New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              23       24       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Given the lousy manual and the very complex camera, it might be helpful to gather up tips and tricks for setting up these cameras. I know I have some questions already for which I don't find the answers.

My questions:

- Is there some way to turn off the horizon thingie in the EVF?
- Is there some way to set the minimum shutter speed of Auto ISO? How does Sony's implementation work exactly?

Edited on Dec 04, 2014 at 06:44 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2013 at 06:54 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

1. Yes. DISP button in the 2 settings menu.

2. No, use shutter priority.

carstenw wrote:
Given the lousy manual and the very complex camera, it might be helpful to gather up tips and tricks for setting up these cameras. I know I have some questions already for which I don't find the answers.

My questions:

- Is there some way to turn off the horizon thingie in the EVF?
- Is there some way to set the minimum shutter speed of Auto ISO? How does Sony's implementation work exactly?

Nov 29, 2013 at 07:00 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Thanks Brian. So what is the shutter speed it uses in Auto-ISO, for FE and adapted lenses?

Shutter priority is a bit of a band-aid, since it presumably then won't vary the shutter speed at all? What happens when it hits base ISO and the image is too bright?

I guess I have to try all these things tomorrow.

Nov 29, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I've set up the AEL button for magnifying, because it sits in the right place for your thumb. The rest is less important, but: C3 for ISO, C2 for peaking and down button on the wheel for adjusting LCD brightness (nice to lower when it's dark outside).

I use auto-ISO only in M mode. Just turn the thumb dial for changing shutter speed, and the auto metering will take care of ISO.

Nov 29, 2013 at 07:49 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

One question from a new user

Is there a way to close the shutter in off mode, or is it always open? Just wondering as it doesn't seem to be a good idea for the sensor collecting dust.

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:00 AM
kroyston
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Front wheel: aperture/speed
Rear wheel: exposure comp (yes there is a dedicated dial, but I find it hard to use when using the EVF)
C1: focus mag
C2: focus settings
C3: focus style
Rear dial: ISO
Down dial: peaking level

Tip for those new to Sony: within the menu if you go to DISP, you can select/deselect the view options for both the EVF and LCD. I've set the EVF to display only the level and histogram views, so the DISP button on back only toggles between those two.

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:43 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

In the interest of battery conservation, I am experimenting with the following:

- Airplane mode: ON
- Monitor set to parameter display, not live view
- Alternatively: monitor off, everything in viewfinder, which goes off when your eye isn't on it

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:39 AM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I have set up the AF/MF button for Focus Magnifier because I am used to this position on my NEX7 (the C1 button was set to Focus Settings, which seems to operate as focus magnifier when an alt lens is on the camera so I shall see which is easiest to use).
I have set the C2 button to Focus Mode and the C3 button to Deactivate Monitor, which is quite handy.

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:16 AM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I thought I might also comment on one part of the wifi implementation. In the menu WIFI has its own tab, with two sub-menus. At some point I might figure these out. However, the useful part for me comes under a tab with four squares on it (not sure what this means) and lies under the heading "Application List". This is the part for enabling remote triggering from a smartphone. There are three icons here, for PlayMemories Apps, Application Management and Smart Remote Embedded, and it is the latter which interested me. I was able to connect up to my Android without a problem; it's easy enough if you've been through the Canon 6D learning curve - easier actually - but I won't go into detail here. However, the implementation itself is considerably inferior to that of EOS Remote, which I use with the 6D. Yes, you can see the LiveView image and can trigger the shutter. You can also adjust exposure compensation. I was using a MF lens so I can't tell whether you can remotely focus AF lenses. However, that's it. Unlike EOS Remote, there is no facility to change ISO, shutter speed or aperture (the last is greyed out on EOS Remote when using MF lenses without electronic connections for changing aperture), nor can you magnify the image as on the Canon software. Furthermore Focus Magnification is disabled on the a7 when linked to a smartphone. This is a disappointment because it takes away the whole point for me of using a smartphone to control the camera. Maybe new apps will enable these things but right now it's a non-starter for use in low tripod height landscape shots, unlike the EOS Remote which transforms the use of the 6D in such circumstances.

