Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              21       22       end

Sony A7/A7R Setup

dennishh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Very interesting information about the Wi-Fi and tethering capabilities with your A7's. When I was first making the decision whether or not to buy one of these cameras I had contacted Sony directly and managed to get fairly high up in the food chain to ask about tethering. They were very closed mouth as usual, but I did get the feeling that the whole tethering thing was just than being worked on. I'm hoping that this will get better in the near future. Does anyone know if live view tethering is possible with the A7 and just not implemented?

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:21 PM
wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Well it's there (liveview tethering), the only problem is that the functions in the iPhone app is totally stripped so you cant do anything except exp.comp.

EDIT
Here's how it looks on the iPhone. Dont get fooled by the tools symbol, you cant do anything interesting there

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:31 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Ah, I used the Wireless functionality to send photos to my iPad.

On another note, unfortunately the Deactivate Monitor feature doesn't actually deactivate the monitor, which remains on, although nothing is drawn on it. You can see that it is backlit black. This seems like a bug which I hope will be fixed.

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

JonathanP wrote:
For some bizarre reason, Sony have shipped the A7(r) with an old version of the Smart Remote Control app. If you go through the rather torturous upgrade process, the newer version does support ISO etc - I can adjust ISO shutter speed and aperture from my iPad OK.

I updated mine. Takes about 3s to transfer a full size image (24MP). It can also auto-focus where you tap on the screen.

I can see the on-screen controls for shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation and ISO, but I can't figure out how to change them...

Ah, suddenly it started working. Sluggish. The iPad app doesn't seem to show the exposure as it will be, but instead some automated exposure which cannot be controlled.

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:25 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

In summary, I would say that this app is a decent start, but not there yet. Now it needs to be optimised and fleshed out.

Dec 02, 2013 at 10:45 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.2 #6 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Is there a way to disable blinking F-- symbol when using adopted lenses with no electronic connection to the camera?

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:30 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

edwardkaraa wrote:
One question from a new user

Is there a way to close the shutter in off mode, or is it always open? Just wondering as it doesn't seem to be a good idea for the sensor collecting dust.

Do the Leica M's do this?

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:43 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

C1 is creative styles, c2 turns off LCD, c3 is peaking level.
I have rear control wheel button set to magnify.
AF/MF button is AEL HOLD, AEL is AEL Toggle.
I simply use the physical Expo Comp dial for Expo Comp- it is great!
I shoot JPG only, hence the creative styles. I have them setup fairly well for my needs.
I leave it on auto ISO midst of the time, and I'm generally shooting aperture priority unless I need to control shutter speed, in which i jump over to S.

My Fn layout:
Peaking-Focus settings-Focus area-Image Size-Aspect Ratio-OSS
Peak Col-Creative Style-LockonAF-Audio Rec LVL-Audio LVL dis-Metering Mode.

I guess I should get ride of those AF related things, since I sold my FE2870.

I really like the camera, it is great.

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:51 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

ISO1600 wrote:
Do the Leica M's do this?

The shutter is always closed with the M. In fact the meter reading is taken from the shutter blades.

Dec 03, 2013 at 04:07 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

carstenw wrote:
On another note, unfortunately the Deactivate Monitor feature doesn't actually deactivate the monitor, which remains on, although nothing is drawn on it. You can see that it is backlit black. This seems like a bug which I hope will be fixed.

rx1 does the same thing so i don't think it's an accidental bug so much as a feature where the designers didn't consider all the reasons photographers might want to use the feature, or there is a real technical issue. i doubt it will be fixed via firmware update.

Dec 03, 2013 at 04:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

sebboh wrote:
rx1 does the same thing so i don't think it's an accidental bug so much as a feature where the designers didn't consider all the reasons photographers might want to use the feature, or there is a real technical issue. i doubt it will be fixed via firmware update.

No kidding. That would probably be near the top of my list for firmware upgrades, right behind returning the lens to the last focus position when powering up.

Dec 03, 2013 at 04:27 AM
Dustobub

p.2 #12 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

sebboh wrote:

This is my only real hurdle at the moment from my first day's use of an A7R. It'd be okay if there was a Finder/LCD button like on the external NEX viewfinders or some of the Alphas. I'm hoping they either allow a programable button to toggle Finder/LCD or at least fix the Deactivate Monitor quirk. If anyone has any setup alternatives, please send them along.

-Dustin

Dec 03, 2013 at 04:34 AM
RobCD
• •
p.2 #13 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

wfrank wrote:
Just tried the remote app, not very impressive. Isnt there supposed to be time lapse apps and other interesting things? I only see 7 totally uninteresting apps: 4 keyboard-layouts (korean, chinese..), flickr, FB and an SW update for the Remote! :-(

I believe I read somewhere that some of the apps weren't yet available for the A7/r. The NEX 6 does have several decent apps including timelapse, bracketing pro and Multi frame NR.

Dec 03, 2013 at 06:04 AM
nianys
• •
p.2 #14 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Oh, this is a great post ! Here's my set-up :
AF+MF button for focus setttings (everything available under that one control, from focus size box to zone to location and center reset, love it). C1 is Peaking color as I'm primarily a live targets manual focuser, magnification is totally useless in my case, never used it. I found out it is available with the AF/MF button though when a manual lens is attached. C2 is AF modes (S, C, DMF...), C3 is DRO levels, bottom key the thumb wheel is Peaking level (hardly ever change it, but handy in case).
Fn menu goes : ISO (that doubles the rotating wheel function but goes between selected values faster), metering mode, , Creative Styles (Landscape +1 contrast, +1 sharpness), Picture Effects, image ratio, image quality. Bottom row of Fn menu : Flash mode, zebra (set to 95 as an experiment), audio levels display, Soft skin (set to Low I love the output !), Face detection, and Steady shot.
I also leave it on Airplane mode at all times to save battery life. Works peach.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:04 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.2 #15 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

carstenw wrote:
- Is there some way to set the minimum shutter speed of Auto ISO? How does Sony's implementation work exactly?

I will point out that if you're using FE lenses, Canon lenses with the Metabones adapter, or Alpha lenses with the LAEA3 or LAEA4, the camera does know the focal length and keeps the shutter speed at 1/focal length or faster.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:33 AM
slungu
• • •
p.2 #16 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Can one disable the AF-flash in order to use an old non-TTL flash ? I still have an old EZ flash from Canon and the 5N was having problems with this ( or I had problems with the combination ) because sometimes it was flashing in advance.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:41 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

ebrandon wrote:
I will point out that if you're using FE lenses, Canon lenses with the Metabones adapter, or Alpha lenses with the LAEA3 or LAEA4, the camera does know the focal length and keeps the shutter speed at 1/focal length or faster.

Right, 1/60s for my FE35. I prefer to choose myself though.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:57 AM
TSY87
• • •
p.2 #18 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

is there anyway to have it set so that the display screen turns off unless you are doing picture playback?

I have one of the C buttons set for display off, but all it does it turn off the live view, its still displaying minimal information...

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:42 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I think the closest you can do is have the EVF do EVERYTHING... Not exactly ideal.

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Dustobub

p.2 #20 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

ISO1600 wrote:
I think the closest you can do is have the EVF do EVERYTHING... Not exactly ideal.

Yeah, agreed. If they fixed the Deactivate Monitor feature to disable the screen rather just black it out, then it would be much better. I just want it to behave like most DSLR's where you use the viewfinder to shoot and the LCD to review. Simple.

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:20 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password