FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5DII/Elinchrome issue

Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DII/Elinchrome issue

Posting this for a friend:

-----
I have bought Elinchrome studio lights. with a remote trigger that sits on the flash mount on my 5DII. The lights are http://www.elinchrom.com/product/D-Lite-RX-2.html

The camera does not detect it as a flash and thus no synchro speed is set. When I put the setting on M - the EV blinks at the extreme lowest point. I cannot seem to get the hang of the settings.

Any help / guidance / advise would be appreciated ?
-----

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DII/Elinchrome issue

Your camera cannot meter that sort of flash, you need either a flashmeter or use trial and error to get a correct exposure.

The reason your camera's meter is showing underexposure is because it is trying to meter for ambient light and your settings for the flash will be completely wrong for the available light level- your camera is not faulty. You cannot use ETTL with studio flash

For example you may decide your flash needs an aperture of f11 and you want to use a shutter speed of 1/125th (in M mode set on the camera - remember to set an ISO, not leave it on auto ISO, this won't work properly), this will be total underexposure in ambient light but right for when the the flash goes off

In other words you are working with the camera in a completely manual way, you need to choose an ISO, a S/Speed and an Aperture that matches the output of the flash, you can safely disregard the camera showing underexposure

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DII/Elinchrome issue

Thank you. I'll pass on your response to him.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DII/Elinchrome issue

I use Elinchrom D-Lite 4 monolights with my EOS cameras. As mentioned by DH, I use the camera in manual mode and trigger the Elinchrom optical triggers using an EOS Speedlight in manual mode, usually on the camera. It works great.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.