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I have now also put Deactivate Monitor on C3, very handy. Meanwhile, since I like AF Hold, I have moved Focus Magnification to C1, which I will try to get used to there. I didn't leave it at Focus Settings, because I don't see the use, but maybe there is one?

Edit: Focus Settings might be better. It functions as focus Magnification in manual, and allows you to move the focus area in AF mode, when combined with Flexible Spot or similar, something I have been looking for.

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:01 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I just managed to use my iPhone as a remote the same way as waterden did and I agree it was an unsatisfying experience. I did note however that when you have the Smart Remote app active and the phone connected then the app has it own set of menus where you can change your regular settings like ISO, exp. comp and more. One thing you could do was to activate focus magnification and see the magnified view on your phone but you have to do everything on the camera which is really weird. Makes me wonder if this will work better with a native "supported" lens otherwise the functionality is kind of strange.

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:43 PM
JonathanP

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

waterden wrote:
However, that's it. Unlike EOS Remote, there is no facility to change ISO, shutter speed or aperture (the last is greyed out on EOS Remote when using MF lenses without electronic connections for changing aperture)

For some bizarre reason, Sony have shipped the A7(r) with an old version of the Smart Remote Control app. If you go through the rather torturous upgrade process, the newer version does support ISO etc - I can adjust ISO shutter speed and aperture from my iPad OK.

To upgrade an app you have to create a Sony account on the web, then login on your camera and you should then see the remote control app has an upgrade available. You'll need to have your camera connected to a Wifi access point to do this - would be nice if there was a simpler way to upgrade the apps.

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:52 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

edwardkaraa wrote:
One question from a new user

Is there a way to close the shutter in off mode, or is it always open? Just wondering as it doesn't seem to be a good idea for the sensor collecting dust.

There isn't on the NEXs, so I'd be surprised if there is on the Alphas, Edward. But any dust that settles on a closed shutter is going to end up on the sensor once the shutter opens.

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:59 PM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Thanks Jonathan,but I don't think I'll bother. Maybe if it allowed image magnification but without that it's still pointless for me. But why on earth did these cameras ship with an old implementation of the remote control app? I guess it's all about speed to get to market now and I can understand that.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:05 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

freaklikeme wrote:
There isn't on the NEXs, so I'd be surprised if there is on the Alphas, Edward. But any dust that settles on a closed shutter is going to end up on the sensor once the shutter opens.

Thanks! I wasn't very optimistic about that since I went through the entire menu carefully but couldn't find anything.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

carstenw wrote:
- Alternatively: monitor off, everything in viewfinder, which goes off when your eye isn't on it

Not if you carry the camera around your neck or over your shoulder. I'm just turning it off after every shot. Works fine.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:11 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I carry the camera in my hand, or turn it off and put it away. I was never a camera-o'er-the-shoulder kinda guy.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:58 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Just tried the remote app, not very impressive. Isnt there supposed to be time lapse apps and other interesting things? I only see 7 totally uninteresting apps: 4 keyboard-layouts (korean, chinese..), flickr, FB and an SW update for the Remote! :-(

Also, on wifi, I find image transfer to computer *very* slow compared to cable making me thinking about attaching the cable anyway.

The Sony PC bloatware is totally crap too and I found it hard only to install the wireless transfer. Why do every software manufacturer found under any carpet believe that we consumers urge for them to take over care of our images? Sigh.

Edited on Dec 02, 2013 at 03:18 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:05 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

I tried transferring photos from my A7 to my iPad Air today, and they took about 1s each. The resulting JPG was only 1.7MB though, so maybe we have different settings somewhere?

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:09 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7/A7R Setup

Uhu. No I mean transfering RAWs to the PC (or Mac). Then if you e.g. use the remote to take a shot there are setting in the app for such things as file size etc, oddly though only accessible from cam, not from iPhone/Pad. Or do I miss what you mean?

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:16 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.