Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

CareyNash
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

I'm not sure if many of you knew or know of our podcast, the Lonely Photographers. If not, my good friend Kelly Redinger and I have been doing this wedding and portrait photography podcast for about 3-4 years now and have 56 episodes. It's a very candid and easy going podcast where we get together and just blather about things photo related. Like everyone else out there that shoots and works alone this is the closest thing we get to water cooler talk so we find it to be a fun and relaxed way of talking shop or venting.

We are not experts, and we do not take ourselves seriously on the show (you'll see). It's about learning and having fun so please take note.lol

Check out this film is dead podcast:

Film is Dead?

Nikon recently announced the retro designed DF camera and it has really changed the playing field in the battle of film vs Digital, or has it? Over the past few years companies like Nikon and Fuji have jumped on board with retro styling in order to create this perfect blend(?) of classic film shooting with digital capabilities. We know that film has recently enjoyed a huge resurgence but is it only a matter of time before it goes back to sleep for about 5 years? We of course get on and off topic but who knows, you may actually agree with us and our take on the future of this and how it can effect your own business model or personal shooting style.

Please let us know what you think and if you have a take on this topic we'd love to hear from you and keep the discussion going!

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:26 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

only remember to check the podcast every few months or so, but I always enjoy it

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:05 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

joelconner wrote:
only remember to check the podcast every few months or so, but I always enjoy it

Thanks Joel. Now that the big chunk of our shooting is slow we have a few months to get some episodes recorded. I'm glad you like them!

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

I think 'huge resurgance' might be overstating it, more and more films are being discontinued. Vintage things are 'in' for the moment and photographers who learned with digital are curious about film - I'm not sure it is much more than a causal interest.

I do wish sloppy work being excused or a photograph being seen as somehow better because it was shot on film would stop. The end result is all that matters. It also seems like zones I and II never existed with film in the zone system if 'film simulation' software is anything to go by.

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

I'm definitely fi-curious. Been enjoying playing with my film camera. I enjoy it more then digital. Driving back and forth to the lab is no fun but it's part of the excitement.

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:27 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

FIlm has had a resurgence lately (because the digital market has somewhat played itself out).
I for one started on film, went to digital when it got good and cheap, and then went back to film.

For people who are not well connected in the film circles you might think it is a fad or some kind of trend but IT IS NOT. I know a great many people who live by film and who use it more than digital for all sorts of professional work.

It is true many companies are discontinuing certain stocks but the want and need is out there. This recent petition to fuji has got close to 10,000 signatures.
http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-discontinuation-of-fuji-3000b-instant-film-by-fujifilm

More and more film labs are also showing up around the country. Many of the popular film labs of the last 4-6 years are so busy they can no longer handle the workload and are turning work away.

Scanners are selling like hotcakes and home developing is as popular as ever.

A trend? Maybe but I doubt film is going anywhere accept in cameras for a LONG time.

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

I'd shoot film again if quickload or readyload came back. Until then loading 4x5 sheets in pitch black without a single speck of dust landing on it is just a step too far

The greatest thing about film for me was not the medium, it is the cameras: rangefinders, TLRs, SLRs with a groundglass are so much fun. I had a great time when the pros were dumping there cameras playing with them and reselling them.

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mredr81

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

I shot mostly film. I have a personal friend that scans my stuff. During the last 6 months he has turned away 30-40 photographers because his turnaround time is around 3 weeks. If you think film is dead, look beyond your digital gear. Film is not dead.

Nov 28, 2013 at 03:42 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

Best blog headlines for photographers.

Film is dead.
The Sony/Fuji/Olympus will kill Nikon/Canon/Leica.
I shot a wedding/sport/journalism event with an iPhone.
I shot a wedding/sport/journalism event with film.
What it takes/means/how to be a professional photographer.
What's in my camera bag.

Nov 30, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

swoop wrote:
Best blog headlines for photographers.

Film is dead.
The Sony/Fuji/Olympus will kill Nikon/Canon/Leica.
I shot a wedding/sport/journalism event with an iPhone.
I shot a wedding/sport/journalism event with film.
What it takes/means/how to be a professional photographer.
What's in my camera bag.

Don't forget a copy/paste press release of every newly announced camera because it's trending.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM
PatFurey89
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

Solid podcast.

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

I have a good buddy who shoots film for everything but he has a dog of a time trying to get his lab to consistently print his stuff without that creamy tone that makes the shots look like they have had a lightroom preset applied to them.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:59 PM
seraphkz
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Film is dead? Lonely Photographers Podcast

Still shooting a leica m3

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:38 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password