Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

A Week in Zion National Park

Alan Brock
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · A Week in Zion National Park

skibum5 wrote:
wow truly fantastic series!
featured thread of the week for me

Wow! Thanks so much for that skibum5; greatly appreciated!

Dec 01, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #2 · A Week in Zion National Park

skibum5 wrote:
wow truly fantastic series!
featured thread of the week for me

Hey.. my vote also went for this fabulous photos! Bravo!

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:34 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.2 #3 · A Week in Zion National Park

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Hey.. my vote also went for this fabulous photos! Bravo!

Thanks so much for that Kee!

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:38 PM
dbehrens
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · A Week in Zion National Park

1 is simply gorgeous - a lengendary capture and I like the way you processed it. . . but I also love 2 and 4.
Dave

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Herb
• • •
p.2 #5 · A Week in Zion National Park

How far did you have to hike in? I have been there before on the way to Bryce, but never hiked at Zion as Bryce was always the goal.

Great shots!

Dec 01, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Herb
• • •
p.2 #6 · A Week in Zion National Park

How far did you have to hike in? I have been there before on the way to Bryce, but never hiked at Zion as Bryce was always the goal.

How far in is the subway?

Great shots!

Dec 01, 2013 at 05:11 PM
barisaxer
• • •
p.2 #7 · A Week in Zion National Park

Great stuff. Inspiring.

Dec 01, 2013 at 05:43 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.2 #8 · A Week in Zion National Park

dbehrens wrote:
1 is simply gorgeous - a lengendary capture and I like the way you processed it. . . but I also love 2 and 4.
Dave

Whoa! I don't know about legendary, but I certainly appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Dec 01, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.2 #9 · A Week in Zion National Park

Herb wrote:

How far in is the subway?

Great shots!

Thanks Herb! For the Narrows, I didn't hike very far. Probably about 3 miles in from the last shuttle stop. You can go as far as 5 miles upstream on the "bottom-up" hike before you have to turn around, but I was a bit limited for time. The hike is not difficult elevation wise, but, depending on the flow rate, you do have to think about almost every step. It can exhaust you mentally more so than physically.

The Subway is a brutal hike, no way around it. Near the beginning of the hike there is a 500 foot steep descent that must be climbed again at the end of your day. It's a 7-mile round trip hike and everything that's worth photographing is in the last quarter mile up the canyon. There are many river crossings on boulders, and the last half mile or so is strictly in the river. Leave early and take lots of water!

The last image from above is the Double Arch Alcove at the end of the Taylor Creek hike. It's 6.1 miles round trip and is very easy. You cross the creek multiple times, but it's never more than a trickle the entire way.

Other than that, I meandered in Zion Canyon a few days but probably only hiked a few miles or so on easy territory.

barisaxer wrote:
Great stuff. Inspiring.

Thanks barisaxer! I was inspired by another photographer's work of this place so I'm glad to be able to "pay it forward" so to speak.

Dec 01, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · A Week in Zion National Park

Beautiful work Alan. It's awesome that your trip was timed perfectly with the fall color this year. Your first shot in particular really stands out. Those trees often thin out very fast, and you caught them full of great fall color. I also really enjoy #4. I love the clouds, and the bit of side lighting on the right side is fantastic. The fall color is also spot on for that shot. Very well done. I'm sure you will be back to Zion again in the coming years. It's a tough place to stay away from, especially once you've had your first dose. :-)

Dec 01, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.2 #11 · A Week in Zion National Park

Love 'em, but #1 an # 4 are my favs

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:51 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #12 · A Week in Zion National Park

Absolutely breathtaking. Deeply saturated befitting the lovely compositions

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:00 AM
placergold

p.2 #13 · A Week in Zion National Park

Alan,
I so enjoyed your images that I followed the link and read your blog. How fun that was to follow your adventures. Thanks for the delightful stories accompanying your stunning photography.
David

Dec 02, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Alan Brock
• •
p.2 #14 · A Week in Zion National Park

@benhorne-Thank you so much! I know I've told you before, but it bears repeating; thanks for all the work you put into your travels there...truly inspirational! And yes, I'm already planning a fall trip next year.

@lukeb-Thank you; those are my two favorites from the trip as well!

@thw2-I am glad you enjoyed them! When the light cooperates, the glowing orange walls are really spectacular!

Dec 02, 2013 at 04:16 AM
helenica
• • •
p.2 #15 · A Week in Zion National Park

Lovely set Alan. I like the first two most, but agree with the others about the blue water.

Dec 02, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Alan Brock
• •
p.2 #16 · A Week in Zion National Park

placergold wrote:
Alan,
I so enjoyed your images that I followed the link and read your blog. How fun that was to follow your adventures. Thanks for the delightful stories accompanying your stunning photography.
David

David, thank you for taking the time to read that! I know it got a big long, but I wanted to try and write in depth about each experience so I could remember everything months or years from now.

@helenica - Thanks for the comment and feedback!

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:48 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #17 · A Week in Zion National Park

Absolutely great work! #'s 1 & 4 stand out the most for me.

-Nick

Dec 02, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.2 #18 · A Week in Zion National Park

Very sweet. I think your best shot though, is "The Fallen" which you didn't post here. The rarety of an un-browned, intact brilliant fallen leaf is something like a gem to me. I recognize it's a matter of taste, but that one is the most pleasing to my eye too. Of the shots posted here, I think the first one is the best componsitionally, but my eyes seem to like smoother tones and less saturation. I guess I have boring taste like that. I think having such strong tones and colors can detract from the overall atmosphere and shear size of the narrows. But it's not like you don't have an awesome file to play with

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:47 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.2 #19 · A Week in Zion National Park

nburwell wrote:
Absolutely great work! #'s 1 & 4 stand out the most for me.

-Nick

Thanks Nick; those were my favorites as well!

@Slabshaft - I like "The Fallen" a lot as well, particularly because I struggle with scenes like that the most. I forced myself to look down though and there were actually a lot of leaves on the fallen tree trunks. It was a bit difficult to isolate just one, but having a 100 mm lens made that a bit easier. Weather also played a major role. It was VERY windy around that time and that blew a lot of leaves off the trees that still had some magnificent color.

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · A Week in Zion National Park

Congrats on the featured thread!

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:58 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password