not careful. I prefer the eye-detect sensor to be off, and am happy to tap the shutter release to activate the EVF.

Mar 26, 2014 at 08:30 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password