Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

HopeIsEternal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

Are you tired of breathless posts in the Alternative Forum about a certain new 35mm digital camera system that is only available with two lenses?

Me too!

Post after post about how this or that expensive range finder lens made forty or fifty years ago is barely usable or usable with post-processing correction or with cropping, These lenses all sell for over $800, some sell for thousands. How many soccer moms and dads are going to go that route? How is this serving photographic progress?

Lots of over-hyped school girl excitement about mount adapters, manual / live-view focusing and stop-down metering in 2013 as if that is the best we can expect from "innovative" camera companies in this age of supercomputer designed and optimized optics and AF assemblies? What about the needs of normal every-joe family & hobby photographer?

I'm here personally because I shoot Sony/Minolta gear and this sub-forum is now like the ghetto for non-Canikon systems. I'm not here because I exclusively shoot with range finder lenses or adapted SLR lenses. Given a choice between an AF equipped model of a lens and the manual focus version, I'd probably choose AF 90% of the time. When I shot manual focus it was mostly because the lenses were fast and cheap and could be adapted (M42 mostly) to my Digital cameras. I also loved the high build quality and the nostalgia of the great lenses and cameras of the fifties, sixties and seventies. I also enjoyed shooting film as well for the same nostalgic reasons.

As I browse this forum less and less, I am put off by the torrent of what looks to me to be AstroTurf marketing (especially those from Australia ) promoting an unnamed compact full frame camera system that only has two lenses available for it from the manufacturer. Yes, just two lenses for an interchangeable lens system camera: A slow variable aperture 28-70mm zoom lens that is no good for indoor usage and a 35mm f/2.8 wide angle lens that won't provide subject isolation. That definitely covers all our photographic needs and is better than what we've ever had before, right?

I used to enjoy reading this forum , looking at all the great photos and honest technical discussion but I guess that I now feel bombarded with fairy tale FF CSC posts that seem to be written by the viral marketing department of a major Japanese electronics maker - there is very little focus on the artistry, the practical, the wonderment and magic of photography or how to use what we already have to produce good and lasting images. Instead it is the same message that any gear you have is outdated and you must upgrade your body to FF CSC and spend thousands more on Zeiss/Leica branded gear.

Perhaps I should visit the Canon and Nikon forums more even though I don't have one of those systems. Perhaps I will find more photographers and less measurebaters. Perhaps, my anger at replacing my stolen gear and OVF DSLRs with lackluster SLT/EVF models is adding to my aggravation. I don't know. Perhaps frustration that I can't switch to a more reliable and authentic brand of camera system than what I originally invested in and thus what the insurance will allow for replacement.

All I know is that I no longer care to read sob stories about how your $2500 Leica lenses don't work well on your new A7r or how you're buying the body now and waiting two years (2015) to finally get lenses inferior to or similar to what you already have in the closet collecting dust.

I'm tired of paging through dozens of posts viewing 100% crops of range finder manual lenses I could never afford and which cannot be easily used to quickly capture people - my favorite photographic subject. I'm a guy that buys 3rd party cheap Sigma lenses for G-d's sake! I don't care if a fast lens is sharp across the frame wide-open. I want very fast moderately sharp prime lenses for portraits and indoor low-light use and an affordable super zoom for when I travel or go to the zoo. Is that too much to ask for from a new camera system?

I want to capture lots of good and memorable indoor portraits of my newborn son and family as they grow. I want to have accurate & fast focusing, metering and flash control too. I want to capture the occasional landscape or architectural shot with an ultra-wide angle lens and once in a while I'd like the ability to hook up a 500mm AF lens and take pictures of wildlife if I want.

These are basic photography needs that have not changed for decades and for which this new FF CSC is currently woefully inadequate to meeting despite all the preceding claims of photographic revolution.

If you must torment us with your FF CSC promoting posts at least post some good pictures taken with it that you'd be proud to display if shot with a traditional DSLR! I'm tired of magenta tinged test shots! .

Nov 27, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

Bye Bye. This is a GEAR forum, not a pretty pictures forum. Those sections are at the top of the FM forums page.

Nov 27, 2013 at 02:23 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

And I'm tired of all the complaining about this new camera system clogging all of the forums up, endless posts about why their camera system is better, useless posts about why it's not needed, etc... and most of these posts aren't here, I mean, come on, every new camera system that comes out sees a big jump in the percentage of posts made, the only difference is this is the first FF CSC, and many including myself have been wanting one for a long while, if you don't like it, wait a couple months and it will die down, or you will see the light and join the A7 Team.
2 lenses now, 15 in 2 years I wonder how long till you have a FF E-mount kit?

