New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

benjikan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

If anyone is interested, I want to share with you my newest fashion editorial, a Special Louis Vuitton for ELLE Magazine shot with the gorgeous model Marlena Szoka with whom I worked with before for Harper's BAZAAR.

Here is the link to the story and the video:

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/9mpz

Thanks
Ben

Nov 28, 2013 at 03:27 PM
rezende

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

impeccable, man!!!

Nov 28, 2013 at 04:05 PM
benjikan
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

Thanks a lot!!!

Nov 28, 2013 at 05:01 PM
benjikan
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

Another sample:

Nov 28, 2013 at 05:02 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

benjikan wrote:
Another sample:

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Marlena-Szoka-by-Benjamin-Kanarek-for-ELLE-Mexico-6.jpg

Ben you work is always wonderful.
I wonder if I or someone else had have posted the above photo whether it would have been picked apart for the head been chopped off or the sides of her body been too hot from the lights.

Nice work again.
Bud

Nov 29, 2013 at 08:22 AM
BryanB
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

Gorgeous work as always

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

bbourizk wrote:
I wonder if I or someone else had have posted the above photo whether it would have been picked apart for the head been chopped off or the sides of her body been too hot from the lights.

If someone had commented about those things, would those comments be deemed invalid because Ben is a published high-profile photographer? Or do the images stand separate from the artist and all input given should be considered by the poster?

Nov 29, 2013 at 01:41 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

You have a director for your videos now :-O

So is this your first studio shoot w/ your D800? How do you like it in that environment?
And I've always been meaning to ask...how many shots do you do per look/style? The BTS video shows the model doing a lot of poses pretty quickly...

Nov 29, 2013 at 02:20 PM
benjikan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

kenyee wrote:
You have a director for your videos now :-O

So is this your first studio shoot w/ your D800? How do you like it in that environment?
And I've always been meaning to ask...how many shots do you do per look/style? The BTS video shows the model doing a lot of poses pretty quickly...

Was with the D600 which I only used for this shoot and then exchanged it for the D800.

Nov 29, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Pinballgov
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

Greta shots but have a question I see this alot in magazines with heads chopped off or something else, why do they do this I dont think its dont by the photography, thanks

Bill

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:12 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

pinball wrote:
Greta shots but have a question I see this alot in magazines with heads chopped off or something else, why do they do this I dont think its dont by the photography, thanks

Bill

Because they are featuring the clothing, not portraits of the models.

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:44 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

jfinite wrote:
If someone had commented about those things, would those comments be deemed invalid because Ben is a published high-profile photographer? Or do the images stand separate from the artist and all input given should be considered by the poster?

I think Bud's question is legitimate. But if one of us posted these shots, I'm pretty confident we would get critiques for shadows on the face in No. 1 from the back lighting and the flying hair, the blown out highlights in No. 2 (especially if this was a fashion shot featuring that sweater), and the straight-on, hands-down posture in No. 3.

Don't get me wrong. I don't humor myself in thinking that I know what fashion photography is supposed to be about, and Ben doesn't. Justin says that Ben is a high-profile fashion photographer and I have no clue, I don't live in that world. But I'm just looking at the images themselves and wondering about it, as Bud did.

But... as I always say, I don't believe there's one right way to shooting a photograph... lighting the set... whatever. In Ben's world, I'm sure he nailed these shots and got exactly what he wanted. And I'm sure the art directors or whoever hired him were extremely pleased.

Nov 29, 2013 at 04:33 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

friscoron wrote:
I think Bud's question is legitimate. But if one of us posted these shots, I'm pretty confident we would get critiques for shadows on the face in No. 1 from the back lighting and the flying hair, the blown out highlights in No. 2 (especially if this was a fashion shot featuring that sweater), and the straight-on, hands-down posture in No. 3.

Don't get me wrong. I don't humor myself in thinking that I know what fashion photography is supposed to be about, and Ben doesn't. Justin says that Ben is a high-profile fashion photographer and I have no clue,
...Show more

That's curious. Ben has been posting here for years, yet you say, '...if one of us posted these shots...' as though Ben was in some way different from other FM posters. Then you said that you have no clue that Ben is a high-profile fashion photog, but nearly every time he has posted has been a feature of his in Vogue, Elle, or another popular fashion mag.

Note that I'm not attacking you, I've just been fascinated by the idea that some people have, that if a person has a certain set of credentials or experience, then the critique someone would write would be changed (or not written at all!) due to those credentials. I'm equally fascinated by the idea that some people have that a critique could only be given by someone with equal or more experience or credentials, and that somehow an inexperienced person's ideas should be discounted or that they should have to 'prove' that their critique is valid by showing their own work.

FWIW, I think both of the ideas above contribute to fewer and fewer people posting and/or critiquing, and that they devalue the forum as more people become lurkers instead of participating.

Nov 29, 2013 at 08:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

Ben posts on here, and often responds to comments on his own posts, but I don't really see him actively engaged in this forum. I don't recall him once commenting on any post I've put up here, or anyone's. I just checked his first page of posts to confirm, and it seems true.

I'm vaguely aware of a few high-profile photographers outside of the wedding business, but really not many. There's no reason for me to be aware of them, as I'm not a fashion photographer nor do I aspire to be one. Just because he posts here and is published in some foreign ELLE mag or Vogue or whatever does not in itself convince me that's he a high-profile photographer. And it doesn't matter whether I think it or not, because it wouldn't really matter to me, and it shouldn't really matter to him what I think.

