DP

Edited on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:44 AM
SteveF
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
I have never understood why people connect AF to shutter button, it makes life so difficult. Specially with A7/A7r-kind of cameras, where the shutter button is really not having clear feeling for half press. Anything I have shoot with AF during my life (weddings/events, motorsports and very long time ago landscapes/nature) I could not imagine using shutter button for focus.

Why people wanna make their life so difficult? What is the benefit (this is serious question, as I see nothing positive about this)?

Samuli

While I keep them separate when I am shooting, especially with a smaller camera such as the a7 I am likely to hand it to someone else to take a shot. For a non-photographer they expect it to all be on one button.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:48 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

SteveF wrote:
While I keep them separate when I am shooting, especially with a smaller camera such as the a7 I am likely to hand it to someone else to take a shot. For a non-photographer they expect it to all be on one button.

I prefer to configure the camera to my preferences, which is to separate AF from the shutter button. In the instances where I have handed my camera off to someone else, I point to the little button in the AF/MF switch and tell them that they need to hold it down to AF and people don't seem to have a problem with that.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

nandadevieast wrote:
Thanks
Why the af/mf button preferable to DMF method?

It really depends on what you want to do. It is one of several ways of disengaging AF from the shutter button.

For me the toggle button enables e.g. prefocusing for which there are plenty of uses when an AF lens is attached. That is not possible with DMF, you would need to turn AF off and FE lenses have no such switch (as e.g. Canon does).

DMF - as far as I am concerned - adds the vaguely useful auto-magnification while pressing the shutter halfway and turning the focus ring. I am no big fan of the mushy feel of the focus rings on FE lenses and that is one reason I prefer manual ones. Depending on *your* use case I assume there are a number of settings that can help.

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:10 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

SteveF wrote:

Didn't think of that, but FE35 and FE55 are first AF-lenses since 2008 I have used more than 100 shots, so handling my camera by non-alt-photographer has always been difficult. Also I would never give my camera to anyone else - for the shot with tilted horizon and my legs cut from very wrong height, I hand my cell phone instead...

Samuli

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:24 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Didn't think of that, but FE35 and FE55 are first AF-lenses since 2008 I have used more than 100 shots, so handling my camera by non-alt-photographer has always been difficult. Also I would never give my camera to anyone else - for the shot with tilted horizon and my legs cut from very wrong height, I hand my cell phone instead...

Samuli

gotta love those centered shots cut off just below the knees...

that's where ultrawideangles with lots of mega pixels to crop out come in handy.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:39 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

It also helps them steady the camera before actuating the shutter.

Jeff Kott wrote:
I prefer to configure the camera to my preferences, which is to separate AF from the shutter button. In the instances where I have handed my camera off to someone else, I point to the little button in the AF/MF switch and tell them that they need to hold it down to AF and people don't seem to have a problem with that.

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:11 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Playing with the camera.
I feel the exposure compensation wheel was not needed at all.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Beginning to understand it.
I have set the AF/MF button to af/mf toggle (not the af/mf hold).
Press the button once and camera becomes manual focus (you dont have to keep the af/mf button pressing to magnify, which frees the finger).
Press the button again and it becomes af.

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:28 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.16 #10 · p.16 #10 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

nandadevieast wrote:
Beginning to understand it.
I have set the AF/MF button to af/mf toggle (not the af/mf hold).
Press the button once and camera becomes manual focus (you dont have to keep the af/mf button pressing to magnify, which frees the finger).
Press the button again and it becomes af.

FWIW, I set my AF/MF button to AF/MF hold with the camera on manual focus. That way the camera only does AF when I am holding the button down. I find this better than AF/MF toggle because once the AF has been engaged and I am comfortable the focus is correct, I am able to disengage AF by simply releasing the pressure on the button which is quicker and creates less movement than another press. This is handy for focus recompose and with the Sony cameras which tend to hunt a lot in AF it is good to get out of AF quickly before the fiddly AF system decides to start hunting.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:02 PM
tjack
• •
p.16 #11 · p.16 #11 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I found this helpful, only with Auto Focus lenses though.

EXPOSURE COMPENSATION DIAL "Priority"

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/2013/12/sony-alpha-tip-priority-this-is-my-tip.html

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:14 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.16 #12 · p.16 #12 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Sound logic.
Will try both and see how it goes.