And honestly, who's forcing you to read all these posts?
You could always go here:
DPReview's Sony Alpha SLR/SLT A-mount Talk forum.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1037

Nov 27, 2013 at 02:29 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

@ HopeIsEternal Ι dont really get your point to be honest
I dont like this camera either, so I just dont read the threads about it, simple. People are excited about it so let them discuss it, what's wrong with that?

Nov 27, 2013 at 03:06 AM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

Spyro P. wrote:

@ HopeIsEternal Ι dont really get your point to be honest
I dont like this camera either, so I just dont read the threads about it, simple. People are excited about it so let them discuss it, what's wrong with that?

You're right.

Nov 27, 2013 at 03:47 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

I didn't read your post (can you blame me?), but my answer is "no". I read very few topics. And generally, I just take photographs.

Stop reading crap you don't care about & just make the photos you want to make. Today.

Nov 27, 2013 at 03:57 AM
nsarcastic
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

Waaaaaaaaaaaa......waaaaaaaaaaa......

Nov 27, 2013 at 04:00 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

I have to tend to agree with you. I was initially kind of excited about this camera, but over the last several weeks I snapped back to my senses. I loved the idea of a tiny FF camera that I would backpack with one week and shoot the kids running around the next. But the lack of options out there for this camera made me happy to still be in Canikon land. I used to spend a ton of time on this board as well, because I loved shooting cheap Olympus lenses on my 5D, but anymore there isn't much over here that I am interested in -- and that is fine. In the end it doesn't really matter, after all.
Paul

Nov 27, 2013 at 04:26 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

hmm, you were an active participant on the A7 thread but now that the topic doesn't interest you anymore it should disappear?

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:18 AM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

HopeIsEternal wrote:
bla bla...

What are you talking about? Many members, me included, are already posting "some good pictures taken with it that you'd be proud to display if shot with a traditional DSL" on this forum, despite the camera just being released a few days ago, on selected markets. There are thousands of images, many of them showing much higher IQ than ever seen before from any Canikon DSLR.

PeaktoPeek wrote:
But the lack of options out there for this camera made me happy to still be in Canikon land.

Lack of options? You choose to ignore the obvious. On the A7/R you can use any Canikon lens, or any other lens ever invented. The launch lenses, Zeiss 35 and 55 are superb, and more are on the way.

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:22 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

briantho wrote:
There are thousands of images, many of them showing much higher IQ than ever seen before from any Canikon DSLR.

Objection, your honour! The Nikons have good sensors too!

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

LoL @ above rant

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:32 AM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

carstenw wrote:
Objection, your honour! The Nikons have good sensors too!

True, but Nikons lacks adaptability, hence we have never seen photos taken with the world class lenses we are now seeing for the first time being used on a FF 36 megapixel camera.

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:32 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

You said IQ, not adaptability

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:52 AM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

carstenw wrote:
You said IQ, not adaptability

Yeah, and IQ is affected by which lenses you can use on the camera. Nikon has a good lens or two, I'm sure, and the ZF line of course, but there are many other options which didn't have a FF platform before, and now has one on par with the best DSLR. The potential IQ is thus higher on the A7R because adaptability is greater. That is, lens options are endless, unlike on that fat Nikon camera.

Edited on Nov 27, 2013 at 06:04 AM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:03 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

HopeIsEternal wrote:
Are you tired of breathless posts in the Alternative Forum about a certain new 35mm digital camera system that is only available with two lenses?

Me too!

Post after post about how this or that expensive range finder lens made forty or fifty years ago is barely usable or usable with post-processing correction or with cropping, These lenses all sell for over $800, some sell for thousands. How many soccer moms and dads are going to go that route? How is this serving photographic progress?

Lots of over-hyped school girl excitement about mount adapters, manual / live-view focusing and stop-down metering in 2013
...Show more

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:04 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

HopeIsEternal .. Could you at least keep your whining to the actual posts? this is getting ridiculous.

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:16 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

briantho wrote:
There are thousands of images, many of them showing much higher IQ than ever seen before from any Canikon DSLR.

I must say that the pictures that I have seen up to now don't show the expected high qualities of the camera. In fact most of them are just plain bad and I consider them as first trial test-shots. I suppose this is what you get when all kind of old crappy lenses are used that were not made for this camera.

When I compare this with the D800(E) threads there is quite some difference in quality in favor of the Nikon. But I am sure this will come with the A7r when all tests are done and people start taking real pictures again.

Edited on Nov 27, 2013 at 07:04 AM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:27 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

I am still curious if the odd Sony 12-bit image thing will keep a lid on the IQ... Wasn't there also something about no lossless compression?

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:32 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tired of breathless posts about 35mm digital camera system with two lenses?

FWIW, I enjoy all the shuffle and hoopla surrounding the A7/r. In fact, I would've been more shocked had there been little or no talk. And the images are starting to trickle in, too.

All the more data for us slower adaptors to make a decision.

Jaakko

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:47 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.