I don't agree that a critique should only come from someone with equal or more credentials. I think you're saying that I believe that, but I don't, and I have no clue how you got that from me. Personally, I don't respond to benjikan's posts because I don't think he's interested in my comments/critiques, so there's no point to it. In his OP, he's simply saying that he's sharing his latest editorial and video. That's fine, but I'm not really that interested in that. The fashion world is alien to me, and it's really not that interesting to me.

I really don't believe my ideas contribute to fewer people posting or critiquing. If anything, I'm one of the more frequent commenters to posts, and I occasionally post, when I have time and I have something I care to share, or want to have feedback on. Not sure how that would discourage others from posting or critiquing.

And your responses, in my opinion, is exactly why I usually don't even look or comment on these types of posts. Nothing wrong with sharing, as Ben has been doing. But I tend to stick to trying to provide constructive feedback to people who would appreciate from a non-high profile schmuck like me.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

No Ron, I'm not saying that I think you believe critiques should only come from 'qualified' sources. Rather, I was just commenting on how it seems that many people put certain posters into different 'baskets' due to their perceived levels of accomplishments. It seemed that you were doing something similar by separating Ben from other posters, that's all. My comments were meant to be more generalized, not specifically singling out you and your posts or thought processes. Take care!

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM
benjikan
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

bbourizk wrote:

Nice work again.
Bud

That is a classic VOGUE & ELLE crop and I wanted to have my backdrop at least 1.5 stops hotter. I do that often. Very David Hamilton and Benjamin Kanarek look… ;-) I love how it renders everything. So Spielberg. I also love very tight crops especially when shooting in studio where the attitude and clothing are the focus of the theme.

Nov 30, 2013 at 02:34 PM
benjikan
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

friscoron wrote:
Ben posts on here, and often responds to comments on his own posts, but I don't really see him actively engaged in this forum. I don't recall him once commenting on any post I've put up here, or anyone's. I just checked his first page of posts to confirm, and it seems true.

I'm vaguely aware of a few high-profile photographers outside of the wedding business, but really not many. There's no reason for me to be aware of them, as I'm not a fashion photographer nor do I aspire to be one. Just because he posts here and is
...Show more

Why I never critique other artists work:

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/06/20/do-not-ask-comment-critique-picture/

Nov 30, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

benjikan wrote:
Why I never critique other artists work:

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/06/20/do-not-ask-comment-critique-picture/

There's a difference between commenting on the technicals vs. creative vision vs. the execution to the vision. You, with your experience could help people develop the ability to bridge the gaps. Your post on why you do not comment on other's work make good business sense within your professional circles, but here in this forum, it stands as a copout not to contribute.

Also, I can see your point on not commenting on the creative vision, but certainly the technical details and the execution are things that a contributing member with experience could and reasonably should help with via comments. I think Ron's point is you come to get the glory but don't contribute anything back. You are a self promoter which is part of your business ... any successful business man (woman) is. Of course it's time to put that aside in a forum like this. You take it to the point that you come off as a blow hard and you never give anything back.

As for your work, the technical execution is nearly always perfect ... as far as my untrained eye can see. The subject matter usually has much to be desired but I guess it pays the bills as it's what your customers want and as a good business man, you give your customers what they want. But I've never had a favorable view of the "high fashion" industry ... over-wrought, over-done and fake in a way that is dehumanizing to the human subjects.

Perhaps your work is best presented in the Pro Digital Corner as opposed to the people forum ... just a thought.

Best Regards,
Andre

Nov 30, 2013 at 05:39 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

jfinite wrote:
That's curious. Ben has been posting here for years, yet you say, '...if one of us posted these shots...' as though Ben was in some way different from other FM posters. Then you said that you have no clue that Ben is a high-profile fashion photog, but nearly every time he has posted has been a feature of his in Vogue, Elle, or another popular fashion mag.

Note that I'm not attacking you, I've just been fascinated by the idea that some people have, that if a person has a certain set of credentials or experience, then the critique
...Show more

Where I live there is one guy who is a world-renowned wine judge (and also a really nice, down-to-earth guy). I once asked him how to really tell a good wine from a great one.

His réponse was, to paraphrase, "The great one is the one you think tastes better". Photography, music, dance, doesn't matter, the wine judge had it right.

I know that when I (an amateur just getting back into serious photography after a 30-year hiatus) post images, I hope to receive criticism and if warranted, compliments. That is probably my favorite thing on FM, the very helpful people here, most of whom with more knowledge and experience than I have, who look at the images that I post and occasionally offer a helpful or encouraging word.

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:43 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My New ELLE Magazine Fashion Spread

benjikan wrote:
If anyone is interested, I want to share with you my newest fashion editorial, a Special Louis Vuitton for ELLE Magazine shot with the gorgeous model Marlena Szoka with whom I worked with before for Harper's BAZAAR.

Here is the link to the story and the video:

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/9mpz

Thanks
Ben

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/elle-Mexico-Louis-Vuitton-Benjamin-Kanarek-06.jpg

Such a charmed life you lead! These are awesome pieces work! also, I love Louis Vuitton, as does my wife! She, for their bags, and, I, for their history, and craftsmanship!

Nov 30, 2013 at 08:05 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.