Jeff Kott wrote:
FWIW, I set my AF/MF button to AF/MF hold with the camera on manual focus. That way the camera only does AF when I am holding the button down. I find this better than AF/MF toggle because once the AF has been engaged and I am comfortable the focus is correct, I am able to disengage AF by simply releasing the pressure on the button which is quicker and creates less movement than another press. This is handy for focus recompose and with the Sony cameras which tend to hunt a lot in AF it is good to get
...Show more

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:47 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.16 #13 · p.16 #13 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Wfrank wrote:

Not sure what you want to do but you can e.g. place toggle AF/MF control to the AF/MF button. To take an image you can now e.g. set focus with AF by half pressing the shutter - then remove finger. Then push the toggle button, recompose and press shutter again. AF will not be invoked by shutter in the 2nd press. In fact it wont til you press the toggle button again.

Jeff Kott:

FWIW, I set my AF/MF button to AF/MF hold with the camera on manual focus. That way the camera only does AF when I am holding the button down. I find this better than AF/MF toggle because once the AF has been engaged and I am comfortable the focus is correct, I am able to disengage AF by simply releasing the pressure on the button which is quicker and creates less movement than another press. This is handy for focus recompose and with the Sony cameras which tend to hunt a lot in AF it is good to get out of AF quickly before the fiddly AF system decides to start hunting.

Wfranks method and Jeff Kotts method....both are nice. Trying to figure out what are the pluses and minuses of each and support what kind of usage respectively...

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:08 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.16 #14 · p.16 #14 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

In this, you af with the af/mf button and trip the shutter with the shutter button. But there is a variation where you can do the same and also assign manual focus/magnify aid to shutter button. For this one needs to select focus mode as MF.

carstenw wrote:
To focus only with button in AF/MF control on rear, and not with shutter release:

Menu>Gear>3>AF w/ shutter>Off
Menu>Gear>6>Custom Key Settings>AF/MF Button>AF On

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:13 AM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.16 #15 · p.16 #15 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I just got my A7 and had a couple of questions

Is there a way to keep focus magnified, even when the shutter is half pressed?

When it comes to peaking, which sensitivity is best for the highest accuracy for something like portraits?

So far I'm liking the camera but having to retrain myself since I used to shoot with a 7d and all autofocus lenses.

Mar 02, 2014 at 09:48 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.16 #16 · p.16 #16 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I find AF a drag allover so I am partial. But I've had the 7D and today I'd consider it a very fast el-cheapo sportscam. Low on IQ but great build and UI-wise great usability.

1) I dont think you can
2) Depends on light, lens (and aperture). I use fast lenses and prefer to use them wideopen or close. My std setting is yellow and high, I rarely change. Raise contrast for the screen to full (does not affect images). With it and the EVF unmagnified you can focus fast, you'll see the pattern moving from ear to nose and back. With (quick) tuning you can press shutter when you are at the eyes even if peaking rarely lits the eyes themselves. Also depends on distance of course.

I use the same for any motif really. Doesnt have to be a face but an object anywhere in the screen you want to set focus on. Stopped down shooters should think differently and when there is time I magnify to fine tune exact. That rarely happens for portraits though - if you're not a studio shooter. But then you wouldnt use the 7D, would you? :-)

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:39 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.16 #17 · p.16 #17 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

In my hands, the back focus button (AF/MF button) is too small to do it with confidence. With this kind of camera, i think AF with shutter button is the way to go for me. Repeated pressing of that button doesn't inspire confidence, looks like its not made for that job.

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:57 AM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.16 #18 · p.16 #18 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

wfrank wrote:
I find AF a drag allover so I am partial. But I've had the 7D and today I'd consider it a very fast el-cheapo sportscam. Low on IQ but great build and UI-wise great usability.

1) I dont think you can
2) Depends on light, lens (and aperture). I use fast lenses and prefer to use them wideopen or close. My std setting is yellow and high, I rarely change. Raise contrast for the screen to full (does not affect images). With it and the EVF unmagnified you can focus fast, you'll see the pattern moving from ear to nose and
...Show more

Thanks for the response. I agree with your assessment of the 7d as well. It is fantastic in a lot of ways, but I found the iq lacking unless I was shooting in ideal conditions.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:53 PM
taemo
• • •
p.16 #19 · p.16 #19 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

is there anyway to use only the viewfinder but when you want to review the images, it displays on the monitor instead of the viewfinder?

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.16 #20 · p.16 #20 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

taemo wrote:
is there anyway to use only the viewfinder but when you want to review the images, it displays on the monitor instead of the viewfinder?

If you have the camera set to show review images, just take your eye off the viewfinder and you will see the review image in the rear LCD.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1       2       3              15      
       17              23       24       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15      
       17              23       24       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.