New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Iceland

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iceland

Does anyone know when is the best time to go and visit Iceland? Is it only in the summer time?
I really can't afford to pay for a very expensive workshops that some Pros offer. I'd like to go there by myself, rent a car and just visit the place on my own for a lot less.
If anyone has done that please share the info. What place to go to, hotel, currency exchange, where to rent the car and which one (4x4 or regular compact will do just fine) etc. I really appreciate this info. I will certainly google all I can but if someone has some good advice please let me/us know.
Thanks and happy Thanksgiving.
Greg

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:58 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iceland

Lots of info on LonelyPlanet.com.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iceland

I've been twice and loved it. I don't do tours. First I'll say it's a very expensive place to visit. We (family of 4) were there for 16 days and cost was about $15,000. We ate in nice restaurants when they were available. Renting cars is quite expensive, especially 4WD. If you mostly do the ring road, you don't need 4WD. If you aren't really experienced with offroad/4WD/wilderness, I'd not rent a 4WD and go into the interior by yourself. I've spent a total of 22 days there now and still haven't seen anywhere near all of it. We've only been in summer so far, but hope to go in winter. I love to photo at night and want to light up some waterfalls with my x8 flash. Be advised there isn't much daylight in winter. The good news is it's not at all cold there, even in winter. It's MUCH warmer there than in South Dakota anyway. I suggest flying into Keflavik using Iceland Air, rent a regular car (gas prices are stiff!), and stay in the guest houses. There are no motel chains like Super 8 etc. Rather than just staying in one place, we typically stayed in a different place every night. Rates are pretty steep though and a lot of people just camp. We're becomming pretty well traveled now, and I have to say Iceland is the most beautiful place I've been (I love desolation though.) It's also quite expensive. We weren't being extravagent, but still were spending money like water out of a hose. That said, wife & I would probably retire there if it wasn't for the totally astonishing high taxes they have.

Kent in SD

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iceland

Oh wow, thanks for the info. Still I think this is expensive. Almost 4K per person. Does this include airfare? Of just car, hotel and food etc.

Two23 wrote:
I've been twice and loved it. I don't do tours. First I'll say it's a very expensive place to visit. We (family of 4) were there for 16 days and cost was about $15,000. We ate in nice restaurants when they were available. Renting cars is quite expensive, especially 4WD. If you mostly do the ring road, you don't need 4WD. If you aren't really experienced with offroad/4WD/wilderness, I'd not rent a 4WD and go into the interior by yourself. I've spent a total of 22 days there now and still haven't seen anywhere near all of it. We've only
...Show more

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iceland

there is a guy on rangefinderforum.com

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/member.php?u=49479

Who frequents Iceland regularly and takes great photos all the time. I would see if you could connect wit him for some info.

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iceland

Two23 wroteWe (family of 4) were there for 16 days and cost was about $15,000. It's also quite expensive. Kent in SD

Kent - when did you go ?

I heard it was very affordable now with cheap flights out of London (so maybe cheaper flying into Heathrow first than going direct from the USA - if that is even possible).

At least it's much cheaper for Europeans using the Euro / GBP. The global financial crisis hit them very hard and many banks were bankrupt.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Iceland

Yeah, I don't see anything on that forum. It's just a login page.
Thanks. I have already a few good websites with lots of info.

Jorge Torralba wrote:
there is a guy on rangefinderforum.com

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/member.php?u=49479

Who frequents Iceland regularly and takes great photos all the time. I would see if you could connect wit him for some info.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Iceland

So I am planning on going in October of this next year, and cannot wait!

I have looked into some details, and even am making a map of points of interest - to get an idea of planning (although it all depends on conditions to be honest!)

Plane tickets are relatively cheap. From Seattle to Iceland, RT tickets are around $650-750, depending on time of year/week/day.

Once in Iceland, I will rent a vehicle (varies from $550-1300 for 14 days - insurance included) and will car camp or tent camp. There are companies that give rides into the interior for like $80 for a full day. Only downside is that you can't stay longer.

I might rent a car for the first 9 days, then get a 4WD for the last 4 days and get into the interior. Fuel is going to be a killer.. is like $2 a litre I think right now, but may have gone down.

Nov 28, 2013 at 01:11 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Iceland

I was there in May, and it was a bit early, with only one (1) puffin seen. I think later in the summer to early fall would be good for photography. Car rental will be expensive. Make sure you stay gassed up enough, some places are very remote. In May I was able to reserve hotels with moderate prices, may not be so true later in the year. I have the impression that there are cheaper places but I didn't use them.

If you get off the ring road even the regular, marked roads can be gravel. Going into the interior means serious 4 wheel drive and I don't think you want to do this alone.

Nov 28, 2013 at 01:33 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Iceland

You may be amused by the road classifications

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/MalbikEndar/icelandicroads.jpg

Principal roads (the ring road) are mostly two-lane with single lane bridges. Secondary roads are apt to be gravel. Note the several different classes of "track" with the roughest being the ones that involve river crossings.

Nov 28, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Iceland

Frogfish wrote:
Kent - when did you go ?

I heard it was very affordable now with cheap flights out of London (so maybe cheaper flying into Heathrow first than going direct from the USA - if that is even possible).

At least it's much cheaper for Europeans using the Euro / GBP. The global financial crisis hit them very hard and many banks were bankrupt.

We flew from Twin Cities (Minneapolis) on Iceland Air, to Keflavik. Last trip was a year & half ago, the longer trip was two & half years ago. We are planning again for next winter. The cost I mentioned was the total cost--everything included for family of four. Most of the photos you see are from the ring road or within an hour from it. The interior is basically volcanic desert. I do plan on going deeper into it sometime, but I still haven't been to the dramatic penninsula in the northwest yet for that matter. Everything is expensive there because it has to be brought in, and then they tax the hell out of it.

Kent in SD

Nov 28, 2013 at 05:31 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Iceland

Try this:

http://roel.me/iceland-camera-and-travel-recommendations/

No connection other than a fellow Canuck.

Nov 28, 2013 at 06:38 PM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Iceland

lara_ckl wrote:
Try this:

http://roel.me/iceland-camera-and-travel-recommendations/

No connection other than a fellow Canuck.

I know Roel!
Super nice guy and excellent photographer!

I also happened to go to Iceland this summer for a photo shoot.
http://visionsbydavid.zenfolio.com/megha/puneet/iceland

I definitely want to go back and shoot the northern lights!
Prices are very steep especially because we were there during the summer solstice.

We stayed in some B+B farmhouses and they were great and cheaper than hotels.

BTW do not speed!
We got caught speeding 60Km/h over the posted 90km/h limit (thank God I was not the driver) and the fine was USD$950!
It's easy to do so because of the vast empty roads and this was also at 2a.m.!

Nov 28, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Iceland

That's a crazy fine ! Some simply beautiful shots in that shoot.

Nov 29, 2013 at 06:05 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Iceland

$15,000 for 16 days. Ouch, that is stupidly expensive! I can't even imagine spending that much on a holiday

Nov 29, 2013 at 07:31 AM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Iceland

Frogfish wrote:
That's a crazy fine ! Some simply beautiful shots in that shoot.

Thanks!

Here are more from the shoot
http://visionsbydavid.zenfolio.com/travels/h334cbeb7#h2d6843e5
Pics 120 through 148 are from Iceland

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.