New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

I was hoping someone might be able to help provide actual samples showing the sharpness difference and any degredation in photo image quality.

I have the EF 70-200 F2.8 II that for a couple of years have used the Canon 2x iii to shoot field sports on my Canon 7D. The I have been quite pleased with the results derived from the utility of using the TC. However, of couse, there are some misfocused / poor focus etc that could stem from a variety of reasons; but people generally say that the results would be sharper with the 1.4x iii.

SO, does anyone have this lens 70-200 mk II and both TCs (version iii) to make the following comparisons shooting 25-50x the FL. Ideally 7D but any camera would be good.

focal length mm shown and defined as lens+ TC mm not using crop factor. I am most interested in #3 below.

1. FL 140mm Total -> 1.4 iii f4 x vs 2x iii f5.6 and f5.6vs f5.6
2. FL 210mm Total -> 1.4 iii f4 x vs 2x iii f5.6 and f5.6vs f5.6
3. FL 280mm Total -> 1.4 iii f4 x vs 2x iii f5.6 and f5.6vs f5.6
4. FL 400mm** Total -> **1.4iii cropped to 400mm equivalent vs 2xiii. shot at same distance. f4 x vs 2x iii f5.6 and f5.6vs f5.6

THanks in advance.
Guy

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:48 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

use the digital picture:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=0&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:17 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

Timbop,
You didn't read my post very closely. The link you provided doesn't show any of the scenarios I posted. I want to compare them at like FLs and distances, and then both at 400mm equivalents.

Nov 28, 2013 at 02:15 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

Have you tried trawling flickr and other sites?

Nov 28, 2013 at 02:22 AM
ahender
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

gschlact wrote:
I was hoping someone might be able to help provide actual samples showing the sharpness difference and any degredation in photo image quality.

I have the EF 70-200 F2.8 II that for a couple of years have used the Canon 2x iii to shoot field sports on my Canon 7D. The I have been quite pleased with the results derived from the utility of using the TC. However, of couse, there are some misfocused / poor focus etc that could stem from a variety of reasons; but people generally say that the results would be sharper with the 1.4x iii.

SO, does
...Show more

Logic would indicate that the 1.4x will always outperform the 2x regarding sharpness. I think ANY review you find will state that.

Here's a link to one person's experience.

http://www.stephenshelleyphotography.com/photoblog/2012/03/canon-70-200-is-f2-8-ii-teleconverter/

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

ahender wrote:
Logic would indicate that the 1.4x will always outperform the 2x regarding sharpness. I think ANY review you find will state that.

Here's a link to one person's experience.

http://www.stephenshelleyphotography.com/photoblog/2012/03/canon-70-200-is-f2-8-ii-teleconverter/

exactly. the site I showed compares the 1.4 at 200 (280) and 2x at 400 (200) also, and you can look at the native 200 performance - at any aperture you'd like. That should give you an idea of how the 1.4 and 2x effect performance. Not sure why you'd want to see a 2x at the shortest focal length.

In either case, I am not sure why you expect someone to do all that work for you just because you asked. Especially since you're so polite

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

The Digital Picture is one of my favorite websites.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

I like the digital picture website too. I didn't expect anyone to run out and do these test, but someone might have had some of the scenarios.

Timbop- here is my logic behind the request since I see you are not a mind reader, nor necessarily of open mind either. I don't deny that the 1.4 reviews say faster focusing and sharper. I am trying to determine by how much and whether it is always true over my current range of 140-400mm. Currently, my 2x iii on my lens doesn't noticeable impact my Servo Tracking and produces decent reliability for the soccer and Field Hockey I shoot. My question I seek to answer is whether the difference in IQ is greater in favor of the 2x when shooting 400mm and forced to digitally zoom/crop the 1.4 versus the benefit the 1.4 would have under 280mm??.?

Guy

Nov 28, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

This seems like the type of question that may only be answered by doing the tests yourself. Some things we can only answer by using the gear ourselves in our own way.

Nov 28, 2013 at 09:09 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · actual sample crops comparing Canon 1.4x iii and 2x iii

Paul Mo wrote:
This seems like the type of question that may only be answered by doing the tests yourself. Some things we can only answer by using the gear ourselves in our own way.

+1

Well put Paul

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.