New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

JMDobson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

I bought my Canon 5DII last year used for a fair price, and since then I have thrown over 40k shutter count on it. It's been blasted with sand and salt water, and traveled the world at my side. Every time I see Canon release a new model or lower the price on some of their flagship cameras, I get a little twinge telling me to upgrade.
How do you all fight this off? I told myself that I will stick to this camera for a minimum of 3 years before I upgrade.
I do the same thing for lenses, but I keep asking myself if the upgrade will make me more money than it will cost me.

My current struggle is wether or not to ditch my 17-40L for tokina's 14-28 2.8

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:09 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

I doubt a body upgrade will make you much (if any) money, unless the AF is causing you to miss shots.

The wider perspective of 14mm will open up new opportunities, if you're finding 17mm isn't wide enough

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:51 PM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

I shoot frequently in low light, and since I have a 24-70 2.8, I'm honestly just looking for the cheapest way to go from my f/4 UWA to a 2.8

Nov 29, 2013 at 04:02 PM
jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

On a global level, I remind myself:

There will ALWAYS be the next new piece of gear out there. It never stops. I would go broke and/or nuts trying to stay current

On a specific level, I ask myself:

What will a new piece of gear allow me to do that I can't do now?

If I have a good answer to that question, then I consider purchase.

For your question about wide angle at 2.8, have you considered renting? Having the lens you are thinking of in hand for a week may help with the decision. This is what I did with the 500 f4 lens, and it helped me feel good about dropping that kind of change on a piece of equipment.

Nov 29, 2013 at 07:26 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

Tokina 14-28 2.8? Do you mean 16-28? I fought the same battle with my 5d MKII. I finally gave in and got a 5d mkiii. I'm finding it focuses better in low light, makes some of my lenses focus snappier and overall is a worthy upgrade for someone who (like me) likes to shoot in low light. Also I have the Tokina and it is much better than the 17-40.

Nov 29, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

I am going to fight the urge to upgrade until 2025. That a personal goal - my current cameras and lenses won't get any worse. At that time I may go shopping, again.

Nov 29, 2013 at 08:17 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

I say sell the 17-40, the Tokina isn't going to cost you that much more than what you can get out of the 17-40 and by all accounts it is a sharper lens. I held off buying a new camera for years when I had a 5D, its painful.
Paul

Nov 30, 2013 at 01:30 PM
jasoninak
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

gwaww wrote:
Tokina 14-28 2.8? Do you mean 16-28? I fought the same battle with my 5d MKII. I finally gave in and got a 5d mkiii. I'm finding it focuses better in low light, makes some of my lenses focus snappier and overall is a worthy upgrade for someone who (like me) likes to shoot in low light. Also I have the Tokina and it is much better than the 17-40.

I suspect you're not helping

I kept my D200 for 6 years before just recently moving to Canon with a 7D. I basically quit looking at gear for a while and just took photos, so I didn't think about upgrading.

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:41 AM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fighting off the urge to upgrade

I was gonna say, 14-28? I need that!

Dec 05, 2013 at 12:41 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.